Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   07 Liberty GT Spec B STI choice (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/12498-07-liberty-gt-spec-b-sti-choice.html)

American Dave 21-05-2007 09:05 AM

07 Liberty GT Spec B STI choice

Ok I am now seriously considering a trade of my 06 STI for the Liberty GT Spec B tune by STI this week!

Only choice is silver or OP black. I love having the silver colour after having black cars previously but still have that gut feeling that I want a black one.

So which colour do you think I should get?

EDIT: first pics of new car [url]http://groups.msn.com/DavesMY06CGMSTI/daves07libertygtspecbsti.msnw?Page=Last[/url]

Mister Two 21-05-2007 09:07 AM

Black is better looking but a pain in the ass to keep clean. Silver would be my choice.

First thing to to when you get it is swap out the turbo for a vf38.

IDOLYZ 21-05-2007 09:08 AM

they look so hot in black *points at avatar*

not too hard to keep clean, but obviously shows dust/dirt more than a silver car.

wannabe 21-05-2007 09:13 AM

go the black, have seen a few silver "tuned by STI" GT's driving around but i dont remember seeing any black ones!! plus black liberty's look the goods

camer183 21-05-2007 09:14 AM

If your looking at getting a sedan and not a wagon then go the black, the wagon in black just dosen't look that good just because there is just a lot of it, the silver wagon and sedan look good. The black sedan with the black enki rims looks terrific and really shows off the brembo brakes behind them. I thought this through quite a bit when I got my new Liberty as well and decided to go with the brilliant silver in a MY07 wagon.

PRODIGY 21-05-2007 09:14 AM

Saw a silver one last week when i took my car for a service.

Very very nice. :cool:

urabus 21-05-2007 09:27 AM

Stay with the sti.

My 2c

chee 21-05-2007 09:36 AM

black.

its sexy.

trainwrex 21-05-2007 09:41 AM

black FTW... i do like the new libs over the stis.. but u will loose alot of money on the sti imo to be worth the swap.

American Dave 21-05-2007 09:44 AM

[QUOTE=trainwrex]black FTW... i do like the new libs over the stis.. but u will loose alot of money on the sti imo to be worth the swap.[/QUOTE]
The swap is not going to be an issue as my baloon is only $37K now and they reckon they will give me $45K for trade. I will do the swap and do another lease at the same rate I got on my sti plus walk away with some cash for mods like a turbo, tbe, etc..oh a tune by Sean using verso I hope!

roids 21-05-2007 09:54 AM

Dave,

i have a silver 05 Libert GT, (i only work up the road so you can look at it if you want)
a friend of mine is a car photographer over east. most car shoots he does he always request a silver car as silver shows the lines of a car better than any colour. Black is one big mass and you lose the cars shape.

Simon 21-05-2007 10:36 AM

black ftw, once you go black u never go back!

American Dave 21-05-2007 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=Simon]black ftw, once you go black u never go back![/QUOTE]
bahahaha wondered when that old chestnut would get used!

Jimmy S 21-05-2007 11:16 AM

stay with the STi Dave...

As an WRX-Liberty-WRX owner... its a nicer looking car, and significantly more comfortable... but, its never going to perform as well as the STi...

You will be disappointed with the performance, and unless you want something to just cruise in, you'll regret it IMO...

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Liberty, and there are things about it that i miss, but the WRX is just more of a driver's car... it responds better to mods, feels a lot stronger on the road, and is quicker...

That said, the Liberty is a sensational car, and if i hadn't come from a WRX, i would probably have stayed with it...

my 2c

MaD_OwNeD 21-05-2007 12:11 PM

swap it, you know you wanna do it. i voted silver - dont they have it in like a similar gunmetal grey colour or is that part of silver :confused:

camer183 21-05-2007 12:14 PM

No urban grey in the Liberty Tuned by Sti just black or brilliant silver and a combination of two rim colours.

BLUES 21-05-2007 12:28 PM

Get an Evo 9.

MaD_OwNeD 21-05-2007 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=camer183]No urban grey in the Liberty Tuned by Sti just black or brilliant silver and a combination of two rim colours.[/QUOTE]

ah ok. some pics must be just the lighting effect then, coz i swear some pics of it, it looks that gunmetal grey type colour. would be sweet if it did, then again, theres always re-spray :p i still say silver!!!

agentorange 21-05-2007 12:40 PM

Why Dave, why?

American Dave 21-05-2007 01:29 PM

[QUOTE=agentorange]Why Dave, why?[/QUOTE]
twinscroll loving, leather seats and other creature comforts for the more mature owner. Will still allow me to mod and get the rumble and boooostttt. VF38 and dump pipe mods should make for a pretty quick Libo I reckon!

feral 21-05-2007 01:49 PM

dont forget if you sell dave ive got your springs in the shed to swap back in mate

Luigi 21-05-2007 01:51 PM

Get a Black one for sure. Saw one in S.O.P last week in there showroom they look HAWT as.

American Dave 21-05-2007 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=feral]dont forget if you sell dave ive got your springs in the shed to swap back in mate[/QUOTE]
cheers Feral - I had forgotten who I gave them to!

sn001 21-05-2007 03:11 PM

Go for black mate...

Silver is easy to maintain but black always look best..!!

feral 21-05-2007 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave]cheers Feral - I had forgotten who I gave them to![/QUOTE]
bloody office workers would forget anything ha ha

saturation 21-05-2007 04:32 PM

STi ftw.

Liberty;s seem a bit too grown/mature for me, But hey if your looking to slow down nothing better to do it in :)

black - obviously :p

BALISTC 21-05-2007 04:33 PM

Keep the STi.

