Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Correct launching techniques (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/56393-correct-launching-techniques.html)

Tony 28-10-2013 09:57 PM

Correct launching techniques

So i think their are afew people on here that could do with some tips and shit about launching our AWD cars, including myself. So i have swallowed my pride, asked the question and now hope that some of the more experienced drivers could help us out.

I have tried afew different ways. But none of them felt correct.
- riding the clutch, holding recs at 4k with tge handbrake up. Drip the hand brake release the clutch and floor the gas.
- Foot flat to the floor, when it gets to somewhere around 4k release the
Clutch
- Blip the gas so it hovers over 4k then release the clutch and floor the gas.

Now between all of these i have exprienced excessive burnt clutch smell, especially the first. I have never really had anyone show me so up until now it has just been trail and error. And i have a feeling going to shit something soon.

I should also mention i have a 6spd box, but would also like tips for those with 5spds

munya 28-10-2013 10:36 PM

First you need to find the point you first get bite on ye clutch gas and go no slipping of clutch or you will smoke it. Me have no sympathy to clutches I usually gas 5-6000 rpm and release. If i bog down more revs. But this is just me so don't take it as word as I have killed a few clutches.

kid 28-10-2013 10:40 PM

First method imo isn't that great because there's so much going on already, and then you are introducing the hand brake into the equation. I used to do that in my FWD rice burner because i could sit on the engagement point and make the front squat, and it would unleash the grip i needed to break a 17 sec quarter mile.

In the STI i used to blip to 5500- 6000 and just very quickly slip the clutch, but not quite as quick as side stepping. I found personally that with blipping i could more accurately target that rpm range as opposed to flooring. Used to get 1.7- 1.8 60' times with stock STI at the bogan community events held on Wednesdays at Kwinana..

Tony 28-10-2013 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=kid;776203]First method imo isn't that great because there's so much going on already, and then you are introducing the hand brake into the equation. I used to do that in my FWD rice burner because i could sit on the engagement point and make the front squat, and it would unleash the grip i needed to break a 17 sec quarter mile.

In the STI i used to blip to 5500- 6000 and just very quickly slip the clutch, but not quite as quick as side stepping. I found personally that with blipping i could more accurately target that rpm range as opposed to flooring. Used to get 1.7- 1.8 60' times with stock STI at the bogan community events held on Wednesdays at Kwinana..[/QUOTE]

Did you load the clutch slightly just before you launched it? Or was it just blip then clutch put from the floor.

kid 28-10-2013 10:54 PM

Nah never loaded the clutch man...i always found the STI clutches quite light so had no problem starting the launch with the clutch pedal flat.

Have you perhaps got ultra grippy tires?

Soksta 28-10-2013 11:00 PM

From personal experience...
Give the car some blips, normally 5500 to 6000 rpm and let the clutch out as smooth and as fast as possible.
Try to let the clutch out just as you rise to 6000 rpm as it bobs a little bit it you catch it late.
Had plenty of wheel spin and the back bouncing around a bit but nothing broken yet.

RJ999 28-10-2013 11:44 PM

ok I've just been for a lap around an industrial area close to mine...I can launch fine at ~5500-6000rpm without LC, just have to rev blip to there, let go, while revs starting to go down(like a split second), release clutch to bite point, smash accel and completely release clutch simultaneously/quickly... don't get any wheel spin but, so I'm assuming I'm doing it well...launches great like that.

Practice this weekend :)

Mister Two 29-10-2013 12:25 AM

6 speed. Heavy ass wagon. R comps.

Clutch just before the bite point

Smash the loud pedal all the way.

When revs hit about 6000 ish. Foot off the clutch quick but smooth.

Works every time.

REXXXED 29-10-2013 12:44 AM

Same ^
5 speed, HD clutch. Touch wood, nothing brokededed yet. Works a charm

DukeDrifter 29-10-2013 06:54 AM

I thought you wanted a little bit of wheel spin so that the load is reduced ?

6k usually works fine in my old one and the new, only thing is consistently getting the release smooth enough to not bog down.

RJ my thoughts on lc is that it's just a rev limit so you can floor the happy pedal and only worry about the clutch.

Andy! 29-10-2013 08:27 AM

My number 1 tip is have less mechanical sympathy. I think most people burn clutch or bog down when they don't give it enough revs or let the clutch out too slowly as they are worried about hurting something.

Dial up 5k+ and just drop the clutch adjust revs lower and clutch drop based on how much wheel spin you get

RJ999 29-10-2013 09:22 AM

Check out Doug's post on LC in my other LC post...seems to be a bit more than rev limit, blip doesnt maintain max boost etc etc whereas LC does via retarded timing...

