Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Cosmetic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/)
-   -   Exhaust Defect/lowness "Warning" (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/48864-exhaust-defect-lowness-warning.html)

JDGT05 04-05-2012 07:59 AM

Exhaust Defect/lowness "Warning"

Hey guys,

Had a run in with the police last night they pulled me over for a "random" breath test. After breezing through that they decided to inspect my car for the next 30 minutes. Popped my bonnet and they found nothing as the guy barely new his way around the engine bay.

This was followed by "mate your car is too low, I don't have my measuring tools but it's definitely too low, also these exhaust tips, going to have to get them fixed mate, they have to sit flush with your rear guard they can't stick out like that". I won't give you a sticker tonight but get it fixed.

I believe the lowest part of the car is allowed to be 100mm off the ground (correct me if I'm wrong) the problem I face is that all though the rest of the exhaust sits at the correct height but it drops below legal where the 'Y' pipe splits off.

I have an Ultrex full Catback exhaust, anyone else had any run ins?

Basically, after I have wasted the last 5 minutes of your life listing to me dabble.

Anyone want to recommend me an exhaust shop that I can get some custom work done to get that Y pipe sitting higher as well as dropping those tips in a little deeper. And if anyone has had this happen before how much am I looking at?

I wish to avoid police attention as much as much as possible, difficult in a red car but ah well.

Picture of the exhaust tips in question.

[IMG]http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/jamesdavies64/IMG_5692.jpg[/IMG]

Thankyou in advance for reading through my dribble.

nauli 04-05-2012 08:03 AM

Have you measured the lowest part of the exhaust?
The tips look fine imo...they do not extend beyond the line of the top of the bumper so I see no problem....

JDGT05 04-05-2012 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;674496]Have you measured the lowest part of the exhaust?
The tips look fine imo...they do not extend beyond the line of the top of the bumper so I see no problem....[/QUOTE]

Lowest part is currently lower than 100mm but it's just where the y pipe bends and splits off. The rest of the exhaust sits well above legal requirements. The exhaust sits off the existing hangers that we're there from stock so when it got put in I just figured that would be ok (obviously not)

Jordiee 04-05-2012 08:12 AM

yeah tips look fine, dunno about your ride height though

the fender-tyre gap or lack thereof would probably attract the most attention

magic1 04-05-2012 08:15 AM

ignore it, carry on.

GTB Liberty 04-05-2012 08:18 AM

A police officer issuing a "road worthy" warning can say anything they desire as there is no repercussion if they get it wrong.

Strubaru 04-05-2012 08:24 AM

any police officer that knows thier shit would know that the size of thie police issue note pad is 100mm, they use this a measuring stick for the 100mm rule ;)

if you want the exhaust cut & shut so it sits higher go & see sean at grapnel exhausts in balcatta, top bloke, should be able to help you out

Kato 04-05-2012 08:33 AM

Remember it is 100mm - fully loaded.

If you want to avoid the attention of the law, don't sit on the minimum height - keep it at 110-120mm off the ground and have no problems. Tucked wheels are what draws the attention to your ride height.

Exhaust looks ok from this angle, but should be an easy fix for any exhaust shop.

JDGT05 04-05-2012 08:38 AM

Willing to pay to put my car over the pits if I get stickered :)?

TROLLEY 04-05-2012 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=JD.WRX;674513]Willing to pay to put my car over the pits if I get stickered :)?[/QUOTE]

Carry your own ruler and advise constable cuntbubble that the exhaust tips are legal as they don't protrude past the line of the bumper. They don't need to be tucked in under the bottom of the bumper, else everyone's bumpers would be black with soot.