Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff
Default To modify or not to modify

Hi, I am just wanting a few opinions at the moment, nothing has been done yet.
My car (2006 WRX) came with an AHG warranty which limits all but cosmetic modifications. I am just wanting peoples opinions on whether you think that the warranty is worth waiting the 3 years it covers before starting performance mods. From what I have heard from people on here the AHG warranty is pretty useless when it comes to claiming costs. I have just put new rims on the car and really want to lower it, plus I would also like to put a new exhaust on it. Both which would void the warranty.

All advice welcome.
Old 13-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Subaru Tech Division

REXXXED knows their stuff

Flush the warranty down the dunny. Then Mods Away!!!!
squid and zskarz like this.
Old 13-06-2013, 10:26 AM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Just on the warranty: what are the terms and conditions to keep the warranty valid? Do they want it serviced every 5000kms/3 months? Or less? Etc etc.
Old 13-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
Just on the warranty: what are the terms and conditions to keep the warranty valid? Do they want it serviced every 5000kms/3 months? Or less? Etc etc.
I don't have it with me but as I can recall it states the car must be serviced every 5000 ks or 6 months (whatever comes first) at an approved AHG centre and no structural or mechanical modifications can be made. Or words similar to that.

Last edited by thehowlfactor; 13-06-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 13-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

yeah, throw warranty in bin (hopefully you didnt pay extra for it) they are not worth paper they are written on, they will wangle out of any claim due to the nature of the car
RUSSGT, Bob, MY99GT and 1 others like this.
Old 13-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubaru View Post
yeah, throw warranty in bin (hopefully you didnt pay extra for it) they are not worth paper they are written on, they will wangle out of any claim due to the nature of the car
That seems to be the general consensus from people regarding the warranty. I think a new exhaust and some coilovers may be in my future.
Old 13-06-2013, 02:13 PM
STI Master

MY00GC8 at standard level

normally these warranties are every 10,000km/6months which ever occurs first and some lock you into service with that dealership to keep it valid
for majority of it they are fairly useless, but can come in handy if something that is covered fails
the only way they can say that the warranty will not cover something due to the car being modified, is if the modification is the direct cause of that component failing
eg: lowering car and shock absorber fails
Old 13-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

hey I have the same warranty as you.

AHG Auto Assure, and I took the Advantage option which covers absolutely everything.

You can modify, only thing is they won't cover the modified part, they will only cover what came with the car or to the same value if they accept to cover it.

Also if something fails as a direct result of the modification then it won't be covered.

My advice to you, change springs you'll be fine but put coilovers it's considered serious suspension mod and they won't cover anything that's related to your suspension(sways/links/arms/etc) as they will blame it on the coilovers.

Put a custom exhaust, do a tune, you'll be fine...lowering springs, you'll be fine...don't change anything else in the engine bay including intake system etc if you care about your warranty and definitely don't put coilovers.

My 2 cents.

You can call them and ask them btw, they will tell you what it is you can/can't do on the phone

Also keep your stock parts!
Old 13-06-2013, 03:48 PM
STI Master

98kellrs at standard level

I will join the masses and say wipe your arse with the warranty, I did 2 years ago and my car is still running great at 101,000kms and flew through it's 100k service with no extra work being required. The biggest thing is to enjoy your car and modify it how you want to. Also 6 monthly servicing...fuck that!

WRX's were made to be modified, they are barges (relatively) without decent sways & coilovers and they sound distinctly average without a TBE. I do however agree that you should always keep the original parts except possibly the exhaust.
Old 13-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Sign me up!
Small snail syndrome

Wozzernux at standard level
Send a message via Skype™ to Wozzernux

Cancel the AHG warranty and you should get your money back for it. As already said, it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Tags
bespoke is the word of the day, modify