Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Subaru AWD wet weather thread..share the love (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/19998-subaru-awd-wet-weather-thread-share-love.html)

ImPreSiV 01-06-2008 10:45 PM

who's gonna start the "subaru awd and wet gravel" thread... coz my car is covered in red dust & mud courtesy of a few helli's on my uncles property in narrikup. i think i got it down pat!!! he said he was thinking of grading the gravel, so i lent a hand... i think i did more damage than good tho! oh well, he has a front end loader!!

the 4km gravel road/driveway was a bit hairy at times!!

TopGear 02-06-2008 06:22 PM

I was coming back from Cervantes sat night, and is dark as out there, I thought I was on Brand hwy but I wasnt on it yet but another big road, was doing 110 and see a sign saying BRAND HWY SOUTH PERTH and then a road going to the left was too late to turn down it and then about 5 seconds later the road ended and was just a gravel track I hit brakes hard and then let off before I hit the gravel so I wouldnt lose it shat myself luckily I was in the rex didnt lose it, then did donut and went back :p

the kiwi 02-06-2008 08:36 PM

[QUOTE=TopGear]I was coming back from Cervantes sat night, and is dark as out there, I thought I was on Brand hwy but I wasnt on it yet but another big road, was doing 110 and see a sign saying BRAND HWY SOUTH PERTH and then a road going to the left was too late to turn down it and then about 5 seconds later the road ended and was just a gravel track I hit brakes hard and then let off before I hit the gravel so I wouldnt lose it shat myself luckily I was in the rex didnt lose it, then did donut and went back :p[/QUOTE]

is that the left to go past emu downs windmills?

if so i almost did the same thing last sunday.

TopGear 02-06-2008 08:57 PM

lol yeah its down there somwhere was dark as so not exactly sure where I was, is dangerous no sign or anything.

subarooboy 02-06-2008 09:50 PM

Actually, you maybe interested to note that locking your brakes right up on gravel/ off road is generally proven to stop you quicker due to the 'digging' action of the wheels etc. (The opposite is true on tarmac of course where you need grip to stop sliding).

Al- yeah, you are soooo "over the hill" :D

dtrally 02-06-2008 10:43 PM

Yeah, that turn off's a notorious one. Heaps of people overshoot it.

Cooper89 03-06-2008 09:55 AM

I learnt my lesson, 1st second hit boost round a corner understeer oversteer then fishtailed and did 2 360's down the road ended up off the road, had no control, happened WAY to quick.
Please be careful guys rexes arent that good.

American Dave 03-06-2008 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Cooper89]
Please be careful guys rexes arent that good.[/QUOTE] in the hands of inexperienced drivers

Kato 03-06-2008 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Cooper89]I learnt my lesson, 1st second hit boost round a corner understeer oversteer then fishtailed and did 2 360's down the road ended up off the road, had no control, happened WAY to quick.
Please be careful guys rexes arent that good.[/QUOTE]

Point number 3,486,198 of why not to drive outside of your abilities and experience.

Now, if you were doing the same at the same speed in a RWD, FWD car what would have happened?

Cooper89 03-06-2008 10:08 AM

Well it was bound to happen sometime, i was overconfident and thought she would hold the road.. well.. it didnt. Im glad it happend from a standing start and not some 90kmh corner where i'd be in a tree right now.

A RWD would have been a slow spin as only the back wheels are pushing you.. FWD? well... straight on baby.
AWD is the worst as all wheels are pushing and pulling and ya got no steering.

devilfish 03-06-2008 10:12 AM

It is quite amazing how far you slide when understeering in a Rex, further than you'd ever imagine, not something you should attempt to find out on a wet road, go to the pan/track and avoid killing babies / small children and adults, fool. There is no way you should loose it in a AWD car in the wet unless your being a total dick. (awaits flames from 500HP rex owners running slicks)

Cooper89 03-06-2008 10:22 AM

Im well aware of that, im offended you would think i would perform such action in the presence of other cars/people. Dick.
it was on a back road well away from even the australind bypass. If i break shit, its mt problem, no one else gets hurt but me.

