Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Cosmetic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/)
-   -   Request for help: De-orange peanut-eye headlights (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/19369-request-help-de-orange-peanut-eye-headlights.html)

saturation 07-08-2009 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=fastR;383709]I've de-oranged mine, and I sourced the silver globes that flash orange too.
You can get them from any AutoPro store, $50 a pair. Model #: Philips WY21W.
Happy to help anyone do theirs, or do it for you, just PM me.[/QUOTE]

What did you use to re-seal the lights when completed ?

Jimmy S 07-08-2009 09:33 AM

Just need to put them back in the oven for a couple of mins to reseal them/heat up the glue again...

I've done a number of sets of these with Dan before he moved over east, and its fairly straight forward... Just make sure you get all the screws out(about 10 per light on the peanut's) before cooking them... around 10-15mins on 160-180 degrees.

Be careful not to get any of the glue stuff on the lenses when pulling the lights apart... if your painting black, a couple of light coats of black works just right, and then back together, in the oven for a minute to soften the glue again and seal her right back up again! :)

L4UNCH 07-08-2009 09:39 AM

Yea you won't need anything to reseal them, just remelt the sealant that's already on it :)
I did mine at 93 degrees :o found it easier, as you don't have to use gloves.

Hi_VoLtAgE 07-08-2009 09:39 AM

it's an easy, straight foward task. careful when pukking apart the light to not get glue on anything because it makes a mess of everything. when u pull apart the pieces the glue will pull like pizza cheese.

Rexxar 07-08-2009 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=Jimmy S;383716]if your painting black, a couple of light coats of black works just right, and then back together[/QUOTE]

what type of paint should we use??
and how do we do it?

Jimmy S 07-08-2009 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=Rexxar;383727]what type of paint should we use??
and how do we do it?[/QUOTE]

On mine we used a can of matte black paint (just your regular spray paint from Supercheap)

Just unscrew the plastic peice(2 screws from the front part of the headlight) take out the orange lense and the clear lense and give it a couple of light coats...
10 mins in between and then 10-20mins after the 2nd coat before putting it back in and re-sealing the light in the oven! :)

Rexxar 07-08-2009 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=Jimmy S;383737]On mine we used a can of matte black paint (just your regular spray paint from Supercheap)

Just unscrew the plastic peice(2 screws from the front part of the headlight) take out the orange lense and the clear lense and give it a couple of light coats...
10 mins in between and then 10-20mins after the 2nd coat before putting it back in and re-sealing the light in the oven! :)[/QUOTE]

ah sweet cheers will give it a try this weekend.

knowing me something will go wrong....

wild_rx 07-08-2009 06:40 PM

cool thanks guys :)

will give it a crack on the weekend

ALEX. 07-08-2009 09:05 PM

[QUOTE=Jimmy S;383716]Just need to put them back in the oven for a couple of mins to reseal them/heat up the glue again...
[/QUOTE]

or until golden brown! :)

Voot 08-08-2009 01:20 AM

ill give it a crack next weekend when im back in perth, let me know how it goes for you guys attempting it this weekend,
should be preety straight foward with the DIY guide