View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 11:33 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Lithium batteries arent too expensive these days. They cost similar to what AGM cost a decade or 2 ago.

I cant speak for reliability in a street car yet, as i just havent seen enough of them to comment. Although i cant see there being an issue provided they are sized right. Lithium batteries in power tools and consumer electronics are very reliable these days.

The only thing i can see as a potential issue, is the charging current. The battery i bought was a motorcycle battery. And generally speaking, MCs have a smaller charging system than a modern car. Too small a battery, and then having it discharged, then running the car could push to many amps into it. If it always remains charged, then the system voltage will be high while running and the alternator reg will limit output. So general running in theory, should be fine.

You can buy car specific lithium batteries but they cost a bit more than MC ones. They have additional electronics inside them for cell balancing and current control i believe.

On a race car that does little KMs. And has multiple large fuel pumps to eat up power from the alternator, then I cant see a MC lithium battery causing any issues.
nick73 (02-01-2019)