View Single Post
Old 26-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

rex rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX
Hey guys,

Got an October '01 WRX - Bugeye.

Looking to do the Full TBE Exhaust and Up-Pipe. I have heard that it is pretty much essential once completing this modification that the car is retuned, either re-flash factory ECU, Piggy Back or complete replacement ECU.

I have done my shopping around, and have been hooked up with a reputable contact who is involved in a fair bit of WRX/Liberty racing/performance/rally aus. He is able to hook me up and fully install a good quality custom TBE and up-pipe for a very nice price.

I have asked him whether or not a retune will be necessary, as I may get boost spikes, run lean/reach etc etc. He said he'd ask a few people and get back to me. Well he got back to me next day and said it wouldn't be necessary.

He said at the end of the day, the intake is all a 'closed system', and that the 02 sensor would natively provide the correct fuel/air mixtures regardless of fitting a TBE, and i shouldn't have any driveability issues. After hearing this, i am curious as to why everone mentions that an ECU upgrade is required?

Is this some form of scam? Is it said because it's not *absolutely* neccessary, but is generally a recommendation to get the most of your newly installed modification? Perhaps a safety-net to ensure that the motor is not damaged. I have heard that the 06 WRX definitely needs a tune afterwards.

Looking for some good feedback!

Cheers,

RichX
I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my 05 Sti and have been told that this model has a learning ECU which means that it doesn't need a tune. I haven't heard that before - whats the concensus???