Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Perth WRX RSS Post Engine

rss.feed at standard level
Post Travis Pastrana spotted on Mt. Washington, record attempt in the works?

Filed under: Motorsports, Marketing/Advertising, Subaru, Celebrities

As if his success in motocross and rally racing weren't enough, Travis Pastrana may be looking for still bigger mountains to climb. Mainly, Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, the tallest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288 ft.

Autoblog reader Andrew Stowell caught up with Pastrana at the famed Mt. Washington Auto Road where the multi-medal X Games winner was reportedly scouting turns, making pace notes and filming some interviews for what should be a new YouTube sensation if he accomplishes this mission.

According to Stowell, Pastrana's plan is to break the Mt. Washington Auto Road record of six minutes and 42 seconds set in 1998 by Frank Sprongl driving an Audi Quattro (see Sprogl's run in full after the jump). Pastrana will supposedly be driving his X Games rally WRX STI, though when Stowell caught him he was behind the wheel of a stock WRX for practice.

Astute readers will remember my own tale of tackling the Auto Road this summer in Autoblog's long-term 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT, which I accomplished in around 25 minutes amidst heavy tourist traffic. The eight-mile road is not for the faint of heart with over 100 turns. True, Pikes Peak is longer at 12.4 miles and turnier with 156 curves, but that famous stretch of Colorado road rises at an average incline of just 7 degrees. The Mt. Washington Auto Road reaches for the skies at a 12-degree angle, and the road is narrower too. So let's just say it's no drive in the park.

We're not exactly sure when Pastrana will possibly attempt a record run, or if in fact that's what he's doing there. Subaru of America told us that it's a Red Bull-sponsored stunt and they're not involved, and Red Bull Motorsports has yet to respond to our inquiries. Nevertheless, our man on the ground claims the attempt will happen on Thursday. We'll keep you updated when we find out how he did.Continue reading Travis Pastrana spotted on Mt. Washington, record attempt in the works?

Travis Pastrana spotted on Mt. Washington, record attempt in the works? originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 08 Sep 2010 19:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

odds on a travis-crashdrama.

Long live the WRC
Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

I'll take 10:1 odds he'll fly off the road and fall a few hundred meters in
a fireball to his death.

At least my DC/Subaru Team USA Pastrana tee will double in price to $40 then.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO

Tags
attempt, mt, pastrana, record, spotted, travis, washington, works