Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Excessive Fuel Consumption & Other issues (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/30200-excessive-fuel-consumption-other-issues.html)

MKVIGTI 17-11-2009 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=type25;409511]If I remember correctly subaru's "official" fuel consumption, as displayed on the front windscreen (legal requirement on all brand new vehicles) of the sg forester xt was 15l/100km, this is usually the combined figure, averaged between city and freeway driving.

this figure alone put me off the idea of buying the missus one back in '04.[/QUOTE]

Would have thought the combined figure would be better than that. The Pig Sti was only 11.6.

jEstEr? 17-11-2009 11:01 PM

PS, cruise control is fuel efficiency's worst nightmare. You can get another 100km out of a tank using your right foot properly

MKVIGTI 17-11-2009 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?;409613]PS, cruise control is fuel efficiency's worst nightmare. You can get another 100km out of a tank using your right foot properly[/QUOTE]

In hilly terrain I would agree but the system in the later Subaru's is very good and considerably better than most on flat ground. I would be surprised if you would do better than the cruise in the STi on a trip to Margs.

Also the temptation to cruise just a tiny bit over the limit is easier to avoid when using the cruise and can save you considerably more than a couple of bucks of fuel.

Strubaru 17-11-2009 11:19 PM

sounds like it could be a dead o2 sensor, when they die they read lean so the ecu dumps more fuel in, its a safety thing to protect your engine i think, i was getting only 350 out of a tank when my o2 sensor died, i now get about 430 with a new one

nicebus 18-11-2009 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=paulmp;409268]Hey all,

Well I not long got back from a 4000km road trip in my Forester XT.. and I've got a few concerns about it.

I got the car serviced by All Star at Malaga, they did a full service and reset the ECU back to factory for me.. it was factory, but was messed up a bit or something.. I don't know.

Anyway, we left Perth the next day on our road trip north and back. I decided to do some recording on fuel usage and the such. In one stretch of relatively flat roads, 100% cruise control at 110kph, no overtaking or exciting driving.. I used 28L in 200kms.. so 14L per 100km, the sort of thing you would expect around town with a little bit of exciting driving.. not highway kms with cruise control and next to no wind or hills.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to look at, I've already checked all the clamps on the air intake and the such the only mods on the car are:

HKS Airfilter to replace the standard filter, it was cleaned by Allstar before we left.
Snorkus was removed before I bought the car, I'm considering putting in a bit of PVC piping to direct air straight into the airbox..

The other issue I've had is that the car frequently smells like it's lost radiator coolant and that it's overheated.. yet the temp gauge sits where it's supposed to and there hasn't been any visible loss or drop in coolant.

Any ideas would be great.

- paul[/QUOTE]

Did you only check it once and was that on Brand Highway. ? Could have been a strong head wind which has caught me out a few times in my SS ute on that trip.

jEstEr? 18-11-2009 09:19 AM

o2 sensor doesn't sound like a bad idea actually, i had a crack in the dump pipe on my 323gtx before the o2 sensor, after welding it up i went from 180km a tank to 350

paulmp 18-11-2009 06:18 PM

No.. I'm a bit inane with fuel tracking, I like to keep an eye on how much fuel the car is using, it's a simple way of knowing if the car is running good or not.

Stupid question.. where would I find the o2 sensor? I have very little clue under my subaru bonnet.. I've rebuilt nissan and holden engines.. all v6 engines and easy to play with..

- paul

Rossco 18-11-2009 09:13 PM

On the dump pipe off the back of the turbo.

Terry.Wrist 18-11-2009 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=Rossco;409987]On the dump pipe off the back of the turbo.[/QUOTE]
Yep, just before where the dump pipe bolts to the mid pipe under the car, need to get under the car ;)

paulmp 18-11-2009 11:55 PM

Cool, thanks for that. I'm getting it up on the hoist tomorrow.

- paul