Thanks.

jEstEr? 03-06-2008 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=WhiteRX]I know what motorkhana is :) . I have been out plenty. But do agree i do think it is a bit of a look at me thing :cool:.

Double clutch first, get some weight transfer forward, flick it around and plant it outa the corner....[/QUOTE]

lol, granny shifting not double clutchin' like ya should

GETAGRIP 03-06-2008 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=devilfish]It is quite amazing how far you slide when understeering in a Rex, further than you'd ever imagine, not something you should attempt to find out on a wet road, go to the pan/track and avoid killing babies / small children and adults, fool. There is no way you should loose it in a AWD car in the wet unless your being a total dick. (awaits flames from 500HP rex owners running slicks)[/QUOTE]
I think he's saying that he made a mistake in believing that AWD should be able to cope with any driving situation - which I think is the same mind set that a lot of AWD owners suffer from (including myself when I first got my car). I think you should lay off, as he's clearly aware of the consequences 'now' and learnt his lesson. And for the record, you don't have to be behaving like a 'dick' to have a loose in an AWD car - sometimes the loose has zero to do with power or drivetrain, just simple physics.

[QUOTE=devilfish]Unless your being a total dick, there is no way you should think that you can't loose it in a AWD car.[/QUOTE]
Fixed! :D

Clint 03-06-2008 12:13 PM

I like you Alex.

DarkMoose 03-06-2008 12:28 PM

Alot of us would know (myself included) that the u loose traction in a subaru make sure that you have pointed the wheels where u want to go, cause as soon as it grips thats where it's going, if you are trying to counter steer, and u hit full opposite lock, when it grips thats where its going (usually ending in one or more 360's).

wannabox 03-06-2008 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=DarkMoose]Alot of us would know (myself included) that the u loose traction in a subaru make sure that you have pointed the wheels where u want to go, cause as soon as it grips thats where it's going, if you are trying to counter steer, and u hit full opposite lock, when it grips thats where its going (usually ending in one or more 360's).[/QUOTE]

Amen, that I have come to experience a couple of times. Full lock and then she grips. Not very fun at all when you start heading towards a curb. I have now learnt dont have it full lock and flatten it, it will not end up being fun :P.

Cheers

TopGear 03-06-2008 05:37 PM

[QUOTE=subarooboy]Actually, you maybe interested to note that locking your brakes right up on gravel/ off road is generally proven to stop you quicker due to the 'digging' action of the wheels etc. (The opposite is true on tarmac of course where you need grip to stop sliding).

Al- yeah, you are soooo "over the hill" :D[/QUOTE]

may stop you quiker but you have no control lol its a long gravel track so i just slowed down slowly :)

subarooboy 03-06-2008 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=TopGear]...slowed down slowly :)[/QUOTE]

LOL!! That statement is gold!
(I know what you mean tho).

As for all the other comments about losing it in the wet- I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that a 'good' driver *should* be able to feel when a car that has lost grip is beginning to regain it and adjust steering/ power accordingly??!

Smooth... not bogan. :Thin5:

jEstEr? 04-06-2008 09:54 AM

gravel > ABS anyway

Cooper89 04-06-2008 04:07 PM

thats why they call them accidents. Its an accident. you'll see one day if you havnt yet.

the kiwi 04-06-2008 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?]gravel > ABS anyway[/QUOTE]

kwinana freeway (potholes) > ABS

subarooboy 05-06-2008 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=Cooper89]thats why they call them accidents. Its an accident. you'll see one day if you havnt yet.[/QUOTE]

If the [U]intention[/U] was to be 'clever' and push the car beyond it's limits/ driver experience on a public road/ uncontrolled environment... how does one call that an "accident"?

You don't shove your cock into an industrial meat grinder and then claim "ooops, I must have lost my penis by "accident"?!!

