Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Complaints and Grievances (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/complaints-grievances/)
-   -   Police and foglights (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/complaints-grievances/41284-police-foglights.html)

Xx_AzzA_xX 02-04-2011 10:01 AM

Police and foglights

hay Guys, me and my dad were out in the wrx when a trafic cop pulled us over and gave us a fine of $100 and 1 point for having our front fog lights on. I personally think this is Bullshit because the front fog lights are no brighter than your normal driving lights and the amount of people you see with them on at night is crazy! i can understand about the rear ones but the front ones is utter shit. Can the police actually fine us for this? :mad:

mitchwnz 02-04-2011 10:02 AM

Yes... It is illegal to have these on unless there is actual fog.

Smurf 02-04-2011 10:04 AM

As far as I Know, although it sucks ass they can .. Friend got done for same thing a few yrs back

Bgwrx 02-04-2011 10:06 AM

dont know why you would even bother turning then them on in the first place, mine are fucking useless

johnvk7 02-04-2011 10:07 AM

yes they can, suck it up, working with Subaru's every day, I here that story a fair bit.
Having said that, how many Excels do you see with the fog light in the rear bumper on? Hope they cop it too.

teejay 02-04-2011 10:07 AM

Oooooooh look at me I've got foglights!!!

Bgwrx 02-04-2011 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=johnvk7;551911]yes they can, suck it up, working with Subaru's every day, I here that story a fair bit.
Having said that, how many Excels do you see with the fog light in the rear bumper on? Hope they cop it too.[/QUOTE]

my friend got done with the excel rear fog light, stupid thing is her model of car fog light automatically comes on when the lights are turned on. i had to remove the bulb so she wouldnt get another fine

jasonmurray 02-04-2011 11:23 AM

[url]http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Traffic/Roadsafety/tabid/991/Default.aspx[/url]

Mrs got done about 6 years ago in my Prius. I only just picked up the car that morning from work and she took it to go get subway. The fog lights and headlights are on the same stork so she flicked it all on not knowing.

Police pulled her up outside Subway with lights flashing and everything and made it look like a huge drug bust cos they were searching the car etc... they just wanted to have a look at a prius... fkncnts! She also got a $100 fine and 1 demerit point.

SyncSubaru 02-04-2011 11:32 AM

Cops nearly got me for this - They let me off though.

Its bullshit i agree. The foglights are not even shining at eye level, its more at the road. Safer than driving with highbeams on like most fuckheads seem to do lately.

My view is that more light = more safety in the dark... I drive with them on anyway I dont give a shit. Part of the WRX Look is the foglights....

Xx_AzzA_xX 02-04-2011 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=jasonmurray;551945][URL]http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Traffic/Roadsafety/tabid/991/Default.aspx[/URL]

Mrs got done about 6 years ago in my Prius. I only just picked up the car that morning from work and she took it to go get subway. The fog lights and headlights are on the same stork so she flicked it all on not knowing.

Police pulled her up outside Subway with lights flashing and everything and made it look like a huge drug bust cos they were searching the car etc... they just wanted to have a look at a prius... fkncnts! She also got a $100 fine and 1 demerit point.[/QUOTE]

Same with us. they had all the lights on making out it was a something massive. I have great respect for police that patrol the streets and actally catch people for doing bad crimes but the trafic police are just wankers. he said to us that the cops had warned us about it before and that its our second warning so he gave us the fine....funny thing is, we have never got told about it before and didnt even know it was against the law, and when we asked for proof he told us to get back into our car.

DEDLYWEPN 02-04-2011 11:43 AM

Yet I've seen more than one unmarked rex at night with their foggies on, rules obviously aren't the same if you have a badge!

Xx_AzzA_xX 02-04-2011 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=SyncSubaru;551947]Cops nearly got me for this - They let me off though.

Its bullshit i agree. The foglights are not even shining at eye level, its more at the road. Safer than driving with highbeams on like most fuckheads seem to do lately.

My view is that more light = more safety in the dark... I drive with them on anyway I dont give a shit. Part of the WRX Look is the foglights....[/QUOTE]

I agree, but the amount of cars you see with them on anyways is crazy. the police could make soo much money just by doing people for foglights. I just hate how the trafic cops who pull you over actually like doing their jobs and making other peoples lifes shit.

Kato 02-04-2011 11:44 AM

Unfortunately ignorance of the law is not a defense.

I don't understand how a car manufacturer is allowed to sell a car that has an illegal function. If you can't drive with headlights and fogs on, make the wiring so it can't happen imo.

ImPreSiV 02-04-2011 11:46 AM

A mate of mine got pulled over by cops in a BA xr6 and was told he was going to be fined $100 for having his foglights on, until my mate pointed out the police officers also had their foglights on on their xr6. They didn't fine him.

