Thread: Group B
View Single Post
Old 17-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

went quote searching

Quote:
To give you an idea of the kind of performance GroupB cars were capable of I'll mention that in the 1986 season Henri Toivonen made two laps around the Estoril circuit, during a stage of the Portuguese rally, the fastest of which, in 1 minute and 18,1 seconds, would have qualified him in the sixth position of the F1 Grand Prix that same season. Ayrton Senna had the Pole Position in the 1986 Portuguese Grand Prix in 1 minute and 16,7 seconds...Toivonen was using the Lancia Delta S4 and was accompanied by his usual co-driver Sergio Cresto.
Quote:
Group B factoid: The Delta S4 was so fast around the Estoril GP circuit that it would have qualified in 6th place for it's homologation year GP if it had been allowed to enter!
Quote:
The "myth" has some facts in it. Toivonen DID run teh S4 on the Estoril circuit ..... BUT it included a loop of gravel, so comparing times isnt' "fair". BUT it was said that the F1 teams stopped their "strutting" when they saw the times Henri posted
Quote:
As i read somewhere, the Lancia Delta S4 under Henri Toivenen lapped the portugese F1Gp track that year in a time quick enough to secure 6th on the Gp F1 grid!
wouldn't surprise me in the least. with unrestricted horsepower (600bhp in most cases) and a minimum weight of 960kg your going to be *flying* wether its on tarmac, gravel, or off the side of a cliff.

its also on wikipedia, so it must be true :P

Quote:
In 1986 Henri drove the Delta S4 at the Estoril track. He set such a fast time that he would have qualified in 6th position at that years Formula 1 grand prix. This proved the immence speed of the Group B cars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Toivonen

Last edited by jEstEr?; 17-11-2006 at 10:28 AM.