Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-02-2006, 12:32 PM
greg01wrx

Default tips on drags at "plex"

hi guys..want to take my rex ..01..bolt on mods to the "plex"....any tips on racing there..cause track has more traction..revs..and clutch..drop or slip..eg..thanks greg
Old 15-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Sir AntiLag

D1josh at standard level

i launch my car the same way wherever i drive it, dial up about 4-5grand, i usually modulate my foot on the pedal, i dont really know why i do it, just seems to work :P Release 80% of the clutch pedal so that u can feel your car shoot off, and i tend to bleed out the remaining 20%, i'd never just dump the clutch but some people find that works better for them. Some people will also use the handbrake whilst letting off the clutch to the friction point, but i dont find that helps me personallly. Best idea is just to try all different sorts of launching techniques and find one thats best for you...
Old 15-02-2006, 01:13 PM
EVOCLUB 4

As posted in a previous thread "a new clutch is cheaper that a new gearbox"
I go with the slip method.....
Old 15-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Diesel

Hi_VoLtAgE is unrated

and dont let your nerves get the better of you.

let us know how you go.

goodluck.
Old 15-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Sir AntiLag

D1josh at standard level

oh and another tip, your timer wont start until u move, so my advice, let the other guy go, dont try and race him, concentrate on getting your own launch right without him distracting you, then take off!
Old 15-02-2006, 06:16 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Start with a higher tyre pressure of about 36psi. If it spins to much reduce it down 2 psi a time. 26 to 28 psi should see it hooking up pretty well. Control the amount of wheel spin or clutch slip by the throttle when in first gear. A lot depends on the max power output of the car.

Slipping the clutch is one method, if you don't use this method then you need to break traction and spin of the line. Release the clutch firmly but not with abuse (Polarbear you need more work in this area )

BTW stay at home if you like to launch softly, its embarassing watching a WRX bog down and produce 15 second runs
Old 15-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Sir AntiLag

Narchi at standard level

Wat do u mean by slipping the clutch???. Been trying to work out the best launch and always end up smelling burning clutch or jump. Sorry to steal thread just thought it was on topic.
Old 15-02-2006, 07:08 PM
greg01wrx

Smile

thanks for the tips..see how i go when my shoulder gets better..still 4 weeks of arm in sling...car bogging down is that due to traction of the track..? ta greg
Old 15-02-2006, 07:15 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Firstly never slip your foot sideways of the clutch. There is basically 2 methods of launching.

1) Wheel Spin; Firm even release of clutch with high revs...wheels spin removing excessive torque from drive train= Good Launch...or something breaks if it bogs down generally the revs were to low. Use higher revs, harder tyres or firm up the rear suspension to reduce traction

2) Clutch Slip; same revs as above then release the clutch 0.2 seconds slower. As it starts to bite it slips slightly, then starts taking up. The result if done properly gets you off the line like an F14 off an Aircraft Carrier. Down side is you over do the revs or release the clutch to slowly...then smoke starts to pour through the floor and it smells really bad = burnt clutch. They recover pretty well but it can ruin a pressure plate pretty quick. Still these are consumables in the world of motorsports

Last edited by maddog; 15-02-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 15-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Sir AntiLag

Narchi at standard level

oh cool so i been doin the clutch slip one and not knowing it lol. Flywheels and clutches arent overly expensive tho right???
and which is best to launch with a stock clutch and flywheel.

Tags
drags, plex, tips