Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   1/4 mile time 05 sti (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/24328-1-4-mile-time-05-sti.html)

Serbaru 14-01-2009 11:46 PM

1/4 mile time 05 sti

Hey guys just got back from kwinana and had 1 pretty good run with the new cold air intake and then after that couldnt do it again or get quicker....i got 13.058 and after that non stop 13.2 13.4 the colder the night got the worser times...i think it could be from the aps cold air intake that i just got put on was cold for one run and then after that too much hot air getting to it ...seems that my launches are alot better with constant 1.8's now but times are getting slower after adding the aps.

So best i achieved was 13.058@164kmh but couldnt do it again or come close from it always .2 off....previous best time with normal stock air box intake was 13.1 all day on a hot night.

what use think??? much appreciated

SPEC IV 15-01-2009 12:06 AM

A tune with the aps CAI would better your times overall compared to the box.

Serbaru 15-01-2009 12:16 AM

[QUOTE=SPEC IV]A tune with the aps CAI would better your times overall compared to the box.[/QUOTE]

Would it be better if i had a K&N panel in the stock box over the CAI...?

mr_psi 15-01-2009 12:25 AM

yes it would be better. thats what your car is tuned for.

Serbaru 15-01-2009 12:27 AM

[QUOTE=mr_psi]yes it would be better. thats what your car is tuned for.[/QUOTE]

Car hasnt been tuned at all ...just put TBE and CAI Without tuning.

SPEC IV 15-01-2009 03:03 AM

[QUOTE=Serbaru]Car hasnt been tuned at all ...just put TBE and CAI Without tuning.[/QUOTE]

In order to take [B]full[/B] advantage of any mod your car needs to be tuned. Otherwise it can be a costly exercise. That is why many of the members have all their mods put on at once and then have it tuned accordingly. = happy days :D

207 de 15-01-2009 07:37 AM

is that the only mod you have done? If so its a good time and will probably not go any quicker

Jimmy S 15-01-2009 08:14 AM

Yeah! As Pete said, thats a good time for a stock car with just TBE and Intake...

Save your $$$s and get yourself a tune for the mods and you'll be straight into the 12s!

Remnant 15-01-2009 08:28 AM

boost solenoid + tune? Maybe fuel pump?

Sethor 15-01-2009 08:53 AM

I was getting constant 13.1's when I had TBE & intake done, so your times are about right. The only reason I can think of that caused slower times is maybe your shift timing, if your taking it to redline try shifting earlier.

Serbaru 15-01-2009 01:07 PM

Thanks for the info guys...

I really wanna crack that 12 before i get a tune...but i dont know if im gonna keep the aps on any longer.

Shifting last night was really quick....alot faster than my first run but just couldnt crack into 12's was getting slower times, which i found funny :S.

do use guys stay in 4th end track or hit 5th before the line?

mattmy99 15-01-2009 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=Serbaru]Thanks for the info guys...

I really wanna crack that 12 before i get a tune...[/QUOTE]

Huh? As said in this thread multiple times already, your times aren't bad for the mods you've done. There's a good chance you wont get it much faster (consistantly) as it is.

Go get a tune, it'll make the most of the mods you've done, and most likely put you into the 12sec zone.

RUSSGT 15-01-2009 01:17 PM

Also make sure your not over/under fueling. Does that not worry you? You have a very expensive car so whats $1000?

Serbaru 15-01-2009 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=mattmy99]Huh? As said in this thread multiple times already, your times aren't bad for the mods you've done. There's a good chance you wont get it much faster (consistantly) as it is.

Go get a tune, it'll make the most of the mods you've done, and most likely put you into the 12sec zone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i think i most likely will just get the tune before going again...but might just get it tuned to the K&N Panel filter rather than the aps Cai.

What sort of times will i be looking at with a tune? on them mods.

SPEC IV 15-01-2009 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT]Also make sure your not over/under fueling. Does that not worry you? You have a very expensive car so whats $1000?[/QUOTE]

In regards to fueling the car, are the fuel pumps different in STi 's compared to WRX??

