Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-01-2006, 10:36 PM
EVOCLUB 4

Default Rolling Rear Arches

After fitting 18" rims to the car, they sometimes scrape in the rear arches, I was wondering if anyone has rolled their own arches. I was going to do it myself but am afraid of the paintwork cracking. Is it just a case of heating up the paintwork to avoid cracking or is there more to it???

SC TER
Old 25-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Sign me up!
Sir AntiLag

maniac at standard level
Send a message via MSN to maniac

Depends on the age/condition of the paint.
If you're game (crazy IMO) you can go at it yourself with a rubber mallet

If you can get your hands on proper tools then thats a better option. Dunno about needing to heat the paint.

Your other alternative is a professional.
Sungard in Myaree or Stuart from Dentcraft are the two names that spring straight to mind. Its not that expensive - compared to stuffing up the paintwork.

Didnt really answer your question, but I'd really suggest getting it done right.
Old 26-01-2006, 12:22 AM
wrx46

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOCLUB 4
After fitting 18" rims to the car, they sometimes scrape in the rear arches, I was wondering if anyone has rolled their own arches. I was going to do it myself but am afraid of the paintwork cracking. Is it just a case of heating up the paintwork to avoid cracking or is there more to it???

SC TER
Done many rear/front guards rolling, and to stat with a rubber mallet and preheating the paint does take the edge of the lip , the rolling tool is only used to even it up. Go real slow with the rubber mallet, some more heat and a bit more with the rubber mallet and you are done. You find that the ‘professional’ do it the same way.. only after paying 40 per guard.
Old 27-01-2006, 07:45 AM
EVOCLUB 4

Cheers, will give it a go this weekend. Will go real slow and keep a close eye on the paintwork. Should only need to tap the arches about 45 degrees, not fold them flat.....
Old 27-01-2006, 07:32 PM
wrx46

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOCLUB 4
Cheers, will give it a go this weekend. Will go real slow and keep a close eye on the paintwork. Should only need to tap the arches about 45 degrees, not fold them flat.....

Correct..! Let us know how it went and if you paint survived the procedure. This might help other here into doing it by them self’s.
Old 30-01-2006, 09:24 AM
EVOCLUB 4

Worked a treat. Heated them up quite hot, and tapped a section at a time with a plastic mallet, rubber one was too soft. Didn't get one single paint crack.

This pic was taken before I did the arches, but thought I would post it anyway because I love the rims so much.........

Old 30-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Sir AntiLag

Narchi at standard level

good to hear. I got mine done and now my front guards are rubbing. lol. Cant win hey. It didnt cost me anything to get it professionally done either. they are like it takes 5 mins we will do it for nothing. Im like ok. Joys of being a salesman. Can talk ur way into nething and outta nething.
Old 30-01-2006, 12:42 PM
STI Master

Giddyup at standard level

What profile tyres have you got. I had 45's on mine and they scraped when cornering. I got new tyres which were 40's and never scraped again. That was all it took for mine anyhow.
Old 30-01-2006, 01:14 PM
EVOCLUB 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddyup
What profile tyres have you got. I had 45's on mine and they scraped when cornering. I got new tyres which were 40's and never scraped again. That was all it took for mine anyhow.

Got 225/35R18. They still scrape when cornering with 2 adults in the back, but it's not often that the car carries 4 adults.
Old 30-01-2006, 01:31 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

I experienced this with the wagon when it had 18's. run some camber bolts and dial in 1.5 - 2.0deg neg camber and it'll 'help' clear the guards (with rolled guards). BUT if the car runs a low ride height, it wont stop it touching the top of the guards no matter what.

Tags
arches, rear, rolling