View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKilla
Its for wank factor, if anything the car will run worse when it goes "PSHH".
Logically speaking, the car running worse has nothing to do with the fitment of a atmospheric-style BOV... as other's have stated, it's your tuning!

I believe that BOV are a good safety precaution (turbo cavitation protection). It's very difficult to totally prove how they effect outright performance etc, but as long as it works effectively, any brand- even factory will do IMO.

I know there's the age old debate about using or not using one... happens over and over on other forums! The usual argument is:

"I've been running no BOV for years with my TD05 and it's fine"... however, as soon as you point out what can happen to say a VF22 (bent and broken impeller blades etc) the usual reply is"

"yeah, well you'd have to be stupid to run a VF22 without a BOV.. those turbos are a lot weaker!"

Here lies the irony of their statement, they seem to be missing the point... all things being equal, a turbo doesn't just fall apart because it's just simply a 'weaker design', it falls apart because there's some bloody huge backpressures acting on the weaker designed turbo!
By admitting that some turbos cannot be run without a BOV only strengthens the overall argument of indeed using some form of pressure-bypassing device!! /rant off.

I've been using a gfb Stealth FX for a few years now. Great unit because they are designed well (acetyl piston rings etc), can be serviced locally- I get mine done approximately each year, are the largest diameter port in the range, and can run silent or vented to atmosphere. I generally run it closed, only opening for events as I find it gives 'audible feedback' as to where boost is etc at different throttle positions/ different corners etc.

Last edited by subarooboy; 12-11-2006 at 10:18 AM.