Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Subaru Owners - Security issue in CBD Car Parks (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/50129-subaru-owners-security-issue-cbd-car-parks.html)

Saint_23 17-07-2012 10:28 AM

Subaru Owners - Security issue in CBD Car Parks

[quote]If you drive a Subaru to work please take note

All, yesterday my Subaru was broken into at 256 St Georges Tce car park during the day. There is a person with a master key for Subarus that will let himself into your car to steal loose change. He wasn’t interested in my gym bag or sunglasses. I have filed a police report and have requested camera footage from the car park to provide to police. I found out last night the person has been letting himself into Subarus in CBD car parks (QV1, Elder St, Pier St, 256 St Georges Tce) as I spoke to my flatmate’s friend who owns a Subaru and had her car broken into in Jan 2012. She knows of four other colleagues working at PWC that have had their Subarus broken into.

Don’t leave valuables in your car. Please let other Subaru owners know of this incident.
[/quote]

Just received this at work. Came from a reputable source.

GTB Liberty 17-07-2012 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=Saint_23;695326]Just received this at work. Came from a reputable source.[/QUOTE]

Master Key - I thought that concept had been killed years ago?

RUSSGT 17-07-2012 10:31 AM

I have a masterkey too...

[IMG]http://keenetrial.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/screwdriver.png[/IMG]

RUSSGT 17-07-2012 10:31 AM

^^Love the size of that pic. Winn!

Saint_23 17-07-2012 10:34 AM

I cant vouch for the validity of someone having a master key out there.
But can confirm the break ins occurred.

Kato 17-07-2012 10:40 AM

Sad if true.

I'd be surprised if there was a master key for a car model.

Then again, back in the day, any Cortina key could open any Cortina. Lucky no one wanted to steal them :p

(But super fun for pranks in the uni carpark)

ImPreSiV 17-07-2012 10:45 AM

I believe it is more of a scanner, it gets the frequency of the remote central locking module and pops the locks. The car can't be stolen, as there is no actual key to turn the ignition, but it can open and close the locks.

Have heard about this before, I just got the same email as you Dave.

MadDocker 17-07-2012 10:50 AM

You can rig up something similar to what Impresiv is describing to open peoples garage doors pretty easily. Car would be harder but I'm sure there are people who can make it work.

GTB Liberty 17-07-2012 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;695340]I believe it is more of a scanner, it gets the frequency of the remote central locking module and pops the locks. The car can't be stolen, as there is no actual key to turn the ignition, but it can open and close the locks.

Have heard about this before, I just got the same email as you Dave.[/QUOTE]

I understand that the "scanner method" only works on <MY07.

steve-lang 17-07-2012 10:54 AM

Have recently heard of same thing as well as cheap mobile phone sim card style tracking devices stuck to underside to record your movements for follow up theft etc. Do believe its more "made to order chop shop" style though

Strubaru 17-07-2012 11:07 AM

this has happened quite frequently to my mate in his liberty, they pull the drivers window back and use a long dowel of sorts to press the 'unlock all doors' button, epic security fail on behalf of subaru imho

happy to delete this post after you guys have read it due to the nature of it basically telling people how to break into pillarless subaru's with the unlock button on the drivers door

mattmy99 17-07-2012 11:08 AM

Don't know if it's related, but my bother had his 07 GT-B broken into whilst parked in CBD car park. It was as if they unlocked the car, stole money out of his wallet (in the center console) and then lock the car again.
He just presumed someone from the building site had taken (and returned) his keys from his esky/tool bag.

ImPreSiV 17-07-2012 11:13 AM

I believe the scanner works on any with standard remote keyless entry...

I've heard of it happening in the Convention Centre Carpark mostly.

Kato 17-07-2012 11:28 AM

Car parks need to have a guy patrolling instead of sitting in a booth looking at screens (or playing Magic the Gathering trading card games as I have seen).

wrxr2d2 17-07-2012 12:01 PM

I had a mate have his liberty in the Elders street carpark have the smae thing happen about a year ago. Car was unlocked then locked again but things were missing.
Unlike my STI when they used the screwdriver tool and smashed their way in and damaged more of the car than the cost of what they stole. Also in the Elders Street Carpark.

teejay 17-07-2012 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;695364]Car parks need to have a guy patrolling instead of sitting in a booth looking at screens (or playing Magic the Gathering trading card games as I have seen).[/QUOTE]

Would you give a fuck for 11 bucks an hour?

Strubaru 17-07-2012 12:04 PM

yeah, same carpark as where my mates regularly gets broken into, just spoke to him & he said they defo use the method i posted above, he cleans his car every weekend & could see fingerprints all around the top of the glass where they pryed it back

Kato 17-07-2012 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=teejay;695378]Would you give a fuck for 11 bucks an hour?[/QUOTE]

Car park employees receive under the minimum wage for Australia?

Someone tell Jooliar and Fairwork asap!

huggy_b 17-07-2012 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=Strubaru;695349]this has happened quite frequently to my mate in his liberty, they pull the drivers window back and use a long dowel of sorts to press the 'unlock all doors' button, epic security fail on behalf of subaru imho

happy to delete this post after you guys have read it due to the nature of it basically telling people how to break into pillarless subaru's with the unlock button on the drivers door[/QUOTE]

The RAC guy broke into my RX Impreza back in 98 with a wedge shaped piece of wood and a stick - so the methods been around for more than a decade.........I dont think you are alerting thieves to anything new.

