Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Bringing Home the Retirement Toy - across the Nullarbor. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/55306-bringing-home-retirement-toy-across-nullarbor.html)

GTB Liberty 21-07-2013 10:05 AM

Having completed the same trip, albeit not in a Subaru, it was one of the great experiences of my life. We took the trip a little more quickly having covered the same ground in four days. Melbourne to Port Augusta to Nullabor Roadhouse to Kal to Perth.

As we were in a VVTi Toyota Celica which has an extremely high 6th gear the revs weren't nearly as high and our fuel economy much better as those Toyo's run on the smell of an oily rag.

I'd suggest that if anyone haven't done the trip it's well worth the time to transverse this very large island.

Welcome.

REXXXED 21-07-2013 10:57 AM

Next car I buy I want to do the trip. I think it would be amazing!

DukeDrifter 21-07-2013 11:30 AM

Yeah very tempted to do it for my next car.

Great write up and enjoy the new toy, out of interest what sort of cost was involved fuel wise. Pm if you like.

STIMUL8IN 21-07-2013 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=DukeDrifter;762670]...out of interest what sort of cost was involved fuel wise. Pm if you like...[/QUOTE]

You didn't read all the way to the end did you? It was all in his last paragraph. :)

[QUOTE=Big Chris;762631]...For the record, on the Melb-Perth journey, we covered 3590 kms, using 315 litres of fuel, averaging 8.76 litres/100km (32 mpg), best was 8.4 l/100kms (34 mpg) between Eucla and Caiguna, so fairly consistent. Highest cost of fuel was Caiguna ($1.99), Eucla ($1.96), average $1.65 per litre, total cost $520, fuel was Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex 98...[/QUOTE]

Bob 21-07-2013 11:49 AM

Having done it twice in different cars and loved it both times I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Love this country.

As others have said. Cheers for the write-up and pics. Enjoy the car. Hope it serves you well.

astralex 21-07-2013 12:49 PM

Wow, you make it sound so enjoyable! Admittely, I must admit my first crossing of the 'bor was pretty enjoyable, I think it was the 14 other journeys that eventually gave me the shits. Out of curiosity, did you try stopping at the Bight at all? To this day it's still one of my most memorable views.

Big Chris 21-07-2013 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=astralex;762676]Wow, you make it sound so enjoyable! Admittely, I must admit my first crossing of the 'bor was pretty enjoyable, I think it was the 14 other journeys that eventually gave me the shits. Out of curiosity, did you try stopping at the Bight at all? To this day it's still one of my most memorable views.[/QUOTE]

Not this time but have stopped at the cliff lookouts many times before. And have turned off to the Head of the Bight several times to see the whales. If anyone is looking for the best time of year to do the trip I suggest July-August-Sept in the whale season, weather permitting you will see 30 - 50 or more whales from the cliff lookout in this bay. You don't need to be a greenie to be amazed at this! The turnoff is about 15kms East of Nullarbor Roadhouse and only 12kms sealed road to the Head of the Bight.

I have done 13 return trips (26 crossings) of the Nullarbor over 40 years, some fast (4 mates in rental car to Adelaide F1 GP), some slow taking in the scenery. First trip was in 1971 in my 1967 XR Falcon V8 when there was still 500 kms unsealed road - now that's a car I wish I still had!

Cheers.

Strubaru 22-07-2013 10:01 AM

great into, welcome to perth wrx :cool:

RUSSGT 22-07-2013 10:48 AM

What an awesome read! Thanks for sharing!

Big Chris 19-08-2015 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=REXXXED;762635]Awesome intro
Would love I drive those roads with my car!
Is the car bone stock?[/QUOTE]

Rexxed, dragging up an old thread, but I was the car next to you at the Shannons Classic on the Park last Sunday.
So yes, you can see the car is still bone stock. But not quite as clean as yours!

You gotta do the drive one day, or at least hire a decent car in Melbourne and do the Victorian roads. Very enjoyable.

Chris M.