Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Subaru AWD wet weather thread..share the love (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/19998-subaru-awd-wet-weather-thread-share-love.html)

ImPreSiV 01-06-2008 10:45 PM

who's gonna start the "subaru awd and wet gravel" thread... coz my car is covered in red dust & mud courtesy of a few helli's on my uncles property in narrikup. i think i got it down pat!!! he said he was thinking of grading the gravel, so i lent a hand... i think i did more damage than good tho! oh well, he has a front end loader!!

the 4km gravel road/driveway was a bit hairy at times!!

TopGear 02-06-2008 06:22 PM

I was coming back from Cervantes sat night, and is dark as out there, I thought I was on Brand hwy but I wasnt on it yet but another big road, was doing 110 and see a sign saying BRAND HWY SOUTH PERTH and then a road going to the left was too late to turn down it and then about 5 seconds later the road ended and was just a gravel track I hit brakes hard and then let off before I hit the gravel so I wouldnt lose it shat myself luckily I was in the rex didnt lose it, then did donut and went back :p

the kiwi 02-06-2008 08:36 PM

[QUOTE=TopGear]I was coming back from Cervantes sat night, and is dark as out there, I thought I was on Brand hwy but I wasnt on it yet but another big road, was doing 110 and see a sign saying BRAND HWY SOUTH PERTH and then a road going to the left was too late to turn down it and then about 5 seconds later the road ended and was just a gravel track I hit brakes hard and then let off before I hit the gravel so I wouldnt lose it shat myself luckily I was in the rex didnt lose it, then did donut and went back :p[/QUOTE]

is that the left to go past emu downs windmills?

if so i almost did the same thing last sunday.

TopGear 02-06-2008 08:57 PM

lol yeah its down there somwhere was dark as so not exactly sure where I was, is dangerous no sign or anything.

subarooboy 02-06-2008 09:50 PM

Actually, you maybe interested to note that locking your brakes right up on gravel/ off road is generally proven to stop you quicker due to the 'digging' action of the wheels etc. (The opposite is true on tarmac of course where you need grip to stop sliding).

Al- yeah, you are soooo "over the hill" :D

dtrally 02-06-2008 10:43 PM

Yeah, that turn off's a notorious one. Heaps of people overshoot it.

Cooper89 03-06-2008 09:55 AM

I learnt my lesson, 1st second hit boost round a corner understeer oversteer then fishtailed and did 2 360's down the road ended up off the road, had no control, happened WAY to quick.
Please be careful guys rexes arent that good.

American Dave 03-06-2008 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Cooper89]
Please be careful guys rexes arent that good.[/QUOTE] in the hands of inexperienced drivers

Kato 03-06-2008 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Cooper89]I learnt my lesson, 1st second hit boost round a corner understeer oversteer then fishtailed and did 2 360's down the road ended up off the road, had no control, happened WAY to quick.
Please be careful guys rexes arent that good.[/QUOTE]

Point number 3,486,198 of why not to drive outside of your abilities and experience.

Now, if you were doing the same at the same speed in a RWD, FWD car what would have happened?

Cooper89 03-06-2008 10:08 AM

Well it was bound to happen sometime, i was overconfident and thought she would hold the road.. well.. it didnt. Im glad it happend from a standing start and not some 90kmh corner where i'd be in a tree right now.

A RWD would have been a slow spin as only the back wheels are pushing you.. FWD? well... straight on baby.
AWD is the worst as all wheels are pushing and pulling and ya got no steering.