Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   MY08 WRX Owners - First modification suggestions (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/19701-my08-wrx-owners-first-modification-suggestions.html)

American Dave 12-05-2008 02:11 PM

MY08 WRX Owners - First modification suggestions

After seeing so many MY08 WRX over the last few weeks I figured that many of the new owners are likely to start landing here. I though I would launch pre-emptive strike with a short thread on suggested mods for ugly betty owners. I am open for suggestions and editing. This is not meant to be an essay but merely a starting point for noobs!

1. Lowering springs should be first thing done in my honest opinion. A good set will lower your wrx (30-40mm) from a FWD mazda/vw betty to an eye appealing WRX. Search words are whiteline springs, king springs, etc) cost approx from $400 and can be sourced/purchased from a range of local shops in Perth.

[B]This is a must first mod but do it properly and then get a good wheel alignment (search wheel world, wilkenson's, ect). DO IT !!![/B]

2. Turbo-back or Cat-back Exhaust. Better breathing and the boxer rumble unleashed (search words are dylans zorst, china-sepc, or any number of name brand manufactures of s/s exhausts such HKS, Trust, Greddy,ect). Cost $600-$2000 depending on what you buy. Install yourself or go to reputable shop for this. (search words are MMS, RMS and ASG for starters in town). Edit: Please note this is a new model and exhaust configuration for MY08 so be prepared to pay more now as Kato so eloquently put it.

3. Proper tune via a re-flash of ecu. Best bang for buck in terms of power. Search ECUtek (only option in WA unless you are prepared to spend some serious $$. Cost ranges from $1800 I believe currently depending on who you go with for this work. Search words ecutek, MMS.
Edit:As PIGSTI suggested the turbo-back exhaust and tune should be done at the same time to avoid boost spiking issues, optimize tune and keep labour costs down.

4. Front and rear sway bar installation is another great bang for buck mod. Search words such whitleline, cusco, and sti for starters. This will assist in reducing understeer associated with stock wrx's. Allow for $500 plus and install yourself.

Once you have done these mods you will likely be a few thousand $$ poorer but will have a vastly improved WRX. After you have completed these mods you will be hooked on modifiying your suby and may need to a bigger salary and a more understanding wife but those I cant help you with. Good look and happy crusing.

* Please note that I have no affiliation or connection with any work shops or products mentioned in this post.

BOMB3R 12-05-2008 02:15 PM

I am assuming that the zorst and tune will need to be done at the same time like the pigs.
Another good cheap mod I would do straight up is sway bars front and rear. Won't cost much but make a huge difference.

Kato 12-05-2008 02:19 PM

Good stuff Dave,

A bit more information on it from my research:

1. Lowering springs on the older models affected suspension geometry requiring the roll center kit. It will need to be confirmed if this is required for the new models.

2. Exhausts for the new models are still coming, so for the moment there are no 'cheap' options. So be prepared for a ass raping of a price.

3. Stock ECU re-tuning options are the best bang for buck. Alternatevly try Motec or Autronics.

4. The best bang for buck modification would be sway bars in my opinion. Stock ride height is good (no crab crawling around shopping centers) and with sways you get decent handling too.

nauli 12-05-2008 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=Kato]Good stuff Dave,

A bit more information on it from my research:

1. Lowering springs on the older models affected suspension geometry requiring the roll center kit. It will need to be confirmed if this is required for the new models.

2. Exhausts for the new models are still coming, so for the moment there are no 'cheap' options. So be prepared for a ass raping of a price.

3. Stock ECU re-tuning options are the best bang for buck. Alternatevly try Motec or Autronics.

4. The best bang for buck modification would be sway bars in my opinion. Stock ride height is good (no crab crawling around shopping centers) and with sways you get decent handling too.[/QUOTE]

A few notes on the above:

1. Roll centre kit isn't a must on older...it is a matter of choice and doesn't suit all driving styles.

2. MMS are doing WRX and STI exhausts...locally hand crafted so not as cheap as China but they are 100% top quality. Expect to pay (inc) $1995 for WRX and $2250 for STI.

3. Only reflash available atm is ECUTek. Unsure as to whether MoTeC or Autronic are available in '08 (certainly not STI) spec yet.

4. Swaybars on (softer) OE MY08 springs may not improve things...in fact may make it lift rear wheels.

Whiteline have done a fair bit of testing on the MY08 WRX...there are plenty of articles around. With STI, Whiteline will release the "Black Box" to allow better control of VDC, TC and DCCD.

