Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Sir AntiLag

Subigrl at standard level
Default Wrong Load Rating???:S

Ok,

So basically about 8-10 months ago i put new rims and tyres on, i went to Bridgestone in canningvale, and they my load rating on my car MINIMUM is 500 and they put on new Firehawk SZ50's with a load rating of 487 ?!?!?

I was told this is really dangerous and they could blow out at anytime??
But wouldn't the company know what they were doing in the first place, and why would they put the wrong tyres on my car to begin with then??

Also... the back inside of my tyres are now also bald

HELP!!

Last edited by Subigrl; 06-02-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Sign me up!
Sir AntiLag

maniac at standard level
Send a message via MSN to maniac

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#loads

Think you will find there is a degree of tolerance in the specified load ratings...its based on maximum speed, so unless you are frequently doing in excess of 200Kph then I doubt its going to blowout....that said, its safest to use correct load ratings (obvious fact I know)

If it is just the inside of the rear tyres that is bald, then it suggests the camber is set wrongly....at least get a full alignment to check it out. I'm not a tyre expert!

Call John @ Wheels World - 9244 2277
Old 06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Get in an accident, and insurance will be voided if you're not running the right load rating.
Some tyre shops will take you for a ride if you don't raise the question.

I think the baldness of the tyre can be due to
- poor wheel alignment (pls dont use tyre shops to do your wheel alignment, go to places that deal with performance vehicles (non HSV), like RMS, Wheels World, Wilkinson

- poor tyre quality. Dont skimp on tyres! They are the most underated handling mod and they are the only thing separating you and the road

Beat me to it, karl!

Stalker!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:49 PM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

Yeah they should have really fitted the correct tires if they had already stated to you that a correct load rated tire should be fitted.

Any reason why 8-10 months later you realised?
Unfortunately, they may not help you seeings it was this long ago that they were fitted.... but it doesnt hurt to pop back and query them.

The balding on the inside is due to not rotating tires, how you drive and wheel alignment. Any of these has a effect on how long your tires will last. Its a good idea to check them every few weeks and have them rotated if neccesary.

I had a set of brand new 17's wear out on the inside within 2.5months (that was driving from Kalgoorlie to Perth and back each week tho) but at $240 a pop... ended up costly

If you can get away with them, have them rotated and see if you can get them to last till you can afford some new ones....
Old 06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
STI Master

REXXX at standard level

A/ your car is highly unroadworthy
B/ your insurance is null and void
C/ having overloaded tires is plain old dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subigrl
Also... the back inside of my tyres are now also balled

HELP!!
sounds like they not only fitted the wrong load rated tires, but didnt properly align them either... they obviously have high regard for your personal safety.
even without regular rotation, they shouldn't bald severely.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Sign me up!
Sir AntiLag

maniac at standard level
Send a message via MSN to maniac

Dunno if its a misguided belief, but I'm not a fan on rotating tyres. It hides any discrepancies that can be noted from tyre wear giving some indication for various problems. Just my 2¢ worth on that subject.

But yeh, dont scrimp and save on tyres and alignment....too much relies on those 4 points of contact with the road.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:05 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Dunno if its a misguided belief, but I'm not a fan on rotating tyres. It hides any discrepancies that can be noted from tyre wear giving some indication for various problems. Just my 2¢ worth on that subject
True...

A "good" tire shop tho (one that you trust) should be able to notify you on anything they notice out of the ordinary.

I think rotating them just gets the most out of your $ in the end. Alignments can be stuffed very easy (bumping a curb) so by keeping up with a tire service history (which most decent places should do) will help eliminate most of these probs.

Its sounds stupid to keep a service on your tires upto date (like engine oil etc) but like these guys said... its those 4 bits of rubber that lay between you and the road.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Sir AntiLag

Subigrl at standard level

hmmmm,

Well my dad is mates with a guy there so i just assumed they would be fine and when i took it in there all the guys told me they were so i never botherd to check on it until it came to my attention that they are now balled !!!LOL

*sigh* NOT going back there again. Oh and FYI some assholes bent my arial sat night in scarborough too

Why are people so mean these days???
Old 06-02-2006, 03:32 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Why are people so mean these days???
They steam that we own scoobys and they dont

I made the mistake of taking my car to be tuned etc by a workshop that my dad said " yeah mate, they know what they are doing. I wouldnt send you to someone whom i thought didnt know what they were doing..."

Almost a blown motor and $3000 later......

I think sometimes, some companies tend to think " ahh they wont get pissed off cause we are mates with their parents etc"

Anywho, good luck with the tires matey
Old 06-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

scoobgrrl, cut your losses and get some new tyres (all 4 at once), and get your alignment done at one of the above mentioned places (Wheels world, Wilkinsons, WA Suspensions etc).

I used to balk at the cost of Wheels World (bob jane alignment $45, WW $77) but once you sit down and talk to the guys, and once you see your little graph with the before & after results on it, you won't want your wheels done anywhere else

Tags
load, ratings, wrong