View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 12:53 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

I have just started cleaning and inspecting the old valves from my engine. Like Dazs, they were the SuperTech valves. And like Dazs, they also had hairline cracks forming.

Just thought i would bump this thread to highlight that it is not an isolated incident. Luckily for me, it hasnt gotten bad enough that the valves snapped and destroyed everything like Daz. But as you can see from the photos, the potential was there. Who knows how much longer they would have lasted if my motor had not spun a bearing instead.

Im just putting this out there so that hopefully it doesnt cost anyone else an expensive race motor. I sure as shit wont be buying Supertech again. And i would strongly advise otheres to also consider this. I dont know what to do if they are already inside a motor you have. But, it certainly does have potential to cost you big time if one does let go.

These valves were purchased around 2011/2012. And have been in the motor since then. The motor has done relatively few KMs. But has seen a bit of motorsport use.

Super tech valve by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr
AWDmoke (20-01-2018), Dan [GTI] (02-01-2018), dazdavies (20-01-2018)