Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Subaru AWD wet weather thread..share the love (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/19998-subaru-awd-wet-weather-thread-share-love.html)

trainwrex 31-05-2008 11:02 AM

i got a little crossed up turning from the lights, slowly put it in gear then put my foot down, when boost came on off she went :D take foot of pedal and it was back to order...

jesstamic 31-05-2008 11:22 AM

I absolutly cracked up when a SS ute gunned it next to me turning from the lights of orrong to get onto roe. There was probably only a drop of water on the road and it started to go skidding, shat me when it almost gave a front end job.

Elrico 31-05-2008 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=tuna]4wd rally cars cant drift?![/QUOTE]

AWD actually :D And i thought it was funnier, and Prototype will be witness to it, when a cv8 monaro is doing 170 around a bend an struggling to hold on for life. Good ol trevs :D

ALEX. 31-05-2008 11:35 AM

Eric is right. I know what he's saying. The AWD grip just makes you go in whatever direction you're steering (when it does finally grip), rather than slowly bringing your tail into line like in a RWD where there is that little bit more leeway.

Also, I suppose people with un-modded rexs would have their cars be either slippin or grippin, nothing in between like you might get with a commie (not enough power on stock rexs to EASILY controll the power). I suppose it's due to the fact that because it's AWD and stock, there's not enough power to be easily spining the wheels, so it's not like you can feel them start to grip and chuck on some more power to keep them going; it just grips and you end up going wherever your pointing your front wheels (which is usually in opposit lock).

I just had to try it coming out onto a road today (no cars/houses around). boosted up the higher-half of first gear and slammed 2nd. The rear came right out immediately and intensely and i got into opposit-lock, then got off the gas and it gripped up immediately and since i was anticipating it I was able to suddenly steer straight and ended up heading in the right direction.

Wouldn't be doing it too often though - like I said it's only a matter of time before there's a post on here about someone loosing it and I don't want it to be me :)

(PS: I've done/currently doing official motorkanah work where the handbrake and loosing grip around cones is your friend so I do have some experience - it wasn't just 'lets see what happens')

Clint 31-05-2008 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=trainwrex]i got a little crossed up turning from the lights, slowly put it in gear then put my foot down, when boost came on off she went :D take foot of pedal and it was back to order...[/QUOTE]

Bad bad bad bad lifting off!

RichX 31-05-2008 11:48 AM

Hahha, hitting boost in Tino's car in the wet would be fuckin insane.

ALEX. 31-05-2008 11:50 AM

oh yeah and Rich I like your idea of the Lathlain oval. If anyone came over in protest, we can say it's educational. We're seeing what heppens when the car looses grip and how to correct it :p

Clint 31-05-2008 12:00 PM

Go to AHG during winter. You will want proper diffs after a few slides.

trainwrex 31-05-2008 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=Clint]Bad bad bad bad lifting off![/QUOTE]

The car is like a boat atm with the standard wrx suspension its raised by like 60mm :D

rich, i havent tried with 2nd gear and above in the wet.. not sure i really want to just yet 1.9 bar boost = 550 whp = massive sideways action..

tuna 31-05-2008 12:04 PM

remember wombat!