Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Cosmetic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/)
-   -   Blowing headlights. MY10 Forry (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/36782-blowing-headlights-my10-forry.html)

rexhunta 05-09-2010 07:29 AM

Blowing headlights. MY10 Forry

Hey,

I know it's not a WRX, but our MY10 Forester blows light bulbs out, been through 2 on the left and 2 on the right in a year at random times.

Has anyone else had this in their Imprezas and Forrys ? We rang the dealer and he hadn't heard it before.

We've been using mainly the Philips globes ( H7 for main beam ), and I've tried a different globe from a servo, and a genuine globe too. They are 55w.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, any preference to globes anyone use ? I use Narva in the Impreza and never had a hassle, but the local shop down here doesn't do it.

Thanks
Pete.

apg39 05-09-2010 07:39 AM

I'd be more inclined to send it back to the dealer to rule out any wiring faults while it's under warranty.

rexhunta 05-09-2010 08:00 AM

Our next service is about 2000kms, I am going to do that. Just wondering if anyone else has had it before too ?

Dragon_wrx 05-09-2010 07:56 PM

check if the plug has melted inside this has happened before

rexhunta 05-09-2010 08:06 PM

Plugs, and the fusebox were clean. Checked Both.

Pete.

Rossco 05-09-2010 10:42 PM

Do you leave the headlamps on when you switch the car off? (I.e they go off when the ignition is switched off?)

If so, every time you crank the engine it voltage spikes the globes and fuggs them quickly.

Starting any vehicle with the lamps on (except HID's) is bad news.

You can get long life phillips H7's for twice the price but try switching the lights off before cranking it up.

mARC 05-09-2010 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=Rossco;486891]Do you leave the headlamps on when you switch the car off? (I.e they go off when the ignition is switched off?)

If so, every time you crank the engine it voltage spikes the globes and fuggs them quickly.

You can get long life phillips H7's for twice the price but try switching the lights off before cranking it up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, added to the knowledge bank :thumbsup:

type25 06-09-2010 12:21 AM

have the charge rate checked on the alternator.

if it is over charging or spiking it will certainly reduce the globe's life expectancy.

I use to see this problem very frequently when I was a BMW tech.

rexhunta 06-09-2010 05:43 AM

[QUOTE=Rossco;486891]Do you leave the headlamps on when you switch the car off? (I.e they go off when the ignition is switched off?)

You can get long life phillips H7's for twice the price but try switching the lights off before cranking it up.[/QUOTE]

Yes we leave the lights on both cars when we start them ( also have a my96 impreza).

The long life Philips globes are what was in it, and they both have had blown. I'll tell the missus to start leaving them off when she turns the cars on now, and we'll see if that works.

Thanks for that.
Pete

Jenna 06-09-2010 06:38 AM

I have the same problem with my impreza. :-( I've spent so much money on new globes!!!