/... or maybe you do, who knows??? :sign10:

Cooper89 08-06-2008 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=subarooboy]If the [U]intention[/U] was to be 'clever' and push the car beyond it's limits/ driver experience on a public road/ uncontrolled environment... how does one call that an "accident"?

You don't shove your cock into an industrial meat grinder and then claim "ooops, I must have lost my penis by "accident"?!!

/... or maybe you do, who knows??? :sign10:[/QUOTE]

Ok then, i lost control of me car trying to do something silly, you got me. But take your backdoor fetishes with meatgrinders away from this forum.. not my cup of tea.. :)

trusti rex 09-06-2008 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=GETAGRIP]I think he's saying that he made a mistake in believing that AWD should be able to cope with any driving situation - which I think is the same mind set that a lot of AWD owners suffer from (including myself when I first got my car). I think you should lay off, as he's clearly aware of the consequences 'now' and learnt his lesson. And for the record, you don't have to be behaving like a 'dick' to have a loose in an AWD car - sometimes the loose has zero to do with power or drivetrain, just simple physics.

Fixed! :D[/QUOTE]

yeah so many people have a misconception that AWD cars somehow magically grip more than F/RWD cars... umm, no. the only place this applies is in the gravel i.e. rally or rain. its actually tyres that do all (95% of) the gripping. once they have let go and you are trying to get the car back on track is where all the differences come into light, with the way the different drivelines try to find grip.

if you get real race technical etc yes an AWD car will allow you to put more power to the ground earlier than other layouts etc but coopers example was based on not understanding AWD properly

SPEC IV 09-06-2008 10:28 PM

tonight turning right around a large roundabout (no traffic etc..) 2nd gear clutch in revs up clutch out = power slide ;)

slappy 09-06-2008 10:41 PM

[QUOTE=trusti rex]yeah so many people have a misconception that AWD cars somehow magically grip more than F/RWD cars... umm, no. the only place this applies is in the gravel i.e. rally or rain. its actually tyres that do all (95% of) the gripping. once they have let go and you are trying to get the car back on track is where all the differences come into light, with the way the different drivelines try to find grip.

if you get real race technical etc yes an AWD car will allow you to put more power to the ground earlier than other layouts etc but coopers example was based on not understanding AWD properly[/QUOTE]

I find my rex seems to have more grip than my old silvia, same tyres too. Some of the corners the subi gets round in the wet comfortably, the silvia never would have. I'm not talking about putting the power down either just getting round smoothly.

Rexxar 10-06-2008 05:38 PM

2way diff + rwd + rain = crub like my s13 mate of mine his stock rims not even stock anymore

Clint 10-06-2008 05:43 PM

Everybody has off moments from time to time. As long as it's not putting anybody elses life at risk it's not that bad :)

trusti rex 10-06-2008 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=slappy]I find my rex seems to have more grip than my old silvia, same tyres too. Some of the corners the subi gets round in the wet comfortably, the silvia never would have. I'm not talking about putting the power down either just getting round smoothly.[/QUOTE]

wouldnt doubt it at all like i posted
the only place this applies is in the gravel i.e. rally or [B][I]rain[/I][/B]
all things equal though, AWD is usually only superior once tyres have lost traction. thats why subaru = so good on gravel (tyres are virtually sliding 100% of the time). other things do come into play like how good your suspension keeps your tyres planted, driving style, car weight... endless list, but all things equal AWD wont save your ass if you hit a corner waay too hot or something

Cooper89 11-06-2008 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=Clint]Everybody has off moments from time to time. As long as it's not putting anybody elses life at risk it's not that bad :)[/QUOTE]

There we go =]

subarooboy 16-06-2008 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=Cooper89]There we go =][/QUOTE]

Yep, that sure clears it up for me.
(Different when someone's 'off moment' causes you to lose a best friend).

Spend a bit of money and go play at the track fellas. ;)