OllieJ 21-05-2007 05:19 PM

Silver Lib ftw. I wouldn't have even taken 5 minutes to decide to trade my 06 STI for a Lib tuned by STI.... Just don't have a my06 sti to do it with :D

wrxsti 21-05-2007 05:32 PM

Keep It!!! ..... Trade It!!.... Oh Wait..... Ahhh I Dont Know....

Go White One

BN01 21-05-2007 05:32 PM

Go the silver Lib Dave. Given the way your gonna mod it, it'll be a classy looker with a shit load of balls!

phizzle 21-05-2007 07:57 PM

Wait for Evo X :icon_chee

stinga 22-05-2007 09:26 AM

Dave, a mate just bought a std GT Lib, very nice car, brakes and power don't do it for me tho. The Sti version with Brembos and some good pads would certainly help, but it definetly needs more power. What turbo they run, TD04 on the 2.5?
Al

American Dave 22-05-2007 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=stinga]Dave, a mate just bought a std GT Lib, very nice car, brakes and power don't do it for me tho. The Sti version with Brembos and some good pads would certainly help, but it definetly needs more power. What turbo they run, TD04 on the 2.5?
Al[/QUOTE]
TD04 but would likely do a VF38 and dump pipe mod on her. The STI version does come with brembos and 6MT, 18" wheels , bilstein suspension, leather seats, lip, etc.

American Dave 22-05-2007 03:05 PM

Well you guys helped me with the colour choice thanks very much.

Silver 15 22.73%
Black 31 46.97%
Keep the WRX STI 20 30.30%

Suby dealer rang me and the black manual Libo STI will get a test run from me tomorrow! I am still not 100% on the trade but will have a much better feel after the test and will let you guys know if I make the trade! :D

trainwrex 22-05-2007 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave]TD04 but would likely do a VF38 and dump pipe mod on her. The STI version does come with brembos and 6MT, 18" wheels , bilstein suspension, leather seats, lip, etc.[/QUOTE]

defiantely get the liberty sti version if it has the brakes

Mister Two 22-05-2007 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave]TD04 but would likely do a VF38 and dump pipe mod on her. The STI version does come with brembos and 6MT, 18" wheels , bilstein suspension, leather seats, lip, etc.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a great plan. Vf38, exhuast, and Verso and you'll be making some good power. 180+kw ATW is not unreasonable for that kind of a setup.

WRXTASY 22-05-2007 07:35 PM

Sorry to rain on your parade but a VF38 twin scroll will be way way to small for a 2.5lt plus you will need to change your headers/up-pipe/dump-pipe/turbo bracket/oil pickup for the twin scroll. Minimum $3k inc VF Turbo. :(

I would be going down the Blouch TD05-18G or 20G route if you still want quick spool up with good power at moderate boost. Good prices too. :)

[url]http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/category13_1.htm[/url]

J

Mister Two 22-05-2007 08:01 PM

[QUOTE=WRXTASY]Sorry to rain on your parade but a VF38 twin scroll will be way way to small for a 2.5lt plus you will need to change your headers/up-pipe/dump-pipe/turbo bracket/oil pickup for the twin scroll. Minimum $3k inc VF Turbo. :(

I would be going down the Blouch TD05-18G or 20G route if you still want quick spool up with good power at moderate boost. Good prices too. :)

[url]http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/category13_1.htm[/url]

J[/QUOTE]

A vf38 while being small is significantly bigger than the stock td04. And he wont need to change anything as the GT is already twinscroll with the correct headers, sump, etc... and flanges for a vf38. A blouch tdo5 or any other vf turbo wont work with the stock TMIC as IIRC he wants to keep it looking stock under the hood. A vf36/37/42 will work if he gets a new twinscroll up-pipe with the correct flange for the these vf turbos. And if that is done a new WRX TMIC will be needed or go the FMIC route. If a WRX TMIC is used then a new scoop air splitter will be needed as the stock splitter is designed for the stock TMIC which is much smaller and different shaped than a WRX TMIC.

WRXTASY 22-05-2007 08:30 PM

Sump and flanges are a bonus but I find it hard to believe Subaru would put twin sroll headers on anything that did not run a twin scroll from the factory. The 2.5 WRX\STi runs the same sump but regular headers so why would they put different headers on the TD04 GT ?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I still think a Vf38 is too small VF36/37/42 or PE1825f much better

J

Mister Two 22-05-2007 08:46 PM

the Liberty GT td04 is a twinscroll td04. It has the same compressor and exhaust turbine as the WRX td04 but has a twinscroll exhaust housing and a different compressor cover to accomodate the Lib GT TMIC.

A vf38 will make the car very friendly on the street and still enough top end to make more than 180kw ATW. It has similar output to a vf35 but will spool up much faster thanks to the ball bearing core and titanium compressor wheel and shaft.

Yes a vf36/37/42 would be a better option but they will not bolt onto the GT twinscroll headers. You need an appropriate up-pipe to bolt those on. But then they wont work with the TMIC of the GT as it is a side entry/exit TMIC unlike the WRX TMIC which is underside rear entry and front exit. You could put on a WRX TMIC with some modification to the intercooler mount but then you would need a new bonnet scoop air splitter. Too much stuffing around since the vf38 is a simple bolt on job with no other mods required and still has more than enough flow to make for a pretty quick street car.

Dave, if you are willing to go the extra mile for a larger twinscroll turbo. I think Terry (spikey) has a vf37 for sale for $1100. Top end is a little more than a vf34, but it does not use a BB core. Rather it uses thrust bearings. Still good though as it still has the titanium internals IIRC.