Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Buying Gen2 Outback need some info (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/49374-buying-gen2-outback-need-some-info.html)

ginkumo12 01-06-2012 10:00 AM

Buying Gen2 Outback need some info

Hey, guys. I'm looking into getting into my 2nd Subie.

I spotted a 98 Gen2 Outback with auto trans going for under $3000
It's got a bit of hail damage and has done well over 300,000km on the odo.
It sounds quite worn, but I find it as a good starting point for getting myself a decent awd sports wagon.
With the way I see it:
-fairly old: gen2 liberty/outback body parts are plentiful
-runs an ej20: 99% of Subarus have it, but how much to swap a WRX auto engine over?
-other parts should be easy to swap into like brakes and such

I need some confirmation on this. I've managed to read that the engine is the main part to check on a car this used. I'm going to be viewing the car on the weekend, so any advice would be great.

Thank you! :)

ginkumo12 01-06-2012 11:12 AM

Any advice at all? I know this post may seem dreamer/noobish, but I'm really keen on getting something like this done. My wallet isn't fat, but I have quite a bit of paper that is free to go anywhere and a turbo AWD wagon would be ideal. :)

Kato 01-06-2012 11:44 AM

My advice would be to get a GT Forester which is already a turbo. Far easier and much cheaper on the wallet than a conversion to an Outback if funds are tight.

ginkumo12 01-06-2012 11:59 AM

Yeah, I've been thinking of getting a GT forester, but how long will those last? I was thinking of spending a max of $8k on a 2nd hand Subie wagon. I've seen Forester GTs go from $4500 to beyond my limit. I'm also trying to keep it auto as I'm intending it to be a daily that's easy to drive. I have no issues driving manual, but the ease of auto right now is just tempting. Plus more of my friends/family can drive it if they need. I may be able to bring this car down to $2500, but I need to know how much engine swap labour will cost as the engine is my only concern for now.
Not to disregard your advice, I really appreciate any info shared. Thanks. :)

GX-REX 01-06-2012 01:10 PM

Rough guesstimate would be as follows.

GC8 or GT Foz front cut - $3000
Labour - $5000 -$6000
I would also have a 100k service done on it which would be around $1000

Honestly not worth while unless you are doing all the work yourself or if it is a "special" car.

ginkumo12 01-06-2012 02:49 PM

Thanks for the info, GX-REX
Tempted to post a "nothing to do here" meme :P , but I'd be only after the engine + tranny which I've seen to be floating around the $1-2k mark.
I'm gonna be speaking to someone who helps a family friend restore cars and see how much he charges for labour.

These numbers are definitely worth considering, but I'm gonna see how many expenses I can squeeze my way past.

Many thanks.

Strubaru 01-06-2012 04:47 PM

definitely better off starting with a gt forester ;)

have been down this road myself, most wrx aftermarket parts will be plug & play & bolt on (suspension, swaybars, turbo's, headers, silicone hoses, engines/gearboxes

at the end of the day it will always be worth more than a liberty conversion too

chriSTIan 01-06-2012 06:09 PM

foz all the way,Gt of course :)

Patch 01-06-2012 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=ginkumo12;682893]but I'd be only after the engine + tranny which I've seen to be floating around the $1-2k mark.
[/QUOTE]

Don't think it works as smoothly as that, unfortunately... wiring looms change between turbo and non-turbo models, and even between revisions of engines, so there are a lot of different plugs/sensors and what not. Radiators are different, intakes are different... much simpler to start with the complete package (i.e. a front cut) and go from there. Would need a matching rear diff as well, and brake/suspension upgrades are never a bad idea either.

Pimpreza 01-06-2012 07:14 PM

Look for a cheap twin turbo GTB 94-98 wagon, then when you can afford to change it to single turbo, 7yrs ago I converted my 98 Liberty with V3 STI running gear, still got it and love it to bits even though it's hail damaged and the paint is rooted, but back then I spent 11k on the car, 6k on the front cut with rear x member & wheels and about 6k on the conversion which I did half of inc a Butler exhaust system, better off buying one that's either been done or go for the GT/GTB as most were auto. The wiring is a complete headfuck too.