Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-12-2008, 10:06 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

LIBRT! at standard level

Sad day in motorsport to have Subaru pull out of the WRC
Old 17-12-2008, 10:19 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Raz555 at standard level

Sad news My long time interest in rallying and the WRC is why I drive a WRX today............
Old 17-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Matt_FX at standard level

they will be back. . . in the mean time they might do what Citroen did a couple of years back, and run a Private "Kronos" type team until they release their new car.
Fully caged, stripped out, weighs less than 1200KG.
Old 17-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Sir AntiLag

Adrian at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to Adrian

This has been coming for months, Prodrive and Subaru have been looking at parting ways for that long. Economical situations have nothing to do with it, lack of results = 'prodive' split and the S2000+T rules.

The rally championship to watch from 2009 onwards is the Intercontinental Rally Challenge - more cars, better events, much more closer competition - http://www.ircseries.com/html/
Old 17-12-2008, 12:47 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

WRC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
Not pulling out at all. After Targa West I came to the conclusion that you can not win the event (M2C2) in a 9 year old GC8 unless we got epic rain or I cheated.

After running Targa West I have sort of lost interest in the Dutton type events If someone will buy it I will go and build an MY09 Sti. If no one buys it I will keep campaigning that one. Not really fussed either way.

My logic in the cars is that I think an Evo X would be great (you can get 480 hp at the fly on jungle juice) but it weighs 1500kg and as yet no one has got the thing to stop understeering. They have not done anything internationally either.

Jap Spec MY09 sti on the other hand is only a few kg's heavier than the outgoing model (1400 kg in caged race trim). It has over 100nm more torque than than a twin scroll my07 spec C. Just a shame that the thing is so damn ugly.

Anyways back on topic.

Brendon
Ah fair enough. Yeah I'd heard Maximum were getting good results from the new cars. I wonder if they'll see that same improvement on 98 though? My understanding is that Targa Tas is going to 98. I wouldn't be surprised to see other tarmac events follow suit. Would be a great cost saving.

Agree with you about the X. No one has managed to do much with them anywhere yet. And again how much extra oomph they going to get over a 4g63 Evo to move the extra kilos when they are restricted to 98?

On topic, I wonder what will happen to Atkinson. Not much chance of a seat in either of the factory teams and I'd say he'd struggle to pull together the sponsorship in what is still really a European series to run a privateer car. Poor bugger.
Old 17-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

IRC and Irish tarmac rally ftw.
Or bring back the good ol' GroupB days
Old 17-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr?
IRC and Irish tarmac rally ftw.
Or bring back the good ol' GroupB days
Shit yeah! I have some good footage of the irish tarmac rallies. Very hardcore stuff. In this particular one, most of the cars were of WRC spec and Marcus Gronholm got thrown into the mix to see if he could beat anyone, or if anyone could beat him!

There are some serious competitors out there.
Old 17-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC
Ah fair enough. Yeah I'd heard Maximum were getting good results from the new cars. I wonder if they'll see that same improvement on 98 though? My understanding is that Targa Tas is going to 98. I wouldn't be surprised to see other tarmac events follow suit. Would be a great cost saving.
Maximums have only built one car which has every conceviable box ticked in terms of homologated parts. The car is owned by Graham Iddles and it is his first foray into car racing. By his own admission he is a long way off the pace at the moment but certainly has the car and the will to do a lot better. There is another car in build for dean that will be ready for targa tas.

Dean recently won a gravel rally in china in an 08 and everyone (sti japan et al) was pretty happy about it.

Maximums got 100nm more torque out of the 08 on pump fuel than they did out of the 07 spec C on elf. Exhaust variable valve timing FTW. Power is always handy but is certainly secondary to torque in the tarmac stuff.

Also if you use pump fuel the tuners always leave a bit up their sleeve because of the irregularities in the fuel. My understanding is that there are a couple of other fuels that will garantee 98 octane and people will use these because you can tune right up to the limit knowing you have good fuel.

I figured there would be no point buying an evo 9 or MY06 / 07 spec C as they are at the end of their development cycles and despite them being extremely well sorted and competitive now it will be interesting to see how they go in a couple of years.

Brendon
Old 17-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Subaru Tech Division

lebrunt at standard level

wow that really sucks !! loved rally mainly because of subarus !!! real shame
Old 18-12-2008, 08:19 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

WRC at standard level

Well 100nm on 98 isn't to be sneezed at that's for sure. I'd assumed (stupidly) that that was on elf or something.

Understand what you're saying about the 9 and 07s stis being at the end of their development cycle. When I bought my car in I was really torn about whether to buy a X RS instead of the IX because there was bugger all difference in price, but I wasn't and still aren't convinced that the improvements in the engine and the slightly wider track and ability to use wider rubber is going to out weigh the weight problems the X has.

However I could be proven completely wrong!

Obviously a different situation with the new Spec C STI. And considering there wasn't much in it between the Spec C and the 9's sounds like they might be ahead of the game with the new car.

Last edited by WRC; 18-12-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Tags
subaru, withdraw, wrc