Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Subaru AWD wet weather thread..share the love (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/19998-subaru-awd-wet-weather-thread-share-love.html)

dtrally 28-05-2008 11:57 PM

Has anyone else noticed if you really light the tyres up your ABS light flashes on for a while?

doddsy 29-05-2008 04:40 AM

Not much but rain , ice and snow (at the right time of year) over here in the uk.
Plenty of time for playing with the dccd and getting used to the lsd's :D
Its cost me a set of wheels so far but, im getting the hang of it now :rolleyes:

207 de 29-05-2008 09:29 AM

I found the wrx pretty dodgy to drive in the wet. First it will understeer, then rapid oversteer as it comes on boost..Its tricky to manage because the torque can double in 1000rpms..To keep it in better control, would have to keep revs above about 4500 all the time so the power delivery and response is more linear...

dont know about the sti with DCCD, havent pushed it that much...

Personally, I think a high torque engine, with a wide, lowish torque band, in an awd would be the go. An AWD with about 500Nm from 1800 to 4500rpms would be great..

macjeffrey 29-05-2008 10:03 AM

ah memories...the rex is gone but in the wet any other (non-WRX) car was absolute toast. My tyres were pretty good (Continentals) and even with 180 kwatw it was almost impossible to break traction in a straight line and it still could be hammered, cornered brilliantly, ultimately letting go into a fantastic awd power drift. Now I have a HSV 6L Clubsport which is shit in the wet and can't put half its power down onto the road. Driving it in the wet is pointless. Wish I could have both cars in the garage :icon_sad:

ImPreSiV 29-05-2008 10:08 AM

i got pulled over 2 thursday nights ago in the wet. Got given a stern warning and told to change my tyres ASAP. Guess I was lucky not to get a sticker, or hoon lawed.

I enjoy wet weather driving, i just don't enjoy the other morons who think they have to do 20km below the limit once it starts raining!

teejay 29-05-2008 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally]Has anyone else noticed if you really light the tyres up your ABS light flashes on for a while?[/QUOTE]

Whats this ABS thing you speak of?

Pete - your description is just about perfect. I found tight stuff would induce instant understeer, and then snap into oversteer as it came onto boost. What was alot more worrying was the lift off snap oversteer in the wet, very scary.

Funnily in the wet I prefer the less grippy tyres, because it gives me a little fear. The fear means I keep my driving sane and leave room for error. Nothing like running grippy tyres, thinking the thing will stick to the road forever and a day, because when it lets go your going to be fairly moving.

feral 29-05-2008 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=American Dave]I am so with you on the outback driving Dan. Hit an emu driving a lifted toyota hilux twin cab near Leinster, swerved down the middle of the road for 200 mtrs I recon then it pitched itself down the side of of road and rolled half dozen times.[/QUOTE]
must of been coming back from the agnew eh dave ha ha

American Dave 29-05-2008 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=feral]must of been coming back from the agnew eh dave ha ha[/QUOTE]
close Mt Keith

GETAGRIP 29-05-2008 12:20 PM

[QUOTE=joey89]bit of a clutch kick in 2nd around corners hahahahahahaha[/QUOTE]

:eusa_clap

As Alan already mentioned, take the car onto the skid pan in the rain and find out what 'really' happens in the wet. I'd say that a few kids who are posting in here have not actually experienced what they are typing about (and no, that doesn't mean everyone). Not that I actually give a toss, but I can tell you from personal experience, back when I was wee tott, that confidence in AWD in wet weather saw me end up going backwards/sideways into a double poled street sign causing about $9k damage (it doesn't take much damage to add up the $'s).

Damn, I must be getting old/grumpy - well, atleast the avatar suits now :)

Al

Huy 29-05-2008 12:27 PM

^^ He's right.. You will learn a lot.

The last trackday i went to was in Collie, and it was wet the whole time. I spun off 3 times! It was worth it (although i did shit my pants on each occassion).