Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Rs intercooler question (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/57452-rs-intercooler-question.html)

amtrapid 11-02-2014 07:33 PM

Rs intercooler question

Hey Ppl ,
Im pulling the motor and box out of the Rs clutch is slipping in 3rd so going to give one of the stage 2 Competition clutches from Vision R a go heard good feedback from several people , do my timing belt and idlers water pump check the oil pump is still all good, not coming loose and just give the motor and box a general freshen up . New silicone hoses , knuckle for shifter linkage rear main etc. Kind of spewing about my waterless coolant but managed to save 90% of it when I emptied the cooling system and the extra in my water to air cooler will make 110%.
Any how speaking of coolers while the motor is out I'm thinking of finally ditching the RS WTAIC setup. Im running 97 wrx heads on the rs closed deck with a 97 gearbox rear diff and ECU. Ive decided on a PFC and while the motors out im trying to get a vf23/24 and look at an injector up grade.
The car is driven regularly and I'm doing hillclimbs and track work with it . been thinking of a front mount due to me not liking bonnet scoops for the attention factor (I'm running a GX bonnet).
Is anyone using the empire performance front mounts as Im leaning towards a gc8 kit and modding it to fit the rs I can paint the intercooler black do a neat install and I still have my sleeper look.

Mainly look at one due to the cost and the fact I'm not chasing massive numbers or am I better off for my mods using an aftermarket top mount and looking at biting the bullet and going back to my RS bonnet.

I know and have experience with the brand name kits , but haven't had any with Empire as a brand . Anyone using their gear and feedback appreciated.

cheers :D

Rossco 11-02-2014 08:35 PM

Hi Bud,

Are you aware that the Liberty/legacy RS water to air system is good for up to about 220kw?

Save the added lag of the front mount and stay with the WAIC.

amtrapid 11-02-2014 10:23 PM

Really that's awesome didn't know it was quite that efficient. Always thought it was more like 180 kw or so .
Thats great ill defiantly stick with it then, just wanted to be safe once I get it tuned with the PFC , vf23/24 and injectors but don't expect to get near 220kw cheers for that . definitely don't need any extra lag lol

cheers:D

illrhymes 12-02-2014 09:32 AM

With those mods and turbo choice...I say It's borderline.
Don't write off the early WAIC's though. Very efficient

scary 12-02-2014 03:54 PM

I would replace the water pump to the WAIC as the flow rate drops off with age.

And with those mods you are miles away from worrying about the stock setup.

My old RS ran low to mid 12's everyday with the std IC.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

levans 12-02-2014 04:16 PM

Just to add, the RS waic is pretty efficient till it gets a bit of heat soak. If you are thinking about upgrading the electric pump on the system, just remember that a higher flow rate does not mean lower intake temps. All you are doing is pushing the water through the front radiator quicker giving it less time to cool down. The standard pump has a high and low stage which is controlled via the standard ECU. If you change to a PFC the pump will only run at the slower speed. You can do a simple mod to make the pump run on the higher speed all the time. (search the RSLC forum) Also try running Redline water wetter to lower temps.

amtrapid 12-02-2014 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=scary;787444]I would replace the water pump to the WAIC as the flow rate drops off with age.

And with those mods you are miles away from worrying about the stock setup.

My old RS ran low to mid 12's everyday with the std IC.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app[/QUOTE]

did the pump already mate cheers:)

levans 12-02-2014 04:26 PM

If you don't mind being cold in winter, connect waics to heater core for extreme cooling! :cool:

amtrapid 12-02-2014 04:30 PM

[QUOTE=levans;787450]Just to add, the RS waic is pretty efficient till it gets a bit of heat soak. If you are thinking about upgrading the electric pump on the system, just remember that a higher flow rate does not mean lower intake temps. All you are doing is pushing the water through the front radiator quicker giving it less time to cool down. The standard pump has a high and low stage which is controlled via the standard ECU. If you change to a PFC the pump will only run at the slower speed. You can do a simple mod to make the pump run on the higher speed all the time. (search the RSLC forum) Also try running Redline water wetter to lower temps.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've already done the mod to the pump as I'm running WRX ecu ATM I use waterless coolant in the intercooler and engine massive drop in temps but it aint cheap. I have a speed controller I made from a kit at jaycar for th pump and I run it at 75% seems to have the best overall effect at that flow rate.

I Think I might be pushing the limits buy the time Im done since its been off the road for 2 days it went from clutch and freshen up gaskets seals timing belt and water pump to now looking at VF29 ,Bought some yellow tops, new headers and up pipe , PFC and now I'm contemplating Some STI heads, arp head studs and cometic gaskets oh and ordered a cosworth oil pump lol:wav:

Im just waiting to be sent outside to sleep with the dog when my wife sees the bank account lol That Fuji Heavy Industries Leprechaun has been dry humping my wallet lmao:D

Rossco 12-02-2014 05:41 PM

That VF29 is good for about 240hp (approx. 180kw) at the hubs with Sti cams & heads.

Don't order that Cosworth oil pump......Order this from [url=http://www.realstreetperformance.com]Welcome Label - Real Street Performance[/url]

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/150836_488279820072_2560253_n.jpg[/IMG]

It's the Dual AVCS high volume pump.