Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Cosmetic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/)
-   -   Central Locking Wiring Problem (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/38359-central-locking-wiring-problem.html)

tankeyone 09-11-2010 12:02 PM

Central Locking Wiring Problem

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

I have been trying to install central locking in my '00 GC8. I have an aftermarket central locking controller which I am trying to connect to the Central locking (ie it’s a stand alone wireless deal with its own fobs, car only has key based central locking at present) Got my power and earth all sorted but having a hell of a time trying to find the lock and unlock wire in the looms in the kickboard. According to the 2000 manual the wires I’m looking for are supposed to be Yellow with a red stripe and Light Green if I’m reading it correctly.

However the loom Doesn’t have these colours in the shown location (and no actual yellow with a red stripe at all)..
The two wires in that location are 23 red with a white strip and 24 is light green.

Through some testing I have found a white wire located in 7 when given power will unlock the door but I can’t for the life of me find the lock.

Any ideas? This is killing me [FONT=Wingdings]:)[/FONT]

magic1 09-11-2010 12:05 PM

bring it round, im home at the moment will have a look, just had mine done.

tankeyone 09-11-2010 12:13 PM

Hey, sorry Magic, I'm on the other side of the country... that'd be one hell of a road trip to get central locking sorted out, but I'm that fed up with it that if I didn't have to work I'd consider it.

fobz 09-11-2010 02:01 PM

Got to my website. Look under the DIY section.
There is a PDF I wrote there that explains the MY00 "single wire" central
locking trigger and how to wire an alarm into it.

Yes... the white wire IS a single wire for lock and unlock. Read the PDF it
explains it very well. Did my head in the first time too.

[url]www.fobz.org[/url]

tankeyone 09-11-2010 02:34 PM

Dude... THANKYOU!
You're a bloody legend.

One last questions before I'm off to get a relay and some female spade connections.

In the diagram the door lock trigger goes to 85, does that mean that the door unlock trigger and the other side of the white is wired together directly into 30 on the relay?

Cheers

tankeyone 09-11-2010 02:51 PM

Also, would you mind if i re-post a link to your website on another wrx forum?

fobz 09-11-2010 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=tankeyone;510415]Dude... THANKYOU!
You're a bloody legend.

One last questions before I'm off to get a relay and some female spade connections.

In the diagram the door lock trigger goes to 85, does that mean that the door unlock trigger and the other side of the white is wired together directly into 30 on the relay?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

The unlock connects back to the white, so I guess you could wire the
unlock AND the white wire onto 30.

If you look at the circuit, the signals are:
* Lock - Cut the white wire (this is what the relay does)
* unlock - Ground the white wire.

Those are the signals the central locking module wants from the
drivers door. Like the doco says, test it:
1 - cut the white wire and your doors should lock
2 - earth the white wire and your doors should unlock
:)

[QUOTE=tankeyone;510423]Also, would you mind if i re-post a link to your website on another wrx forum?[/QUOTE]

Don't mind at all.

:)

tankeyone 10-11-2010 03:06 PM

Ok, So I got a relay and tried to wire it up as per your diagram, however the relay is slightly different, i.e. the 85 and 86 are on opposite sides and the 87 and 87a pins are both labelled 87. no big deal from the look of it, should do exactly the same thing. However, regardless of whether I connect the door lock trigger to 85 and the power to the 86 or vice versa when I hit the fob button to send the signal, nothing happens.
Tested the remote system (i.e. lock/unlock triggers) with a test light and pushing the button completes the circuit, looks like that's working fine.

I'm probably being a numpty and missing something, so I got my mate (who used to do sound/alarm system installs for a living) to have a poke at it for me, he came up with the same thing.

The only thing I can think is that the Relay is the wrong type (Normally Open vs Normally Closed?), or is cactus.

Am I missing something?

fobz 10-11-2010 05:37 PM

[QUOTE=tankeyone;510767]Ok, So I got a relay and tried to wire it up as per your diagram, however the relay is slightly different, i.e. the 85 and 86 are on opposite sides and the 87 and 87a pins are both labelled 87. no big deal from the look of it, should do exactly the same thing. However, regardless of whether I connect the door lock trigger to 85 and the power to the 86 or vice versa when I hit the fob button to send the signal, nothing happens.
Tested the remote system (i.e. lock/unlock triggers) with a test light and pushing the button completes the circuit, looks like that's working fine.

I'm probably being a numpty and missing something, so I got my mate (who used to do sound/alarm system installs for a living) to have a poke at it for me, he came up with the same thing.

The only thing I can think is that the Relay is the wrong type (Normally Open vs Normally Closed?), or is cactus.

Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

The relay has to be a "changeover" type relay. Most are changeover,
but if you have the other type with 2 output contacts then it will
not work.

The changeover relays have a normally open contact AND a normally
closed. Its the normally closed contact that you're using in this
scenario.

I will also PM you my details.

Alternate 10-11-2010 08:26 PM

Ooh, this might explain why my car only locks with my alarm. I guess I will be tinkering this weekend :D