Master D 02-04-2011 11:49 AM

Could buy an STi
No Foggies As Standard :D lol

Xx_AzzA_xX 02-04-2011 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;551954]A mate of mine got pulled over by cops in a BA xr6 and was told he was going to be fined $100 for having his foglights on, until my mate pointed out the police officers also had their foglights on on their xr6. They didn't fine him.[/QUOTE]

Classic :D good on him.

Luigi 02-04-2011 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=Master D;551959]Could buy an STi
No Foggies As Standard :D lol[/QUOTE]
To bad the 2011 model STI comes with Fog lights.

phizzle 02-04-2011 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=teejay;551912]Oooooooh look at me I've got foglights!!![/QUOTE]
This

JDM_STYLE 02-04-2011 01:47 PM

Nothing fog light covers can't fix, plus the lights look shit anyway!!!!!

red dragon2002 02-04-2011 09:41 PM

how about the audi LED lights?

Addy 02-04-2011 10:16 PM

I love the look of WRX fog lights being on. I don't do it because it IS illegal.
Kato, it is not an illegal function. They're meant to be used when there is fog. Ok, I don't know if Perth ever has fog, but there is fog in Australia (Adelaide Hills).
I bet if you were driving around with all 4 indicators flashing you'd be pulled over. But they were put there for a reason (if you break down).

Adi

Shinobiken 02-04-2011 10:16 PM

ok, i'm aware that having foggies on when its not raining or no fog is illegal, but whats the real reason behind this? if its something like gauges that can POSSIBLY obstruct ya view, fair enough, but what could fog lights do?

R3X 03-04-2011 12:15 AM

[QUOTE=red dragon2002;552125]how about the audi LED lights?[/QUOTE]

Audi lights are written as day time driving lights, which a few manufacturers have followed and aftermarkets kits that are available. It makes the car visible during the day, which helps on long stretches of highways.

silver_opal 03-04-2011 12:22 AM

When I lived in the bush the local senior sergent told me to have as many on as I wanted because that way I was seen by oncoming traffic.
Day I moved back to Perth had this hell scary huge mother coppa let me off with a warning. Yep definitely illegal to have on...

Pimpreza 03-04-2011 02:47 AM

[QUOTE=Shinobiken;552136] but what could fog lights do?[/QUOTE]

Annoy the living fuck out of the people in front of you, they are totally useless day or night & only posing cocks use them.:mad:

westoz 03-04-2011 02:20 AM

[QUOTE=Bgwrx;551914]my friend got done with the excel rear fog light, stupid thing is her model of car fog light automatically comes on when the lights are turned on. i had to remove the bulb so she wouldnt get another fine[/QUOTE]Back in the early 90's there was a known conflict between the VSR's and ADR's on the issue of foggies. Eventually a Police Commissioner's instruction was issued that fines were not to be issued until such time as the conflict and legislation were corrected; can't tell you how that has panned out to present day but since fines are still being issued, perhaps the Commissioner's instruction has since been rescinded.

Removing the bulb in my view would make the car illegal to drive. Are you sure that there isn't an accidentally knocked-on switch for the said light?. I've seen a couple of Excel models (one previously owned by my son) where the rear fog switch is near the ignition... easily turned on accidentally by a knock from the right hand - just like the GC8 front fogs switch.

[QUOTE=Xx_AzzA_xX]
Same with us. they had all the lights on making out it was a something massive. I have great respect for police that patrol the streets and actally catch people for doing bad crimes but the trafic police are just wankers. he said to us that the cops had warned us about it before and that its our second warning so he gave us the fine....funny thing is, we have never got told about it before and didnt even know it was against the law, and when we asked for proof he told us to get back into our car. [/QUOTE]Hmmm... I fail to see how the police who stopped you would know that you had received a previous warning since such warnings are not recorded on database? Unless of course you had been stopped for the same thing on a recent occasion by the same officer or your vehicle/personal details and the previous incident which resulted in the warning were recalled by another officer when hearing it on radio?

red dragon2002 03-04-2011 07:26 AM

[QUOTE=R3X;552161]Audi lights are written as day time driving lights, which a few manufacturers have followed and aftermarkets kits that are available. It makes the car visible during the day, which helps on long stretches of highways.[/QUOTE]

i see, now it is also introduced on the new 35 gtr

Kato 03-04-2011 09:36 AM

Front LED's are a european requirement now. It will possibly be a requirement here soon since HSV has them and supercheap sell a kit for them :p

Also the light intensity of LED's is very minimal which is why you can have them + headlights on.

Fog lights + headlights has the intensity of high beams, which is why you get a fine for driving around with them on.

Despite what people want to think, I've yet to see a law in Australia that says you can drive with headlights and foglights on at the same time. You can drive with park lights and foglights as the light wattage from the front is ok then.

Master D 03-04-2011 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=Kato;552193]You can drive with park lights and foglights as the light wattage from the front is ok then.[/QUOTE]

I normally would do this around dusk/afternoon.

sic-em-wrx 03-04-2011 09:49 AM

but they are not foglights....actual "foglights" have yellow lenses, what are fitted to subi's and other manufacturers are spot lights. I would read thru adr legislation or something along those lines to find out. But as you have said manufactures would not fit something that does not comply with adr rules.

