Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Subaru AWD wet weather thread..share the love (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/19998-subaru-awd-wet-weather-thread-share-love.html)

gumby 29-05-2008 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=dtrally]Has anyone else noticed if you really light the tyres up your ABS light flashes on for a while?[/QUOTE]
mine never has

TopGear 29-05-2008 01:47 PM

mine will spin up at top of first gear but my tires are prety shithouse.

207 de 29-05-2008 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=Huy]^^ He's right.. You will learn a lot.

The last trackday i went to was in Collie, and it was wet the whole time. I spun off 3 times! It was worth it (although i did shit my pants on each occassion).[/QUOTE]

haha did you? I won that day, being first to spin off! : )

Im keen for more of that actually, in winter...Camping proper this time...

Huy 29-05-2008 09:19 PM

Haha, yep! Good to experience a few spins..

I remember Muggz rolling by slowly when i was facing the wrong way, cheekily laughing at me. Bastid!

doddsy 30-05-2008 02:51 AM

Heres a slideshow of my one and only spin at a recent trackday
[URL=http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/super-roo/croft/?action=view&current=525817c2.pbw][IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/super-roo/croft/th_DSC_3226.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Elrico 30-05-2008 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=GETAGRIP]:eusa_clap

As Alan already mentioned, take the car onto the skid pan in the rain and find out what 'really' happens in the wet. I'd say that a few kids who are posting in here have not actually experienced what they are typing about (and no, that doesn't mean everyone). Not that I actually give a toss, but I can tell you from personal experience, back when I was wee tott, that confidence in AWD in wet weather saw me end up going backwards/sideways into a double poled street sign causing about $9k damage (it doesn't take much damage to add up the $'s).

Damn, I must be getting old/grumpy - well, atleast the avatar suits now :)

Al[/QUOTE]

Because its not longer a point and steer situation which is why alot of people that get into AWD's fail at 'burnouts' or 'drifting'. And i use those terms, loosely.

Kato 30-05-2008 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=Sphoolin]Because its not longer a point and steer situation which is why alot of people that get into AWD's fail at 'burnouts' or 'drifting'. And i use those terms, loosely.[/QUOTE]

Huh?

Elrico 31-05-2008 08:07 AM

In a RWD, you rear follows your front does it not? Help me out here John! Unlike AWD that usually just grabs when its finished spinning and throws you off into la la land :D. Well thats from my experience, maybe im not doing it right, which is proberly a good reason for me not to do it at all :o

RichX 31-05-2008 10:48 AM

I'm sure we can find a place to test the theory quickly Eric.

There is a HUUUUGGEE open carpark in the middle of Lathlain, next to Lathlain oval which never gets used.

So tempting, just about to change my tires too so don't mind tearing a few shreds of them.

tuna 31-05-2008 10:51 AM

4wd rally cars cant drift?!

trainwrex 31-05-2008 11:02 AM

i got a little crossed up turning from the lights, slowly put it in gear then put my foot down, when boost came on off she went :D take foot of pedal and it was back to order...

jesstamic 31-05-2008 11:22 AM

I absolutly cracked up when a SS ute gunned it next to me turning from the lights of orrong to get onto roe. There was probably only a drop of water on the road and it started to go skidding, shat me when it almost gave a front end job.

Elrico 31-05-2008 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=tuna]4wd rally cars cant drift?![/QUOTE]

AWD actually :D And i thought it was funnier, and Prototype will be witness to it, when a cv8 monaro is doing 170 around a bend an struggling to hold on for life. Good ol trevs :D

ALEX. 31-05-2008 11:35 AM

Eric is right. I know what he's saying. The AWD grip just makes you go in whatever direction you're steering (when it does finally grip), rather than slowly bringing your tail into line like in a RWD where there is that little bit more leeway.

Also, I suppose people with un-modded rexs would have their cars be either slippin or grippin, nothing in between like you might get with a commie (not enough power on stock rexs to EASILY controll the power). I suppose it's due to the fact that because it's AWD and stock, there's not enough power to be easily spining the wheels, so it's not like you can feel them start to grip and chuck on some more power to keep them going; it just grips and you end up going wherever your pointing your front wheels (which is usually in opposit lock).

I just had to try it coming out onto a road today (no cars/houses around). boosted up the higher-half of first gear and slammed 2nd. The rear came right out immediately and intensely and i got into opposit-lock, then got off the gas and it gripped up immediately and since i was anticipating it I was able to suddenly steer straight and ended up heading in the right direction.

Wouldn't be doing it too often though - like I said it's only a matter of time before there's a post on here about someone loosing it and I don't want it to be me :)

(PS: I've done/currently doing official motorkanah work where the handbrake and loosing grip around cones is your friend so I do have some experience - it wasn't just 'lets see what happens')

Clint 31-05-2008 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=trainwrex]i got a little crossed up turning from the lights, slowly put it in gear then put my foot down, when boost came on off she went :D take foot of pedal and it was back to order...[/QUOTE]

Bad bad bad bad lifting off!

RichX 31-05-2008 11:48 AM

Hahha, hitting boost in Tino's car in the wet would be fuckin insane.