Lol Im sounding pro, only just learned this in my other LC thread haha
[QUOTE=DukeDrifter;776226]

RJ my thoughts on lc is that it's just a rev limit so you can floor the happy pedal and only worry about the clutch.[/QUOTE]

nick73 29-10-2013 09:28 AM

Post up video of your efforts please. That way experienced members will be able to correctly advise you on technique.

Andy! 29-10-2013 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=RJ999;776242]Check out Doug's post on LC in my other LC post...seems to be a bit more than rev limit, blip doesnt maintain max boost etc etc whereas LC does via retarded timing...

Lol Im sounding pro, only just learned this in my other LC thread haha[/QUOTE]

This is only applicable for people with launch control on their car :)

RUSSGT 29-10-2013 10:01 AM

Can see my launch in the vid in my sig. 6k sidestep. Perfect.

mitchwnz 29-10-2013 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;776255]Can see my launch in the vid in my sig. 6k sidestep. Perfect.[/QUOTE]

Link?

RUSSGT 29-10-2013 10:18 AM

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX6eNS07ktk]STI Launch & Drift - Double Skid Pan 20-11-11 - YouTube[/url]

Tony 29-10-2013 10:41 AM

That was pretty impressive.

RJ999 29-10-2013 11:09 AM

That was a wicked drift

DZENCI 29-10-2013 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two;776222]6 speed. Heavy ass wagon. R comps.

Clutch just before the bite point

Smash the loud pedal all the way.

When revs hit about 6000 ish. Foot off the clutch quick but smooth.

Works every time.[/QUOTE]

It always worked for me :)

With launch control it does help when you have the pedal down to the floor and flat foot all the way, only at the drags tho.

Here is a test with LC, this was smooth and no dumping
[url=http://youtu.be/RwCl2gFhF2A]gtx35r wrx sti launch control test 17psi - YouTube[/url]

xr06t 29-10-2013 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;776260][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX6eNS07ktk]STI Launch & Drift - Double Skid Pan 20-11-11 - YouTube[/url][/QUOTE]

loves it :)

dtrally 31-10-2013 12:27 AM

Are you guys serious about sidestepping the clutch?
I haven't side stepped a clutch since I was 17 in a KE30 Corolla with about 30 horsepower!
I can't see how it would even work in a WRX with the footrest in the way?
Anyhoo, it's a brutal thing to do, borderline irresponsible to recommend to people who may not know better and has zero advantage over bringing the clutch to the point of release then letting it go. At least the driveline won't be as shocked then.

Tony 31-10-2013 08:43 AM

[I]disclosure: none of following where preformer on goverment roads, and where preformered using a driving simulator complete with clutch and good old forza 4. ;)[/I]

I think i may have sorted it out. I dont sidestep the clutch but am deffiantly releasing it alot faster than previous and at a higher rpm. The car doesnt bog down at all, just grips and goes and their is only a hint of clutch once i pull up and have a sniff.

RUSSGT 31-10-2013 08:54 AM

I did hundreds of those launches Doug. With a 5 speed and 6 speed. With R comps etc. Never had clutch smell. Never broke a box. Guess I was lucky all those times?

dtrally 31-10-2013 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;776520]I did hundreds of those launches Doug. With a 5 speed and 6 speed. With R comps etc. Never had clutch smell. Never broke a box. Guess I was lucky all those times?[/QUOTE]

Russ, I'm not disputing that you launched it hard. But were you really sidestepping it? As in foot directly off the side of the pedal? If so did your car have the footrest removed or do you have the worlds narrowest feet?

STI LIB 01-11-2013 08:32 AM

Hey guys, just wondering what the best launch technique would be in a liberty GTB that is tuned by STI? Would the standard STI clutch hold up to a few launches or should I be looking at upgrading when I get the verso done?

xr06t 01-11-2013 10:07 AM

i think it is safe to assume that everyone means dropping the clutch without trying to slip it, not literally 'sidestepping' it. I thought both would have the same effect either way?

REXXXED 01-11-2013 10:15 AM

STI Lib your clutch will be fine.
If and when it goes, upgrade it then. It's a clutch therefore just a consumable when launching/racing etc etc anyway.

Spektre 01-11-2013 10:21 AM

this thread make me laugh... all this shit about launching and shit and you have maybe a handful of guys on this forum that actually drive their car that warrant this technique..

launching for street cred? street racing? you fucking serious? get off the grass and actually come and do some motorsport so you get it out of your system and dont kill/injure people cause you wanted to be a hero...

you will also cause less damage to your car, hence a cheaper car to get from A to B

RUSSGT 01-11-2013 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally;776639]Russ, I'm not disputing that you launched it hard. But were you really sidestepping it? As in foot directly off the side of the pedal? If so did your car have the footrest removed or do you have the worlds narrowest feet?[/QUOTE]

No but dropped the clutch. I dont advocate my way of driving! Im sure its bad? I loved it and had no problems though.