Depending on the answer fuel pump upgrade may be in order too.

Sethor 15-01-2009 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=Serbaru]

Shifting last night was really quick....alot faster than my first run but just couldnt crack into 12's was getting slower times, which i found funny :S.

do use guys stay in 4th end track or hit 5th before the line?[/QUOTE]

What RPM's were you shifting at? When I had the VF35 still on I always shifted into 5th as the VF35 has useless top end. Next time you go down try shifting gears at different RPM's each run (ie one run shifting @ redline, one @6500RPM, one @6000rpm etc).

Serbaru 15-01-2009 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=Sethor]What RPM's were you shifting at? When I had the VF35 still on I always shifted into 5th as the VF35 has useless top end. Next time you go down try shifting gears at different RPM's each run (ie one run shifting @ redline, one @6500RPM, one @6000rpm etc).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info dude...i think ill be down there next week to try out the K&N Panel filter if its not hot.

I was shifting around about redline and then tried before redline so it wouldnt bounce off the red line....i set the shift light at about 6500rpm so i would know to change at that exact time so it wouldnt bounce and slow my times down....do you usualy ride the cluth a bit while changing gears so you dont get hops or do you just change really quick and get that hop between gears?

type25 15-01-2009 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=Serbaru]....do you usualy ride the cluth a bit while changing gears so you dont get hops or do you just change really quick and get that hop between gears?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be flat changing, but I wouldn't be riding the clutch either.

Have you fitted a rear sub-frame lock kit yet?

Serbaru 15-01-2009 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=type25]I wouldn't be flat changing, but I wouldn't be riding the clutch either.

Have you fitted a rear sub-frame lock kit yet?[/QUOTE]

Hey mate...nah i havnt aye.

whats the purpose for it?

type25 15-01-2009 10:41 PM

It tightens the rear end, stops the diff "banging" on hard launches/firm gearchanges.
reduces the movement between the diff and the crossmember, and also between the crossmember and the body.

Serbaru 15-01-2009 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=type25]It tightens the rear end, stops the diff "banging" on hard launches/firm gearchanges.
reduces the movement between the diff and the crossmember, and also between the crossmember and the body.[/QUOTE]

i read up about it...is it like mainly for race use and what not, says not recommended for daily use.

207 de 16-01-2009 09:25 AM

So all you have is a pod right? no exhaust or anything?

How were you planning to get a tune for the pod, or K & N filter if you dont have any form of aftermarket ecu?

Not trying to be smart, just its not making a-lot of sense.. : ) (I have an 05 sti as well, got 13.5 dead stock, 13.1 is a fast time)

Also note that modding the new age subarus without ecu changes generally will slow it down, or worse, possibly cause some damage.

Be careful dude.

gtr_eta 16-01-2009 11:44 AM

03 STI TBE k&n panel filter fuel pump tune 260hp@ the hubs 12.58
so with a tune thats what you wopuld expect

BLUES 16-01-2009 11:55 AM

Do you rev the tits off it or short shift? Wicked time.

RUSSGT 16-01-2009 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=gtr_eta]03 STI TBE k&n panel filter fuel pump tune 260hp@ the hubs 12.58
so with a tune thats what you wopuld expect[/QUOTE]
Crap thats fast! Get ready to tune my car Sean! Feb 2nd. haha

gtr_eta 16-01-2009 12:24 PM

I think i change around 7000rpm mark maybe a tad earlier carly done a 13.0 in it but she is gentle on the shifts shows how much time can be lost in gear changes coz her launch was good

gtr_eta 16-01-2009 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT]Crap thats fast! Get ready to tune my car Sean! Feb 2nd. haha[/QUOTE]
Ha Ha i am always ready as long as it isn't hot like today ....

jzr 16-01-2009 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=gtr_eta]Ha Ha i am always ready as long as it isn't hot like today ....[/QUOTE]

yeah that dyno room would be a like a sauna today.

