Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Jinxt at standard level
Default Fuel Leak!!

Hey guys i have just had RAC out to inspect my car after i discovered fuel under my car and a really bad fuel smell inside the car and outside. As it turns out the car is leaking under pressure, however its also getting into the cabin.

Its a 2002 N/A..do you guys know if there is a panel that can be lifted up to inspect the top of the fuel tank or does it need to be completely dropped out? How much would it cost to repair a broken tank?

Cheers,
Adrian
Old 13-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

If its leaking from the rear, check the gasket for the fuel pump assembly (which is under a plate) on the drivers side in the boot, behind the rear seats. Also the inspection plate which is on the opposite side to the fuel pump, also in the boot behind the seats. Also check all hose connections under the plates, to ensure its not a leak coming from there.

If its not that, I'd be checking the rubber lines that connect all the hard lines together (there are hard lines that go across the top of the tank and then again under the left hand side of the car, all connected by rubber lines).

If its not that, check your hoses and clamps on the fuel filter. I'm not sure if an NA Impreza has the same setup as a WRX/STi, but if it does...its a cylindrical looking black thing under your bonnet near the firewall on the passenger side...even a small leak here can cause a strong smell to come through the vents into the cabin.

Last edited by BALISTC; 13-12-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 13-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

inside the boot just behind the rear seats on the drivers side of the car. There is a panel with 4 phillips head screws. Remove them and lift the plate to get access to the fuel pump assembly.

Check that the hoses are not leaking and that the gasket between the fuel pump assembly plate and fuel tank is not perished or installed incorrectly.
Old 13-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Jinxt at standard level

Cheers guys...i know the plates your talking about...i've seen them before...only problem i have just covered those areas last weekend with audio equipment...now i gotta take it all back out

There is a small 6ish mm drill hole under my rear seat which the fuel is coming into the cabin from so hopefully its only a hose pissing fuel onto the tank which then dribbles into the cabin and not the take itself.

The odd thing about is i've had the car for 2 years now and this is the first time i have noticed it...was driving it last night and all was well....
Old 13-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DarkMoose at standard level

Drill hole / audio install = Coincidence, maybe not ^^.
Old 13-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Jinxt at standard level

Nah everything is mounted to MDF which is just sitting on the chassis, I made it a little too big and once i wedged it in, it didnt move so i didnt need to hold it down...i haven't touched the chassis...im not that stupid.
Old 13-12-2007, 09:01 PM