Tony 01-11-2013 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Spektre;776684]this thread make me laugh... all this shit about launching and shit and you have maybe a handful of guys on this forum that actually drive their car that warrant this technique..

launching for street cred? street racing? you fucking serious? get off the grass and actually come and do some motorsport so you get it out of your system and dont kill/injure people cause you wanted to be a hero...

you will also cause less damage to your car, hence a cheaper car to get from A to B[/QUOTE]

Get of your throne bud. Im tryin to get a few tips on technique so when i roll up at WAW, no limits etc im not sitting their launching my car the wong way and causing unessasary damage. Yes i understand clutchs are consumables etc. It would also be nice to know what im doing before thise night so im not the laughing stock of your purple circle. Sorry for wanting to better my driving.

Spektre 01-11-2013 06:48 PM

You need to start hanging around a different crew if you get laughed at for learning. If you want to learn, sweet. Go and learn. Ask for help. I'll gladly come and help you with my limited knowledge.

Just fyi, I am not in, nor ever had a purple circle. I wanted to learn how to drive fast, steer and peddle so I spent the money to learn in the right environments...

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

dtrally 01-11-2013 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=STI LIB;776666]Hey guys, just wondering what the best launch technique would be in a liberty GTB that is tuned by STI? Would the standard STI clutch hold up to a few launches or should I be looking at upgrading when I get the verso done?[/QUOTE]

The Liberty GT and Liberty STi with 6 speed manual all have the smaller 5 speed size clutch for some unknown reason. They are notorious for stinking up when launched hard. They come good again when they cool but the 'gone off prawn smell' will last for days.

All 6 speed manual LGT and WRX STi have a valve on the clutch slave cylinder that limits the return rate of the fluid, so dump, sidestep do whatever you like, the clutch will only engage at a certain (slightly dampened) rate.

GTB Liberty 01-11-2013 11:09 PM

[QUOTE=dtrally;776776]The Liberty GT and Liberty STi with 6 speed manual all have the smaller 5 speed size clutch for some unknown reason. They are notorious for stinking up when launched hard. They come good again when they cool but the 'gone off prawn smell' will last for days.

All 6 speed manual LGT and WRX STi have a valve on the clutch slave cylinder that limits the return rate of the fluid, so dump, sidestep do whatever you like, the clutch will only engage at a certain (slightly dampened) rate.[/QUOTE]

Oh now you know :rolleyes: Copyright GTB Liberty Guinea Pig ;)

So you go and get a Sti diameter clutch, bigger fly wheel and play with the big boys.

Is the valve adjustable Doug?

type25 01-11-2013 11:57 PM

[QUOTE=GTB Liberty;776777]

Is the valve adjustable Doug?[/QUOTE]

fit a STI Spec C slave cylinder.

STI LIB 02-11-2013 04:20 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally;776776]The Liberty GT and Liberty STi with 6 speed manual all have the smaller 5 speed size clutch for some unknown reason. They are notorious for stinking up when launched hard. They come good again when they cool but the 'gone off prawn smell' will last for days.

All 6 speed manual LGT and WRX STi have a valve on the clutch slave cylinder that limits the return rate of the fluid, so dump, sidestep do whatever you like, the clutch will only engage at a certain (slightly dampened) rate.[/QUOTE]

Yea found that out tonight after having a crack. Car hooked up well & took off but I had that dreaded clutch burning smell for a while afterward :/

RoughStilin 02-11-2013 07:38 AM

If this has already been said, then disregard.

The clutch smell you speak of is a good thing in a sense. If you start loading up 6k and then side stepping, especially on a prepped track, the clutch is the weakest link & is designed to let slip, due to the remainder of the drivetrain being relatively weak, or prone to breaking.

Be careful if you do 6k launches now, if you want more off the line grip, you will need a better clutch, then you will start stripping gears or snapping shafts. If your car has a 6 speed & R180 gear, disregard the above, but you can still break them.

On a properly prepped track it is actually difficult to walk over the starting area, due to the chemicals used to aid in traction that they apply to the track surface. All these weak links of the car & chemicals on the ground can be a recipie for disaster, disappointment & sometimes tears,

Be careful

Avalanche 02-11-2013 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=DukeDrifter;776226]I thought you wanted a little bit of wheel spin so that the load is reduced ?

6k usually works fine in my old one and the new, only thing is consistently getting the release smooth enough to not bog down.

RJ my thoughts on lc is that it's just a rev limit so you can floor the happy pedal and only worry about the clutch.[/QUOTE]

Till you're motor goes bang right?

VUSSUTE 02-11-2013 08:17 AM

I'm too scared of launching in my 5 speed version 6... Heard to many horror stories. The only time I ever tried resulted in lots of clutch smoke and a slipping clutch lol

STI LIB 02-11-2013 10:55 AM

Does the liberty GTB have R180?