Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Subaru AWD wet weather thread..share the love (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/19998-subaru-awd-wet-weather-thread-share-love.html)

American Dave 28-05-2008 12:29 PM

Subaru AWD wet weather thread..share the love

Ok it doesnt rain all that much in Perth and ice and snow are NO. How about sharing some appreciation subaru awd performance in the wet.

Thomas St today car pulls out from side street into my path...awd drive acceleration saves the day and my arse.

Anyone else?

PIGSTIWGN 28-05-2008 12:35 PM

i think i have really shit tyres. i cant so anything in the wet otherwise she spins. round about at 30 is dangerous let alone swerving lol

DAN682 28-05-2008 12:38 PM

Mine does not include wet weather so to speak

But I drove back from Newman a few years back now and fell asleep at the wheel about 10km's out of Kumarina. I woke up to a marker post trying to get through my front windscreen, I swerved quite violently at 100km/h the front end came onto the road, the back end was still in gravel. I bounced down the Gt Northern Hwy for about 600m fighting with the car but came to a stop with quite a bit of damage to the car. It was still drivable and I drove it all the way home to Mandurah.

To this day I still say if I wasn't in an AWD vehicle I would have been dead for sure. The front wheels giving drive in the direction I was trying to go was the only thing helping me with the back end doing SFA in the dirt.

AWD FTW

*says the guy who now owns a FWD car* :rolleyes:

teejay 28-05-2008 12:39 PM

I thought Subaru and rainy days are to be officially known as understeer festivals ?

:)

BALISTC 28-05-2008 12:42 PM

My car is parked up nice and dry in the Convention Centre....AWD is having a rest at the moment :)

DAN682 28-05-2008 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=teejay]I thought Subaru and rainy days are to be officially known as understeer festivals ?

:)[/QUOTE]

That or $10,000 damage when trying to be a hero in the wet and smashing into kerbs and trees and shit.

EDIT: of course this happened on a closed private road and of course I went to the AHG driving centre and got driver training afterwards.

American Dave 28-05-2008 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=teejay]I thought Subaru and rainy days are to be officially known as understeer festivals ?

:)[/QUOTE]

depends on whose driving it really :D

ITGRIPS 28-05-2008 12:54 PM

in weather like this the rex gets driven alot more often than normal. the g/f also prefers to drive the rex when it's raining as she feels safer driving it

the VK on the other hand doesn't come out in this weather,
rwd + heavy foot = "accidental" oversteer

BREW 28-05-2008 12:54 PM

Wash n Wax over the wkend.
So no AWD action in the wet.

American Dave 28-05-2008 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=DAN682]Mine does not include wet weather so to speak

But I drove back from Newman a few years back now and fell asleep at the wheel about 10km's out of Kumarina. I woke up to a marker post trying to get through my front windscreen, I swerved quite violently at 100km/h the front end came onto the road, the back end was still in gravel. I bounced down the Gt Northern Hwy for about 600m fighting with the car but came to a stop with quite a bit of damage to the car. It was still drivable and I drove it all the way home to Mandurah.

To this day I still say if I wasn't in an AWD vehicle I would have been dead for sure. The front wheels giving drive in the direction I was trying to go was the only thing helping me with the back end doing SFA in the dirt.

AWD FTW

*says the guy who now owns a FWD car* :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I am so with you on the outback driving Dan. Hit an emu driving a lifted toyota hilux twin cab near Leinster, swerved down the middle of the road for 200 mtrs I recon then it pitched itself down the side of of road and rolled half dozen times.