EXPLICIT 12-05-2008 04:12 PM

front end conversion :D

Kato 12-05-2008 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=nauli]1. Roll centre kit isn't a must on older...it is a matter of choice and doesn't suit all driving styles.[/QUOTE]

I found that the very low springs made the handling worse, requiring the need of roll centre kits to correct. Just passing on the knowledge that low does not equal better.

jEstEr? 12-05-2008 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=nauli]3. Only reflash available atm is ECUTek. Unsure as to whether MoTeC or Autronic are available in '08 (certainly not STI) spec yet.[/QUOTE]

MoTeC M800 PNP for MY08 STI part number is #13012A has been available for nearly 3 months.

BOMB3R 12-05-2008 04:36 PM

Autronic also available with DBW unit.

American Dave 12-05-2008 04:49 PM

I am going to keep it simple for now. If the new owners dont know about autronic and motec it might then they will benefit from this thread otherwise they wont bother reading it. Really for noobs with little idea where to start as opposed to a person who has owned wrx previously I reckon.

dougiefresh 12-05-2008 04:51 PM

On the exhaust side I found TurboXS are bringing out a TBE for $1399, could be a good way to go for those who dont want to spend to much on an exhaust

American Dave 12-05-2008 04:59 PM

cheers for the info DF

dougiefresh 12-05-2008 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave]cheers for the info DF[/QUOTE]

They are getting back to me with when the stock should land in Sydney so i will keep it updated in here, it will probably be the exhaust I will end with as I cant see the advantages of spending another $600

Blueraven 12-05-2008 05:34 PM

i dont know about that particular exhaust, but having spoken to chiptorque here in QLD, they told me they put a TBE on an 08 wrx without a tune and gained a whopping 4kw only when over 6000rpm. (pretty sure it was custom exhaust, they didnt mention the brand i dont think)

Just thought i would mention that as a warning that there wont be much point in getting an exhaust without a tune.

Incidentally they will have tunes available on their ezyflash unit next week for the wrx, and they want me to bring in my STi soon to get the maps done for that too :)

dougiefresh 12-05-2008 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=Blueraven]they told me they put a TBE on an 08 wrx without a tune and gained a whopping 4kw only when over 6000rpm.[/QUOTE]

That sounds more like a catback to me? Have to wait and see i guess

Blueraven 12-05-2008 07:25 PM

hmmm. pretty sure he said turbo back but good point.

Zombee 12-05-2008 07:39 PM

how will the exhaust work on the STi?? will they split it too the two (or quad) outlets as is OEM on the car??

Cheers
Zombee:)

nauli 12-05-2008 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=Zombee]how will the exhaust work on the STi?? will they split it too the two (or quad) outlets as is OEM on the car??

Cheers
Zombee:)[/QUOTE]
Single pipe to the diff, then splitting in two with two outlets per side (= quad!)

American Dave 13-05-2008 07:54 AM

yep as Nauli said and here is a pic of similar stock zorst with quad pipes
[IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/Aussiedave_2006/MY07%20Liberty%20GTB%20STI/MY07LibertyGTSpecBSTI010.jpg[/IMG]

beernuts 13-05-2008 05:42 PM

Yep, I've got a quad exhaust on my 08. Fits nicely. Sounds the deal.
One entry into a East/West muffler - two exits - then split off again.

BLAAA 14-05-2008 12:39 AM

ahhh waiting on a verso for MY08 so i can fit my TBE exhausttt had for like weeks now sitting in the garage :( ahah fitted the bov also (i hate bovs but im bored with the car) coil overs are a treat though so far

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqrqrJyI9WE[/url] the exhaust i brought

American Dave 14-05-2008 08:20 AM

[QUOTE=BLAAA]ahhh waiting on a verso for MY08 so i can fit my TBE exhausttt had for like weeks now sitting in the garage :( ahah fitted the bov also (i hate bovs but im bored with the car) coil overs are a treat though so far

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqrqrJyI9WE[/url] the exhaust i brought[/QUOTE]

Good luck on the wait for verso for your CANBUS MY08 WRX. I have been waiting a year and there is signs of it happening. Don't get my wrong because I love verso flash and tune done by ASG too.

dougiefresh 14-05-2008 05:02 PM

Pay the extra for ECUtek, im sure you'll be waiting a while for VERSO by the sounds of it.

BOMB3R 14-05-2008 05:12 PM

I think you will find Verso isn't too far away for the MY08.

Trexx 14-05-2008 05:19 PM

I PM'd Pete after speaking to Sean a while ago re Verso for 08 STI but no reply as yet.

