Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Is a new warranty motor a selling feature? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/41580-new-warranty-motor-selling-feature.html)

obiwun32 15-04-2011 02:07 PM

Is a new warranty motor a selling feature?

Hi, I just wanted some advice for my carsales ad, I am selling my 2009 STI hatch and i didn't know whether to state that my engine was replaced under subaru warranty in 2010 with the nitrided crank version. would people shy away from a car that has had a new motor put in or would they see it as a bonus?

cheers

fatboy 15-04-2011 02:10 PM

50/50 depends on the person, some would see a new motor while others see a thrashed car that died (even if it was just a failure!)

Personally i wouldn't care either way!

HaiiSon 15-04-2011 02:13 PM

I would put it on my ad if it was me.
It eliminates the tyre kickers in a way. But obviously you gotta state a valid reason for the failure of the old engine.

Soksta 15-04-2011 02:15 PM

It depends on the person who reads the advertisement.
For me It wouldn't set off alarm bells, but it would warrant further investigation as to why the motor was replaced.

If the motor was replaced due to a faulty component, then I don't see an issue to that at all, but if the motor was replaced due to a bad aftermarket tune, then I would be cautious to proceed any further.

DAN682 15-04-2011 02:19 PM

Personally, if I was searching carsales and saw that it had a replaced motor, I wouldn't bother.

To me I would think either its been thrashed and what else is screwed on it or it is a lemon and will be troublesome.

apg39 15-04-2011 05:53 PM

Don't mention the engine at all in the advert, only when they inspect it.

JDM_STYLE 15-04-2011 06:11 PM

Just mention it has the Upgraded Nitrated crank and not about it having a new engine. :icon_thum

If they're serious and come look at the car explain the situation when they rock up.

ALEX. 15-04-2011 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=apg39;556440]Don't mention the engine at all in the advert, only when they inspect it.[/QUOTE]

No way. Don't waste people's time; they deserve to know from the outset. If I rocked up to look at the car and then the owner said "oh by the way, the engine had to be replaced" I'd become sus ("why didn't he mention this is in the first place?") and I'd probably be vary wary and possibly untrusting of whatever the owner has/will say about the car.

As said, if you mention that there is an upgraded Nitraded crank in a new engine (is there actually a legit reason, by the way?) the worst you will do is turn off the tyre-kickers...

obiwun32 15-04-2011 06:53 PM

The engine and tune has always been stock but my engine suffered ring landing failure and subsequent oil use issues which lead to engine failure. Subaru didn't question the warranty claim and they replaced the whole motor last year. not sure how i should put it in my ad?

Soksta 15-04-2011 06:56 PM

Engine was recalled due to a faulty batch of piston rings and a new engine installed free of charge by Subaru Australia :D

I'd also note the km traveled on the car before the engine was replaced.