gtr_eta 16-01-2009 12:54 PM

Quit for the day dyno room hit 54 after several power runs this morning ...
No point trying to tune these cars...

matthews 16-01-2009 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=gtr_eta]Quit for the day dyno room hit 54 after several power runs this morning ...
No point trying to tune these cars...[/QUOTE]

lets hope it cools down then for Thursday when my car comes up for a tune.

confuzion 16-01-2009 01:00 PM

fark crazy temps

[quote]03 STI TBE k&n panel filter fuel pump tune 260hp@ the hubs 12.58
so with a tune thats what you wopuld expect[/quote]

Sean you amaze me how you get the most out of every car!

jzr 16-01-2009 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=gtr_eta]Quit for the day dyno room hit 54 after several power runs this morning ...
No point trying to tune these cars...[/QUOTE]

stuff that. so how long will it be before waynes there drinking beer?

gtr_eta 16-01-2009 02:14 PM

He has been and gone too hot for even the onlookers ha ha

jzr 16-01-2009 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=gtr_eta]He has been and gone too hot for even the onlookers ha ha[/QUOTE]

haha. when its a little cooler ill come down and say hi. its been a while since i have been that way.

stoff 16-01-2009 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=Serbaru]Hey guys just got back from kwinana and had 1 pretty good run with the new cold air intake and then after that couldnt do it again or get quicker....i got 13.058 and after that non stop 13.2 13.4 the colder the night got the worser times...i think it could be from the aps cold air intake that i just got put on was cold for one run and then after that too much hot air getting to it ...seems that my launches are alot better with constant 1.8's now but times are getting slower after adding the aps.

So best i achieved was 13.058@164kmh but couldnt do it again or come close from it always .2 off....previous best time with normal stock air box intake was 13.1 all day on a hot night.

what use think??? much appreciated[/QUOTE]

How long are you leaving it between runs?

I'd suggest parking up for longer with the bonnet up and maybe even some ice packs on the intercooler and intake pipe. Let everything cool right down.

Everyone wants to get as many runs in as possible, but whats the point (apart from practising shifting) if your going slower?

Wasn't wed the hottest overnight min of the summer so far? The cast alloy of the APS intake is definately going to hold the heat longer than the plastic under those conditions.

Serbaru 17-01-2009 12:17 AM

[QUOTE=207 de]So all you have is a pod right? no exhaust or anything?

How were you planning to get a tune for the pod, or K & N filter if you dont have any form of aftermarket ecu?

Not trying to be smart, just its not making a-lot of sense.. : ) (I have an 05 sti as well, got 13.5 dead stock, 13.1 is a fast time)

Also note that modding the new age subarus without ecu changes generally will slow it down, or worse, possibly cause some damage.

Be careful dude.[/QUOTE]

Nah i have a turbo back exhaust and just the APS CAI Which wasnt the best.

Nice time as well man for stock...13.5.

Im gonna get a verso tune done very soon.

207 de 17-01-2009 07:25 AM

ah, ok..I need to read things more closely hehe...TBE...

13.5 is about the norm without being too agressive..I think my 60ft was around 2sec with that time. : )

Mind you, its modded now, havent been back to the drags yet..Should be good for a low 12...If I get interested enough! : )

fffffred 17-01-2009 10:25 AM

Pete,

How long have you had the MY05 for? What happened to the bugeye?

When's the next Dambuster?

Fred
________
[URL="http://howtorollajoint.net/"]HOW TO ROLL A JOINT[/URL]

207 de 17-01-2009 11:19 AM

hey fffred! : )

Had the 05 sti for over a year, the bug crashed and burned man! : ) Me being silly, no injuries though but the car died..

Dambusters ey? Its been a while...they still happen but not so public these days..p-wrx so big now ; )

Leeroy 09-02-2009 10:36 PM

Can I ask what is the approx 1/4 time for a stock Bugeye STi, and roughly what would you expect it to be in same model with TBE, CAI, verso and fuel pump? I gather that is the general starting point for mods for the model (excluding suspension etc)?

Cheers