ECUTEK decision isnt too far away for me - as soon as I source a reasonably priced exhaust I will be in the market for Verso if its avail otherwise Ecutek

Elrico 14-05-2008 06:09 PM

The world doesnt revolve around verso fyi.

BLAAA 14-05-2008 06:22 PM

but i like my money and from what im hearing ECUtek is fairly PRICEY, ohh try holding out a little longer for a verso but if i have no other choice ecutek it may have to be :S

AMERICAN DAVE whats CANBUS?

Trexx 14-05-2008 09:07 PM

[QUOTE=Sphoolin]The world doesnt revolve around verso fyi.[/QUOTE]

It does, however, revolve around money and the opportunity cost of spending more on Ecutek means there is something else I want that I will have to go without.

Elrico 15-05-2008 06:14 AM

If it revolved around money so badly, why did you buy a $65,000 car and want to go half arsed on it? Its almost like buying a new skyline and putting a dylan exhaust on it.

Alas it aint my car, whatever makes you happy mate! ;)

American Dave 15-05-2008 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=BLAAA] AMERICAN DAVE whats CANBUS?[/QUOTE]
CAN BUS is set to become the new standard for data interchange between electronic components in cars. It is an ISO approved standard and is a low cost real time communication protocol.
[url]http://www.bba-reman.com/canbus.htm[/url]

Bruce 15-05-2008 08:01 AM

Exhaust on tomorrow, ecutek next week, suspension hopefully before Dutton...

American Dave 15-05-2008 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Bruce]Exhaust on tomorrow, ecutek next week, suspension hopefully before Dutton...[/QUOTE]

good work Bruce, make sure you get a before and after graph with the tune and post it up for us. What suspension work are you doing?

Trexx 15-05-2008 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=Sphoolin]If it revolved around money so badly, why did you buy a $65,000 car and want to go half arsed on it? Its almost like buying a new skyline and putting a dylan exhaust on it.

Alas it aint my car, whatever makes you happy mate! ;)[/QUOTE]

$67,100 :p

When I get a quote for $1800 for an exhaust with 4 tips I'll buy it. Alas, I am $500 from there atm. Just dont like being ripped off because my mufflers sideways.

I may go the extra $ but am enjoying the car as it is for now.

when I do decide to get the exhaust or one becomes avail for $1800 I'll buy a reflash. I have paid for 2 Verso's before and have no complaints so of course I'd rather pay for that than an ECUTEK. But as said if it aint available I'll go Ecutec.

I dont think this is skimping for a car that is really just a work car.

Bruce 15-05-2008 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave]good work Bruce, make sure you get a before and after graph with the tune and post it up for us. What suspension work are you doing?[/QUOTE]

will post up when I get a chance

suspension work - getting most of the whiteline stuff, plus coilovers hopefully KW's. just have to wait for this stuff to go on sale.

Blueraven 15-05-2008 12:16 PM

[QUOTE=Bruce] just have to wait for this stuff to go on sale.[/QUOTE]

So true.... :disgust:

BOMB3R 15-05-2008 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=BLAAA]but i like my money and from what im hearing ECUtek is fairly PRICEY, ohh try holding out a little longer for a verso but if i have no other choice ecutek it may have to be :S

AMERICAN DAVE whats CANBUS?[/QUOTE]
EcuTek isn't cheap no. I also haven't heard of anyone losing an engine to Verso either.........EcuTek on the other hand

Anyway back on topic. Are there FMIC's available for the 08 yet?

BN01 15-05-2008 12:30 PM

[QUOTE=Sphoolin]If it revolved around money so badly, why did you buy a $65,000 car and want to go half arsed on it? Its almost like buying a new skyline and putting a dylan exhaust on it.

Alas it aint my car, whatever makes you happy mate! ;)[/QUOTE]

How exactly is he going "half arsed" by wanting a product that is of equal quality to EcuTek for half the price? Makes good economic sense to me..

BLUES 15-05-2008 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=PIGSTi] Are there FMIC's available for the 08 yet?[/QUOTE]

Should be soon - Kevin from Processwest has bought a STi for himself, so I'd image he'd have a full range of products soon enough.

BN01 15-05-2008 01:23 PM

World One in the US have fitted a FMIC to their 08 STi. Pretty sure there was a lot of custom work done though.

BLAAA 16-05-2008 12:02 AM

[url]www.3gwrx.com[/url] good site for the fuglies

vyper 16-05-2008 12:22 AM

[QUOTE=PIGSTi]

Anyway back on topic. Are there FMIC's available for the 08 yet?[/QUOTE]

Read somewhere that Perrin has one in the works. Not suprising really.