Brett Allan 17-07-2012 12:25 PM

You can buy one of those "garage door remote" wireless learning remote for $40 from Dick Smith not too long ago, no doubt on eBay for a lot less....

Only real protection is not to leave valuables in the car....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve-lang 17-07-2012 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;695384]Car park employees receive under the minimum wage for Australia?

Someone tell Jooliar and Fairwork asap![/QUOTE]

Can organise mass industrial action should the need arise ;)

red dragon2002 17-07-2012 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;695364]Car parks need to have a guy patrolling instead of sitting in a booth looking at screens (or playing Magic the Gathering trading card games as I have seen).[/QUOTE]

Off topic but Magic The Gathering rocks!

Sethi3 17-07-2012 01:26 PM

And I thought parking in car parks were slightly safer than street park

Kato 17-07-2012 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=Brett Allan;695391]You can buy one of those "garage door remote" wireless learning remote for $40 from Dick Smith not too long ago, no doubt on eBay for a lot less....

Only real protection is not to leave valuables in the car....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

They won't work (well they shouldn't).

Used to be that your garage door would operate on a fixed frequency. Sit outside with a scanner, read frequency, reproduce, hey presto garage door goes up. (Check Gone in 60 Seconds where they do exactly this!)

Because of that, they now have cycling codes but many don't use encryption or have intrusion prevention systems. You can get stuff that can read a transmitted code and cycle though the billion alternatives in about 15 mins.

So either upgrade to something that is encrypted (properly) or don't leave gold bars sitting in your glove box.

WRXTASY 17-07-2012 02:47 PM

Can confirm this has been happening to my neighbour upstairs who owns a 07 Liberty GT.

Its happened to him twice now, no forced entry. Just valuables stolen.

Addy 17-07-2012 03:28 PM

Leaving valuables and wallets in the car??? Seriously guys, use your brain.

Adi

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Champ 17-07-2012 04:21 PM

Worryingly, this thread has progress from general subaru to almost liberty specific (see last few posts) :eek:

[QUOTE=Saint_23;695326]Just received this at work. Came from a reputable source.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;695340]I just got the same email as you Dave.[/QUOTE]

You guys work at the same place?

Saint_23 17-07-2012 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=Champ;695490]You guys work at the same place?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Rossco 17-07-2012 06:10 PM

This thread is a little bit 'LOL'.

1. No manufacturer has a mythical 'master key' for their vehicles - I mean NONE of them!

2. Different manufacturers use different remote frequencies (i.e. FM 275mhz - 418mhz) some are using the Ghz frq. range now too.

3. code 'rollers' only worked with non code hopping AM frequency alarms in the early 90's - like the old 'cobra' or 'black widow' systems.

4. all current oem systems code hop.

Anyone with skills can get into a car without damaging anything, unless it has deadlocking door latches (Euro's mainly).

Most cars have a combination oem transponder immobilizer with remote central locking & no alarm siren - making them an easy target for 'stealthy' thieves. They're not alarms - they're immobilizers with central locking.

GTB Liberty 17-07-2012 06:19 PM

You'll be missed when you go OS Ross.

Rossco 17-07-2012 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=GTB Liberty;695529]You'll be missed when you go OS Ross.[/QUOTE]

They have Free wifi EVERYWHERE!

Plus there will be an ongoing Perth-WRX Bali Kart Challenge & online leader board. :)

GTB Liberty 17-07-2012 06:37 PM

I'll look forward to having a personalised kart ...

I'll need NOS - or weigh 30 kg less which will never happen.

thebish 17-07-2012 07:57 PM

disconnect the open all doors button??? who uses it anyway?!

ImPreSiV 17-07-2012 08:14 PM

Talking with the CPP security guys a convention centre when they mentioned it to me they told me they had video footage of the guy.. Just never see his face, so he's obviously smart.

I'm sure they told me that the footage includes the hazzards flashing, as if he's unlocked the car using the key...

Rossco 17-07-2012 08:34 PM

Hazards don't flash with a key..... Quite a few of the oem systems don't flash the indicators with the *remote* either.

Jeckle 17-07-2012 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=thebish;695552]disconnect the open all doors button??? who uses it anyway?![/QUOTE]

Next mod before heading to Perth next.

ImPreSiV 17-07-2012 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=Rossco;695558]Hazards don't flash with a key..... Quite a few of the oem systems don't flash the indicators with the *remote* either.[/QUOTE]

I meant button's on a key, remote...

Rossco 17-07-2012 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;695564]I meant button's on a key, remote...[/QUOTE]

I know

Master D 17-07-2012 09:55 PM

Mine flash on lock/unlock.

When do i get my $900 lol

teejay 17-07-2012 11:19 PM

[QUOTE=Addy;695479]Leaving valuables and wallets in the car??? Seriously guys, use your brain.

Adi

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Fucking this! Seriously who leaves their wallet in a car EVER!

I even take my gym bag and sunnies into work with me. Between the 2 thats 700-800 bucks.

Im not working so some fuck can grab that and walk with it.