Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Flat Battery after 3-4 days (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/54008-flat-battery-after-3-4-days.html)

TassieMY00 01-04-2013 01:40 PM

Flat Battery after 3-4 days

For some reason my battery goes flat after 3-4 days if i dont drive it.
Checked all lights and such, so not sure whats going on.

This all started when i had an aftermarket immobiliser/alarm fitted (dynamco brand).

Do you reckon it was fitted incorrectly? and just drains power out somehow, more than normal?

Jeckle 01-04-2013 04:14 PM

Have battery checked as it may well be on its way out, go back to alarm fitter to see if there is an issue.

TassieMY00 01-04-2013 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=Jeckle;746022]Have battery checked as it may well be on its way out, go back to alarm fitter to see if there is an issue.[/QUOTE]

My last battery was still in warrantee, so they gave me a replacement and this new one is doing the same thing, so it sorta rules out the battery itself.

I took the car back to the fitter which was Hobart Car Audio but they said it was fitted correctly and didnt want to relook at it without charging me.

MY00GC8 01-04-2013 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=TassieMY00;746023]My last battery was still in warrantee, so they gave me a replacement and this new one is doing the same thing, so it sorta rules out the battery itself.

I took the car back to the fitter which was Hobart Car Audio but they said it was fitted correctly and didnt want to relook at it without charging me.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't rule out the battery at all, they can fail at any time...
Need to carry out a current draw test and see if there is any draw on the vehicle

TassieMY00 01-04-2013 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=davidsdh;746020]Get a voltage tester and put it over the battery to see if its drawing current whilst off. Try turning on other things like aircon or radio or interior lights whilst reading current to confirm its not something else that's been affected by the install.

If you don't have a voltage tester just pull off a terminal on the battery and put it back on slowly and look for small sparks = drawing current.

Had a similar issue with my last car, when aircon was turned to face only it flattened the battery in a similar time.[/QUOTE]

I tested with a voltage tester and yes it slowly goes down with everything turned off.

I took it to another place called Autocraft and they reckoned it was the stereo setup. I run a big sub and 2 huge amps so they did a setup with another battery in the boot and a RedArc between both batteries so the stereo runs off the boot battery and recharges itself when the car is going thru the redarc and main battery.

Still went flat after some days of sitting, so its pretty much not the stereo stuff either.

Regarding the air con, i pretty much only have it set to face, but surely once the car is off the ac turns off too?

munya 01-04-2013 06:24 PM

maybe you have a faulty Alternator

Jeckle 01-04-2013 06:43 PM

Don't think that would cause the battery to flatten in a few days if the car is stationary/unused. But if driven and the battery goes flat, it would point to this.

Best to go to your local auto sparkie.

TassieMY00 01-04-2013 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=munya;746029]maybe you have a faulty Alternator[/QUOTE]

Battery charges as it should when car is running at around 14volts
Its only when its turned off it you can see it being slowed drained

VUSSUTE 01-04-2013 07:35 PM

Do a resistance check between your positive terminal and the chasis with the car switched off. Sounds like you may have a partial earth.
Set your multimeter to the "Ohm" setting. Hold one terminal on positive and the other on a nice clean bare section of metal (Engine block would be good)
Reading should be over 100M ohm. If its significantly less than this you have a partial earth and the battery is slowly discharging to earth through the chassis. Also check all your headlights, tail lights and indicators, if they are flooded or have water in them that can also cause earths.

It may also be the battery. If its quite old you may need to get a specific gravity check. The electrolite might be shite.... Normally when lead acid batteries get old you have to do whats called a 'gassing charge' on them which involves overcharging the battery. Its easier just to get a new battery.

If the new battery goes flat in the same manner, its defiantly the problem that i stated earlier.

VUSSUTE 01-04-2013 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=TassieMY00;746025]I tested with a voltage tester and yes it slowly goes down with everything turned off.

I took it to another place called Autocraft and they reckoned it was the stereo setup. I run a big sub and 2 huge amps so they did a setup with another battery in the boot and a RedArc between both batteries so the stereo runs off the boot battery and recharges itself when the car is going thru the redarc and main battery.

Still went flat after some days of sitting, so its pretty much not the stereo stuff either.

Regarding the air con, i pretty much only have it set to face, but surely once the car is off the ac turns off too?[/QUOTE]

If you have a aftermarket stereo i can nearly promise you its a partial earth. Probably the power line to the deck, who ever fitted it may not have heat shrinked the terminations and its earthing onto the chassis.