Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-02-2006, 11:36 PM
d_generate

I don't know much about brant etc but wouldn't it be a lot easier and cheaper to hook up a hidden micro switch running through one of your engine management wires at the computer so the car can't be started no matter what, the old auto sparky who did my conversion rekoned it was the best & cheapest form of security along with your standard alarm cos no matter how good they are at bypassing your brant etc. it aint gonna start.
Old 23-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Sir AntiLag

Narchi at standard level

Only ever used autowatch. Used microwave sensors instead of ultrasonic sensors. Helps with the false alarms. Changed the external siren to a different one so i could tell the difference. also made it a bit quiter so if i did have a false alarm i would just have a glance if nearby. Also got 2 house screamers hooked up in boot and in cabin. These things stopped ne body sitting in my car. Most ppl could only stand up to 20 seconds in the cabin. Only extra sensor i got was a tilt sensor. Shock sensor will still read a glass break. As for the keypad it is more jsut to stop some1 who has found your key. Or if it was stolen. Anti Hijack is a good feature. Has override switch which is different from the brant. U cna just press the button and its all good. Overall the autowatch is a good alarm. Has alot of nifty features. Just make sure you service your alarm every 6 months or it will end up useless. No1 ever services there alarm that i know of.
Old 23-02-2006, 11:39 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

RedFox at standard level

I got autowatch + apexi turbo timer
it got installed ok, only drama i have is some mornings the engine doesnt seem to 'immobilise' properly and makes a sorta scretching/rattling noise. Turning the car of and restarting - it works fine.
kinda weird... my car is my98 wrx if your wondering
Old 23-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Sir AntiLag

Darren at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Darren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narchi
Used microwave sensors instead of ultrasonic sensors. Helps with the false alarms
In my experience, microwave sensors INCREASE the chances of false alarms in comparison to ultrasonic sensors. Microwaves are designed to detect movement even outside the confines of your car (eg a convertable with the roof down) whereas ultrasonics are restricted to within the interior of your car.

Darren
Old 23-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Sir AntiLag

Narchi at standard level

I thought with the roof down the ultrasonics would still pick up. As they rely on sound from movement. Whereas the microwave pick up movement instead of sound. I also changed the sensitivity to pick up just outside the window. I know this is ur area of work so if i am wrong i will change my choice of sensors lol. Just thats wat i was told would be better In my sonata. but im yet to install a new alarm into my wrx so if u could clear that up that would be great.
Old 23-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Diesel

Hi_VoLtAgE is unrated

Q - is it possable for the brant and a turbo timer to work in sync?
and what price are we looking at the autowatch ,not installed?
Old 23-02-2006, 01:45 PM
STI Master

REXXX at standard level

Quote:
I also changed the sensitivity to pick up just outside the window.
sometimes i walk by a car (normal hardtop), say 1m away, and the car will beep at me - warning me.
is this something ultrasonics and autowatch can do?
Old 23-02-2006, 01:54 PM
STI Master

JMAX is unrated

Ultrasonic sensors dont pick up sound. They work by using sound waves to detect movement. With windows up, ultrasonics wont false if setup correctly. With windows down wind will be picked up by the US sensors as movement.

Microwave sensors are not affect by wind but from what I gather, it's 'zone' can extend beyond the car's boundaries and can cause a false by someone just walking past the car.

Basic rule of thumb, for a sedan/wagon/fully enclosed car ultrasonics are the go. With a soft top/convertible etc then microwave.

Quote:
I thought with the roof down the ultrasonics would still pick up. As they rely on sound from movement. Whereas the microwave pick up movement instead of sound. I also changed the sensitivity to pick up just outside the window. I know this is ur area of work so if i am wrong i will change my choice of sensors lol. Just thats wat i was told would be better In my sonata. but im yet to install a new alarm into my wrx so if u could clear that up that would be great.
Old 23-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Sir AntiLag

AC Schnitzer at standard level

My house got broken into with car keys stolen but car remains. Reason being that they needed the keypad code which is 1 thing.

The 2nd thing is that if somehow a person has a replica key that fits nicely, they still wouldn't be able to start your engine because the key itself contains a code which will be authenticated before you may start the engine.

So you have 3 failsafe which is the keypad code, code on the key and the key itself. Of coz a determined and professional body would be able to jack any car if they wanted to but its the level of deterance you provide to deter them from stealing your car.
Old 23-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Sir WRX at standard level

I had an Autowatch Blue on the blue beast. Didn't stop thieves stealing my clear front indicators lenses twice

I guess those ultrasonic detectors are not really sensitive enough to pick up such movement - and you probably wouldn't want them too sensitive anyway cause otherwise it would be falsing a lot...

Tags
autowatch, experience