Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

cougermoon at standard level

Seen a few people go up it backwards a few times. Last time I did it at night a roo jumped down within a meter of the car, imo take it slowly and keep living.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Just had a roo bounce ten meters in front of me on the way back from a mate's place (11:30pm). It happened a hundred meters from the bottom/end of the zags.
Just driving the point home for any people who might still be a little skeptical.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:14 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level

Grew up in Gooseberry Hill, been down the zig zag countless times (my driving instructor even took me down there a few times when I was learning).

At the end of the day, unless you're driving like a knob, it's just a road.

Out of the hundreds of times I've been there, I've not really seen that many roos. A few, but it's not like they congregate in the bushes and plan surprise attacks.

When I was in my teens, when most people still lived with their parents, we used to have parties at the third lookout, by the quarry. Was pretty awesome, some of them were pretty big.
I once drove up the zig zag from the quarry accidentally after one of these parties. How you manage that accidentally I don't know - but I was 17, it was dark and I was giving a group of a girls a lift home, so I was distracted by bewbs. Either way, it was a very interesting drive.
You would think I would have turned around as soon as I realised I was going the wrong way, but no.
This is also why I don't trust P platers now - I remember all the dumb shit I did.

I also used to go with some mates and fire a potato gun in the quarry. We got bored of potatos and modified/re-enforced the gun to fire glass bottles. Pure awesome. Being a stupid kid was great fun.
Of course this was before the whole 911 terrorism shite. I imagine you would get arrested and/or anal raped for that now days.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Welby at standard level
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepR View Post
^ keke.

I'm not having a dig Brendon, but... it's a little easier, knowing that the only thing you're betting against... is wildlife. You have the road closed to do that run. Also, if its in a caged car, and youre wearing suit/helmet/neck brace/hans/harness... you're obviously gonna push a little harder...

On a midnight run, all the afore-mentioned 'extras' come into effect.

That said, it still takes a competent steerer to put it all together, which you obviously did!

Brent.
I can't speak for Brendon, but for me, the issue on the day is not wildlife. It is the unknown of what is around those long blind bends.

We were clocked on the radar last year at 157 kph on one of the long sections ( wherever the cops had the gun) and at that pace with the overhanging trees and the lack of visibility down the road, my main worry is coming upon another car that has had an off. With some sections through a cutting, and other sections with the drop off, there is no where to go and no chance of pulling up in time.

I hate the stage with a passion.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

wrx oh oh at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommosaurus View Post
. . . but it's not like they congregate in the bushes and plan surprise attacks. .
Interesting comment but my experience of roos is that you see them by the side of the road and they jump at you when you are alongside. Seemed to me like a premeditated 'surprise attack' but maybe they are just friendly. (!)
Old 10-03-2011, 06:35 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level

Even roos need lovin.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepR View Post
^ keke.

I'm not having a dig Brendon, but... it's a little easier, knowing that the only thing you're betting against... is wildlife. You have the road closed to do that run. Also, if its in a caged car, and youre wearing suit/helmet/neck brace/hans/harness... you're obviously gonna push a little harder...
Brent.
Agreed 100% but you can also add into that that it was a wet track....

Dont forget you have also got a navigator screaming the next corner at you so all you have to do is worry about pulling it up in time and point it somewhere near the apex. I have done the event twice and twice I have seen someone trip over. One was a newb in a proton but the other was Kerry Wade in Dunkertons Evo 9.

Mark had to worry about traction aswell. Bugger that.

I love the stage because old timers get scared and slow down and the GTR's and Lambos have epic trouble swinging it around the hairpins. The old dak dak loves it!

Brendon

Brendon
Old 10-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus View Post
I love the stage because old timers get scared and slow down and the GTR's and Lambos have epic trouble swinging it around the hairpins. The old dak dak loves it!

Brendon

Brendon
^ It's a real rex stage, isn't it! For once we have the genuine advantage.

Alex

Alex

Tags
kalamunda, roo huntin, wannabe racer, zigzags