Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Perth WRX RSS Post Engine

rss.feed at standard level
Post There Will Be Mud: An express course in ice racing with Subaru

Filed under: Etc., Subaru

Subaru Ice Racing School - Click above for high-res image gallery

John Haugland, the man tasked with turning us flacks into ice racers, advised us to do several things the night before our instruction. For whatever reason, being "water positive" stuck with me the most. So before heading to bed I chugged a bottle and a half of water, woke up in the middle of the night, downed the other half and then drank another bottle before heading out to the makeshift circuit. When the time came to man-up in one slightly modified Subaru WRX, I had to liberate some liquid... badly.

Exacerbating my bursting bladder was the near-freezing temps of Park City, Utah, but despite the mid-30s weather and an early morning departure, by the time I rolled up to the staging lights, a fair amount of the course had succumbed to the sun. The result was a circuit comprised of equal parts snow and ice, with a few mud pits thrown in for dramatic measure.

But no matter the state of terra firma, sliding is sliding, grip is grip and opposite lock antics were mine for the taking, so after a quick trip to the port-o-potty I dialed in a few thousand revs, dropped the clutch and sped my way towards the first chicane. It took all of two turns and several muffled orders from Haugland to begin to see the allure of ice racing and understand what our man Tim has been proselytizing in his ongoing series.

My first go-round was suitably slow and occasionally sideways, but for the most part it was an exercise in anticlimactic understeering. And then... epiphany!

Gallery: Subaru Ice Racing School

Continue reading There Will Be Mud: An express course in ice racing with Subaru

There Will Be Mud: An express course in ice racing with Subaru originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Tags
express, ice, mud, racing, subaru