Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Philby

Question Legality of Pillar Pod & Gauges

Can anybody give me a definate confirmed legal standpoint for the mounting of a pillar pod and two gauges on my 2001 bug eye?

Recently there was a big stink about people getting busted with a tree deodourant hanging from their rear view mirror, so how does the pillar pod rate? Would be installed professionally.

How about a 5" rev counter mounted at the bottom of the pillar pod? That may prove to have a little vision hampering capability.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

smiddee at standard level

When i got pulled over by the boy's in blue, they gave me a yellow sticker for exhaust, pod filter, bov(non-return) and pillar mounted gauges. i went over the pits wit every thing on except bov which i returned to std, paid 30 or so dollars for permits for filter and pillar mount and have never had a problem since,when and if i get pulled over i show the police the permit and they get in their car and drive away
Old 04-08-2005, 08:58 PM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

Yeah I a have a permit for two on the A pillar, best $30 bucks I've spent. You wouldn't think it was a big deal but the pigs seem to be a lot more receptive on everything when you can at least hand them something.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Sign me up!
///M3

Jimmy S at standard level

the only time i got asked about my boost gauge on the a-pillar was when the cop says to me "why do you have an extra tacho on here... oh its a boost gauge... no worries!"
I had a boost gauge on my laser as well... got stickered for other things but never got asked about it at the pits...
Old 05-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Philby

Thanks a lot, guys. Guess I should spend the 30 bucks when I have it done. Man, there should be some form of consistency in what you can and cannot do......maybe a list put out by the Traffic squad or at least one of their constable care group come and speak to the club and be prepared to answer questions on modifications. There seems to be a lot of fly by the pants decisions - I got pulled over for running at night with my fog lights on, but I think because I'm 46 I was let off, while two Asian teenage guys were getting written up behind me, having been pulled over for exactly the same thing. They were driving a Nissan however, so perhaps the cops had some taste in not issuing the rex driver.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:20 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

creepin at standard level

permits permits permits
Old 05-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Sir AntiLag

scoobysix at standard level
Send a message via MSN to scoobysix

I've been told by the boys at the pits that gauges mounted on A-pillar are perfect fine if:

1) They are mounted securely
2) They do not obstruct driving vision
3) They do not have chrome bits (reflects sunlight creating glare)
4) They do not obstruct your steering movements

Obviously, regardless of the above, a permit would work best.

The only time I've been questioned by a cop over gauges on the A-pillar, was when he asked me what colour backlight the gauges were. When I showed him that they lit up the same colour as my dash, he was happy with that.

Tags
gauges, legality, pillar, pod