Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Scoobie Noobie

chris123 at standard level
Default Subaru dealership warranty

Hi guys

Just wondering how good the warranties are that dealers give out on used cars. I was looking at a 99 rex yesterday and they said it had 3 years warranty. What does this warranty cover, engine, turbo, clutch ???

and if something does go wrong will they willingly fix it or give u shit about how it's your fault so there not gonna fix it lol.

Basically weighing up whether to buy froma dealer or private.

Cheers
Old 11-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

If it is one of those 'you must service the car with us warranties' I reckon they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Given that the car is a 99 (8-9 years old now) I'm surprised anyone would give a warranty for 3 years on it?

The warranty will only cover non-consumable items (i.e. clutches are a consumable), however, if you modify it in any way they will most likely void the warranty too.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Scoobie Noobie

This is it, realistically whats a reasonable price for this? private i would say 18k no idea for dealership. Would be helpfull if someone has had experience with trying to claim under a warranty like this.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/SUBARU/IMPREZA/details.aspx?__Ntk=CarAll&__D=wrx&__Dx=mode+matcha ny&seot=0&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price _Decimal|0&Cr=3&state_id=904&keywords=wrx&State=We stern%20Australia&__N=4294963801+904+4294963800+78 8+834+285+258+287&distance=25&R=1782433&RegionID=7 88&__Ntt=wrx&trecs=41&__Nne=20&__Ntx=mode+matchall partial&silo=1000&__sid=1158ECD4E03C&Model=IMPREZA &__Qpb=true&Region=State%20Wide&Make=SUBARU
Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 AM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

used car warranties are usless, ask them for a discount and they get to keep the warranty, they have to provide 3 months for free regardless. Even if u pay for that, the 1st thing theyre going to do is charge u to look at the car, then blame ur driving for anything that breaks that isnt consumable. Assuming nothign wrong with the car, they would have paid 12k for it max. Id say you would have no problems getting it for 18. Just get them to write it up, and take it to the dealer principal. If they say no, walk out. Guarranteed they will call you.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

As an example Wilmo here on the forums sold a mint 75 000KM 00 WRX just recently here on the forums for $17.5k.

That one your looking at is too expensive at 115 500KM for $22k.

I would want an ALK, Whiteline Swaybars, Koni Adjustable Suspension, bigger turbo and a plug in ECU and tune for that price.

You need to insist that a compression test is done on the motor of that age before purchase. Air Flow Meters are know to fail in 99/00 WRX/STi's especially if the owner ran an Oiled filter. This is then likely to lead to detonation in the engine and a stuffed motor. This is a very common fault of 99/00 WRX/STi's.

I would also want a copy of the warrenty to take home and read in my own time, before purchase to pick it to bits if they are offering one. If it specifically says the car has to be serviced at Subaru walk away.
Even new WRX's DO NOT have to be specifically service at Subaru, any decent workshop can do the service and stamp the book.

Last edited by WRXTASY; 11-10-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
As an example Wilmo here on the forums sold a mint 75 000KM 00 WRX just recently here on the forums for $17.5k.
yeah i know, didnt have the cash then

Might aswell wait for another low k's private one then

Thanks for the help
Old 11-10-2007, 02:04 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

madmax at standard level

there's a few cheapies on carsales for sale..

you should be able to get one for 18k easily and as the guys said just make sure it's compression checked and/or has an independent mechanical check

just call all the guys and see how you go...
Old 11-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Sir AntiLag

BrennyV at standard level

not worth pissing on!! my clutch went days after picking up my sti (as in the organic plates fell to bits, cheep ass clutch). i was told it was been 'driven too hard' shock horror that some one should go a little hard on a sti? (at this time i had only driven it to work for 3days!) anyways went nuts tryed going to MTA end of the day i payed tow and for the re fit of some cheep as clutch they supplied.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:22 PM
STI Master

Darken at standard level

Don't touch this one matey. She's been in an accident. It's pretty obvious from the pics aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123
This is it, realistically whats a reasonable price for this? private i would say 18k no idea for dealership. Would be helpfull if someone has had experience with trying to claim under a warranty like this.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...A/details.aspx
Old 11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darken
Don't touch this one matey. She's been in an accident. It's pretty obvious from the pics aswell.
How can u tell?

Tags
dealership, subaru, warranty