View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 06:52 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Allan View Post
What kill switches are you trying to install and why?

Have you considered a decent alarm system - much easier than multiple kill switches.

If you do go down the switch path - you'll want to cut ignition and fuel.

Igniton can be found under the steering column - you'll see a connector with usually 4 heavy gauge wires coming from the Igniton barrel. Unsure on the GR's but the GD's are either solid white or white with black trace for ignition cut. I'd recommend using a relay to break that one unless you have a switch with 20A+ rated contacts.

Fuel for the GD's there is the relay located behind the passenger kick trim. You can cut into that circuit like the alarm systems do - or try locate it around the fuse box area.

In all honestly for the headache I'd just get an Autowatch fitted. Cute fuel and Igniton really easy and without the messing about.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Perth-WRX mobile app
The entire reason to have kill switchs is incase someone steals your keys. An alarm system (typically) is simply disarmed with a remote key fob, which is clipped onto the key ring. So offers practically zero protection against this.

(Yes the some systems such as the one you mentioned can be setup with anti hijack or anti key theft switchs. But more often than not, these features, even if supported by the alarm, arent setup/engaged.)

A simply hidden switch can be a good way to protect against key theft. The cars themselves are basically impossible to 'hotwire'. And an alarm with addition kill circuits, but disarmed by a remote key fob on the key ring offers zero extra theft protection other than a siren to warn and deter. And a flashing light on the dash to hopefully deter break ins.