Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-06-2009, 09:44 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level
Default Harness install?

Not sure what section to put this in really...

I have an 06 WRX and even in stock form with reasonable tyres I am falling out of the seats on track.

The obvious solution is a nice bucket seat but being a WRX my car has side impact airbags and I'm still not entirely sold on the idea of jamming a resistor in to the plug where the airbag used to be to fool the ECU its still there.

So a few questions..

Does anyone use a harness with a stock seat? Is it effective?

Where do you mount the shoulder straps?

Does this look like a good purchase? http://www.mmsport.com.au/productvie...=subaru_safety

On a side note..I am really enjoying my car but why did Subaru fit such apalling seats?!?! No lumbar control and barely any support from the bolsters...dont they know just how much cornering grip their cars are capable of?!
Old 25-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Harness is definitely worthwhile.
Harness bar looks OK if not pricey.
MMS can locate eyebolts behind your rear seat but this means taking the back seat out every time you want to track it (which isn't a bad thing & only takes about 5 min).
DO NOT be tempted to have the shoulder strap eyebolts anywhere near floor level.
Old 25-06-2009, 03:52 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

*shudder* I have seen some very average harness installs. One of the MR2's I used to own had a plate with a threaded hole either side of the carpet on the rear firewall with the eye bolt going through...yep just through the carpet and nothing else. Not only that but they were right down near the floor immediately behind the seat....god knows what the previous owner was thinking!

I thought the bar was a bit pricey to but then I couldnt find anyone else offering a locally manufactured, off the shelf item. The kit from other parts of the world are not as neat either, they tend to just be a bar running directly behind the front seats and then factor in exchange rates yadda yadda etc...

I'm guessing the MMS job involved some drilling and welding of spreader plates? Probably way cheaper than a harness bar though.
Old 25-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Can't you mount the shoulder strap to the baby seat bolt hole on the parcel shelf? I wouldn't have a clue, more asking than suggesting.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 25-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza
Can't you mount the shoulder strap to the baby seat bolt hole on the parcel shelf? I wouldn't have a clue, more asking than suggesting.
not really, the child restraint points are not adequate to restrain the weight of a adult in the unfortunate case of an accident.

sparco do a very nice harness bar which mounts between the "b" pillars, it enables access to the rear seat without removing the harness.
If I remember correctly it is very expensive.
I am sure that if you download some pictures and show them to someone like Steve at Maitland Performance Fabrications he could make you something similar to do the job.
You may even be able to get a few people interested for a bulk order??
Old 25-06-2009, 09:23 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

danman at standard level

harness bars are handy. But there are a few things you need to consider. They are reasonably expensive, they can sometimes be a pain to fit (they are a little fiddly) and they still turn your car into a two seater.

For the money you pay for a harness bar you could almost get a 1/2 cage from somewhere like bond and get the roll over protection as well.
Old 26-06-2009, 06:50 AM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

the sparco bar does NOT make the car into a 2 seater.
and a half cage would make the car into a 2 seater.
any half cage worth having would cost a lot more than a harness bar.
Old 26-06-2009, 07:41 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by type25
I am sure that if you download some pictures....
Hint taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman
harness bars are handy. But there are a few things you need to consider. They are reasonably expensive, they can sometimes be a pain to fit (they are a little fiddly) and they still turn your car into a two seater.

For the money you pay for a harness bar you could almost get a 1/2 cage from somewhere like bond and get the roll over protection as well.
Well its only a 2 seater as long as the harness is clipped in which it wouldnt be on the road because they are a pain in the arse.
Old 26-06-2009, 09:10 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

danman at standard level

I should have said that fitting a Harness bar 'effectively' turns your car into a 2 seater as you really do not want to sit back there as it is quite intrusive.
Old 26-06-2009, 10:22 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Ah yes I see. Another concern I would have with a B pillar to B pillar harness bar would be the mess it will make of a rear seat passengers face in a crash.

Tags
harness, install