ALEX. 31-05-2008 11:50 AM

oh yeah and Rich I like your idea of the Lathlain oval. If anyone came over in protest, we can say it's educational. We're seeing what heppens when the car looses grip and how to correct it :p

Clint 31-05-2008 12:00 PM

Go to AHG during winter. You will want proper diffs after a few slides.

trainwrex 31-05-2008 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=Clint]Bad bad bad bad lifting off![/QUOTE]

The car is like a boat atm with the standard wrx suspension its raised by like 60mm :D

rich, i havent tried with 2nd gear and above in the wet.. not sure i really want to just yet 1.9 bar boost = 550 whp = massive sideways action..

tuna 31-05-2008 12:04 PM

remember wombat!

Elrico 31-05-2008 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Clint]Go to AHG during winter. You will want proper diffs after a few slides.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much nailed it, with a 2 way cusco like Johns, its alot more bareable, specially if you have dccd.

adwalton1987 31-05-2008 01:09 PM

kind of off topic but still about the weather.....
was driving down roe highway about to go freeway south at about 12 this arvo, worst rain ive ever driven in, there was a que of people pulled over on the hard shoulder, everyone who was still on the road was driving at 30kmh, i couldnt see the road and all i could see was two red lights that were about 20m away, was shitting myself even at 30kmh ha ha

RichX 31-05-2008 01:14 PM

When you drive a white car, times like that call for the fog light in the rear end. Don't think the GC's have that do they?

adwalton1987 31-05-2008 01:20 PM

was driving my dads 4x4 dont have a clue what it has

Hurtenstein 31-05-2008 01:29 PM

GC's have a brighter lamp in one of the brake lights that comes on.

SPEC IV 31-05-2008 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=Hurtenstein]GC's have a brighter lamp in one of the brake lights that comes on.[/QUOTE]

Yep ^ have a fog light in the rear driver side light cluster.

GX-REX 31-05-2008 02:02 PM

Aus spec does, jap spec no.

Anyone around bayswater area keep away from the subway. I went thru there about 12 and it was waist deep with water. I pretty much floated thru. Scared the living shit outta me.

EXPLICIT 31-05-2008 07:49 PM

LOL @ Wombat.

F6 in the wet = bulk fun.

astralex 31-05-2008 08:20 PM

Oh yeh, wet weather, great, getting towed away this arvo was so much fun...

207 de 31-05-2008 08:32 PM

weather was a bit excessive at times today..But still, glad i was in a wrx.

Qu3xy 31-05-2008 09:24 PM

Got an AHG day tomorrow morning. Wonder if it is gonna rain! Should be fun either way, :D

BALISTC 31-05-2008 09:35 PM

I drove the VE SS-V ute in the rain today....the stability control warning was flashing a LOT.

WhiteRX 31-05-2008 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=ALEX.]
(PS: I've done/currently doing official motorkanah work where the handbrake and loosing grip around cones is your friend so I do have some experience - it wasn't just 'lets see what happens')[/QUOTE]

I dont know if it is just the tracks that i have been on but i have never had to use the handbrake on any ahg, collie or barbs day. Actully i dont think i have ever done it at all, except for being a idiot.

I dont know mayby it's a skill that i havent ever learn properly but i think i can make it around corners quicker without it?

teejay 01-06-2008 11:53 AM

Theres a couple of layouts at AHG that genuinely would be advantaged by using the handbrake to snap the car sideways quick, but generally its a look at meeeeeeee thing.

Elrico 01-06-2008 12:11 PM

Drove my brothers 03 Maloo ute last night with bill lee "enhancements" as its called, cams and shit, my god i had to putt everywhere so dangerous, little bit of gas and she just looses the rear.

devilfish 01-06-2008 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=WhiteRX]I dont know if it is just the tracks that i have been on but i have never had to use the handbrake on any ahg, collie or barbs day. Actully i dont think i have ever done it at all, except for being a idiot.

I dont know mayby it's a skill that i havent ever learn properly but i think i can make it around corners quicker without it?[/QUOTE]

hes talking about Motorkhana not track work ... [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9t1iV0RsJY[/url]

like that... need handbrake

chee 01-06-2008 05:30 PM

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7l1PLpaefI[/url]

doddsy 01-06-2008 06:15 PM

Ken Block gymkahna
[url]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XNMiBDDXZ3U&feature=related[/url]

GTLeggy 01-06-2008 06:46 PM

Had my Lib GT Wagon(6spd DCCD, 185Kwatw) out in the heavy rain yesterday, full rear bias had it sideways in just about every corner(full trev commo style) then I decided to power on and flick it a little on badly cambered high speed corner @90-100Kmph....backed off the power a little(cause I shit a bit) then back on hard when it felt good, a little oposite lock which quickly pulled the front accross and controlled the rear end and 4 wheel drifted out of it...was awesome, loving the DCCD being a old skool v8 driver from way back ;) ...DCCD lets you have fun and doesn`t require the sheer speed and throw it takes a plain AWD subi to get crossed up.

WhiteRX 01-06-2008 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=devilfish]hes talking about Motorkhana not track work ... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9t1iV0RsJY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9t1iV0RsJY[/url]

like that... need handbrake[/QUOTE]

I know what motorkhana is :) . I have been out plenty. But do agree i do think it is a bit of a look at me thing :cool:.

Double clutch first, get some weight transfer forward, flick it around and plant it outa the corner....