Bob 03-04-2011 09:59 AM

IMO driving lights are more a pencil beam than a spread beam 5m in front of the bumper.
Fog lights (yellow or white) are next to pointless this side of the country. We rarely drive in conditions that warrant the use.
You would get more use out of them if you converted to a decent set of proper driving lights and wire them into the high beam circuit.

DRLs are a different story. DRLs and driving with the headlights gets you seen on the road. DRLs are usually around 5W bulb or low watt LED. If this is your bag you can get ADR approved LED DRLs.

Bgwrx 03-04-2011 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=westoz;552171] Are you sure that there isn't an accidentally knocked-on switch for the said light?. I've seen a couple of Excel models (one previously owned by my son) where the rear fog switch is near the ignition... easily turned on accidentally by a knock from the right hand - just like the GC8 front fogs switch.

[/QUOTE]

there was definitely no switch for it, i even contacted the car yard she bought it from regarding her options.

teejay 03-04-2011 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=R3X;552161]Audi lights are written as day time driving lights, which a few manufacturers have followed and aftermarkets kits that are available. It makes the car visible during the day, which helps on long stretches of highways.[/QUOTE]

They will be mandatory under European law from 2013 and expect that to spread slowly to US and here.

[QUOTE=Pimpreza;552170]Annoy the living fuck out of the people in front of you, they are totally useless day or night & only posing cocks use them.:mad:[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

RamWRC 03-04-2011 11:19 AM

i used to use fog lights at dusk and dawn with just my park lights on, as the parks were useless on my old subi. worked well and never had any trouble from cops. but i'd turn them off when i switched the headlights on. i dont understand why they come from manufacturer with them if we can't use them? (eg. aust built cars)..

i work with mercs, and they're all coming with either led driving lights, or actual fog lights that look like a fancier version of the subi ones.. if they're built for australia, yet are illegal to use, then why do they come with them as standard? they're actually brighter than the ones on my wrx. makes no sense to me...

Rexy03 03-04-2011 04:32 PM

They are not illegal to use - they can only be used in fog or adverse weather conditions and should be used by themselves with headlights off to gain the proper advantage of fog lights.
It is illegal to run more than two forward facing lights in built up areas ( not including indicator and clearance lights )
I have driven in fog conditions where I couldnt see past my bonnet with headlights on, and this was for many kilometers not just a few meters. with headlights off and a real set of foglights on I was able to see a good 5 meters ahead and could continue to move at a steady pace, so they do have there applications but in town is not one of them, I have never used my WRX foggies and have them covered, if I could find something that would fit properly I would change them to driving lights ie: spot lights

Xx_AzzA_xX 04-04-2011 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=westoz;552171]Back in the early 90's there was a known conflict between the VSR's and ADR's on the issue of foggies. Eventually a Police Commissioner's instruction was issued that fines were not to be issued until such time as the conflict and legislation were corrected; can't tell you how that has panned out to present day but since fines are still being issued, perhaps the Commissioner's instruction has since been rescinded.

Removing the bulb in my view would make the car illegal to drive. Are you sure that there isn't an accidentally knocked-on switch for the said light?. I've seen a couple of Excel models (one previously owned by my son) where the rear fog switch is near the ignition... easily turned on accidentally by a knock from the right hand - just like the GC8 front fogs switch.

Hmmm... I fail to see how the police who stopped you would know that you had received a previous warning since such warnings are not recorded on database? Unless of course you had been stopped for the same thing on a recent occasion by the same officer or your vehicle/personal details and the previous incident which resulted in the warning were recalled by another officer when hearing it on radio?[/QUOTE]

We were never told about it before hand, the twat was just trying to cover his ass.

rick 13-04-2011 05:53 AM

People become cops because they are fucking useless at everything else, just a bunch of fat dumb fucks that can suck my dick, they are all just jealous of the cars we drive cause cause they are just absolute fuckheads.

Then again this country isn't far off from being fucked

Man I feel better now :D

Bgwrx 13-04-2011 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=rick;555406]People become cops because they are fucking useless at everything else, [B]just a bunch of fat dumb fucks that can suck my dick[/B], they are all just jealous of the cars we drive cause cause they are just absolute fuckheads.

Then again this country isn't far off from being fucked

Man I feel better now :D[/QUOTE]

we will see who you will be crying for when some one breaks into your house and beats the shit out of you and rapes your girlfriend

matthews 13-04-2011 07:00 AM

I'm not sure why they are used as we never get any fog. I like to see them more as a 'look at me' option. I find them a pain and they are bright and do effect your driving when heading towards a car with them on.

johnvk7 13-04-2011 07:50 AM

[QUOTE=Bgwrx;555407]we will see who you will be crying for when some one breaks into your house and beats the shit out of you and rapes your girlfriend[/QUOTE]

QFT, if you do nothing wrong, you'll have no issues with the popo