Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 28-01-2019, 05:48 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

A little more progress on the cage. Got the strut tower bars and an additional small support bar welded in. Well mostly welded in. There is a small section of the joins that meet the front leg that is impossible to weld in because its so close to the side of the cabin. Im not sure what im going to do here?

The weld on the upper brace to lateral loop front leg might be do-able once the windshield is out. As i can see down there through the windshield enoigh to weld it, if i had access that way. The lower one is going to be extremely difficult. The lower weld does line up with the opening in the panel that the wiring for the doors goes though. Which might allow me to get my #9 flex torch in with a stumpy cap and stubby lense. It fits and can target the section that needs to be welded. But I cant see what im doing down there. And it is extremely out of posistion trying to posistion my body in such a way i can even weld it, let alone see it.

I did fully weld the small support bar to the bar that goes to the strut towers. As I was able to fully weld it outside the car, then insert it as a completed unit.

The metal plate where the tube pass through is pretty much fully welded. I was able to weld it from both sides giving basically a full circumference weld. Aswell as fully welding the plate into the car. I also welded in my boo-boo hole on the passenger side, so that it is less obvious.

At the forward junction to the strut tower, I was able to basically fully weld the entire circumference with the MIG, by aiming the torch in through the hole in the top of the tower to get access to the back side.

2019-01-26_06-34-03 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

2019-01-26_06-56-28 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

This one you can see the stitch welding inside the wheel arch burning through a bit.
2019-01-26_06-29-22 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

This is where it meets the forward section of the strut tower. In the back ground you can see where I have stitch welded the tower from the inside. Its much neater way of stitch welding it in.
2019-01-26_06-33-38 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Drivers side done.
2019-01-28_04-27-37 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr