Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2018, 10:14 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Awesome work mate. Any progress with engine yet?

Are you attaching any of the bar work to the shell of the car or leaving as is? Like the roof line, b-pillars and a-pillars.
To answer your other question about attaching the bar work onto the shell.

Yes, i will be linking the cage in as much as i can. The CAMS books says you can tie in at more places than the basic mounting points for the main loop, front pillars and rear back stays. So i figure the more the merrier.

I will be gussetting the A pillars to the front lateral bars. I have a hydraulic hole punch and a set of really nice dimple dies. So I can do a fancy dimple die gusset along the A piller.

I will tie the B pillars to the small brace bar that goes between the main loop and the front lateral loops. This lines up perfectly with where the OEM seatbelt upper mount would have gone. So it should be a relatively strong part of the car.

I will also tie the door bar into the B pillar. It needs to run right past it, so I should be able to gusset/link it in relatively easy.

In the photos, you can see I have got plates welded in at the base of A pillar that line up with where the dash bar goes. So I can tie it in there really well too. That also looks like a really strong area of the shell, so it will be good to tie in there i think.

I am also thinking of tie-ing in the front strut towers aswell. But havent committed to it 100% yet. I like the idea of linking the front towers in, but its quite a difficult job to line it all up for the transition through the firewall/gutter.

I also want to tie in a vertical bar from the center of the main loop stright down to the trans tunnel. This will give a 3rd leg for the main hoop so to speak. And i will basically have a 8 sided X brace in the middle of rhe main loop, which should be hella strong.

I have also fully stitch welded the floor of the cabin, from inside and also from below. I will eventually stitch weld the front of the shell up to the front towers. And also stich weld up the pillars etc too.

Last edited by Bram; 29-12-2018 at 10:40 PM.