Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Flat Four Father

Huy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Huy
Default Car Care

As i posted in another thread, i'm getting a new car this week.

Now i would really like to look after her, as it's my first brand new car.
I've heard the paint on Subaru cars tend to chip, and was curious as to whether there is any product that can somewhat protect it?

Also just washing & detailing the car in general. The car undoubtedly deserves better than a simple soap wash on the front lawn.
I have no idea what products to use, methods etc. for a clean look.

Cheers

Huy
Old 14-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Sign me up!
Sir AntiLag

maniac at standard level
Send a message via MSN to maniac

Depends how full-on you want to go, but I doubt a few extra layers of clear is in the budget.

I did see a post a while ago regarding a clear poly adhesive skin. Not sure if it was the old forum or this one. If that was applied properly it would probably do the trick. Something like this 3M stuff (click link)

Otherwise regular cleaning with good products should go a long way to keeping the paint in good condition. http://www.autopia.org/ is a handy reference site I have used before trying to clean a few trouble spots.
Old 14-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Flat Four Father

Huy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Huy

Cheers, i'll read up on it.

I'm not going too full-on, but i want to do more than a soap wash.
I don't mind spending a little money on it.
Old 14-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Sir AntiLag

Rexilla at standard level

Meguiar's or Mothers are pretty good I find, a little pricey but worth it.

when u find a proper "invisible" bonnet protector pls let me as i've looking for it for ages so i can get the car repainted. was looking a www.invisiguard.com.au product before but they don't have installers in Perth metro area.

Last edited by Rexilla; 15-09-2005 at 08:39 AM.
Old 14-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

GTCloud at standard level

Here's a thread on MRT that started off talking about HID headlights, then quickly moved onto headlight and paint protection:
http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/to...TOPIC_ID=25128
Old 15-09-2005, 03:21 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

doddsy at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to doddsy

i found http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html a very usefull site.
Old 15-09-2005, 08:18 AM
MITCH84

When I got mine a couple of months back Subaru offered me a relatively new thing called the 'Fifth Dimension System', sounds a wee bit Star Trekkie no? At a cost of $2500, they apply a sort of glass finish to all the external paintwork, mags, then a fabric and dash protectant to all the insides. It is meant to protect against stonechip damage, salt damage etc, and stain damage on the seats. Also means you never have to wax your baby (yes!). As well as this, you get four years worth of free stone chip and scratch repair of up to I think $1500 per year. Also if there's a stain you can't get out of the upholstory ( ) they will replace the material. I thought about all this, then compared it to the difference it'd make in resale value, and signed on the dotted line.
Old 15-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Sir AntiLag

Rexilla at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCH84
When I got mine a couple of months back Subaru offered me a relatively new thing called the 'Fifth Dimension System', sounds a wee bit Star Trekkie no? At a cost of $2500, they apply a sort of glass finish to all the external paintwork, mags, then a fabric and dash protectant to all the insides. It is meant to protect against stonechip damage, salt damage etc, and stain damage on the seats. Also means you never have to wax your baby (yes!). As well as this, you get four years worth of free stone chip and scratch repair of up to I think $1500 per year. Also if there's a stain you can't get out of the upholstory ( ) they will replace the material. I thought about all this, then compared it to the difference it'd make in resale value, and signed on the dotted line.
i don't see how the "glass finish" or anything short of a plastic or film would stop stone chips on ur car, otherwise they wouldn't offer free repairs.
BUT........$1500 worth of repairs per year for FOUR years and replacement of the fabric (if the chairs getting a bit old, just stain it ) are well worth the $2500 price tag, i hope they offer similar package for da EVO IX
Old 15-09-2005, 09:12 AM
wombat

hahah they are pushing that 5th dimension stuff heavily, they got all upset when i said it wasn't worth anywhere near that and they insist you don't need to wash your car if you have it... yeah right. she even said she'd throw in a bel rx65 for free if i went with it

i said make it a fully hard wired rx75 and i'll do it. that shut the convo down pretty quick

these smoke and mirrors protection packs for outrageous prices are rediculous to say the least, there advertising and claims must be walking a very thin line as far as the trade practices act goes.

also check that $1500 i think it's up to 1500 total not per year!

Last edited by wombat; 15-09-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 15-09-2005, 09:29 AM
MITCH84

Bugger, oh well. It's true what you say about never having to wash the car as well, with this lovely Perth winter weather to keep it clean I'd have to be washing every day! "The rain just rolls straight off it without leaving dry marks". Whaaaaatever!

But hopefully it does work out in the longer run

Tags
car, care