Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Changing religions . . .WRX to EVO (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/57623-changing-religions-wrx-evo.html)

ALLPAWS 28-02-2014 09:09 AM

Changing religions . . .WRX to EVO

Contemplating going from my modded Bugeye to a modded EVO as they have a better reputation as being faster and more reliable. Any one wish to talk me out of going to the other side? :D

DukeDrifter 28-02-2014 09:14 AM

Sound like arse, don't have much character. Rather tinny on the inside.

But are fast.

Strubaru 28-02-2014 09:27 AM

everything is alot lighter & flimsier in the evo's, but that makes for a very quick car once you smash some boost & get 3-400hp atw

i picked an old one up recently (gsr body with full evo 3 conversion) i haven't driven it yet as it needed quite a bit of work :rolleyes: one of the things was the rear subframe had torn :eek: too many launchy mcfarken's from previous owners me thinks, but yeah removed it last night & the thing is so lightweight/thin/weak compared to say a subaru rear cradle that feels like it weighs twice as much

so yeah you may not blow gearboxes or spin bearings quite as easily, but other area's will cop the brunt of the power

here's a pic
[URL=http://s577.photobucket.com/user/strubaru/media/evo/21_zps24057810.jpg.html][IMG]http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss216/strubaru/evo/21_zps24057810.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

p.s. anyone got a rear cradle from an evo 3 for sale? LOL

rubasu 28-02-2014 09:29 AM

Fuel stops every 5 minutes in an Evo!

Saint_23 28-02-2014 09:35 AM

Drive one. If you like it, drive an equivalent model WRX/STi, then make your choice.

fatboy 28-02-2014 09:38 AM

Having owned an evo x I would never buy a Subaru again, they both have shit interiors but the big difference is how they drive.

Really, when you drive the evo you will find that the Subaru is found wanting!

And yes I am a Subaru guy, so there is no bias towards the Mitsubishi

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

American Dave 28-02-2014 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Strubaru;789465]i picked an old one up recently (gsr body with full evo 3 conversion) i haven't driven it yet as it needed quite a bit of work :rolleyes: one of the things was the rear subframe had torn :eek: too many launchy mcfarken's from previous owners me thinks, but yeah removed it last night & the thing is so lightweight/thin/weak compared to say a subaru rear cradle that feels like it weighs twice as much
[/QUOTE]

LOL when you said picked up you meant the previous owner abandoned it on your front verge right Chris :p:D

Strubaru 28-02-2014 10:32 AM

kinda... LOL you know the full story :la:

Toohey 28-02-2014 10:03 PM

price may be one. Evos seem to hold their price or asking price better than a wrx...

forde 28-02-2014 10:50 PM

gtr?

zskarz 28-02-2014 11:07 PM

comparing models I would stick with subaru until evo 7,8 and 9 then it becomes personal preference (turbo lag, ride comfort, performance are all factors). I would take an evo 10 over a 2010-2012 wrx Sti any day, sadly. The AWD system is a lot better in my opinion with that model. Although I like the look of the wide body Sti's more than the evo X :)

drewgong 01-03-2014 08:53 AM

tried an evo 9 (300whp) when i baught the subie. fell in love with it insantly.. the pull and sound on boost was awesome, but off boost it sounded like shit and felt like an excel. droney zorst was also yuk. firmer ride and more steering wheel feedback, way better 360 degree vision in the evo. felt race car straight out the box.. took the subie in the end for more usealble power/bottom end, sounded awesome, and it seemend like it would be easier to live with as a daily as nothing really annoyed me. was also less modified so suited me for a base better. if you just want to be the fastest the evo is the go, but 90 % of the time the rex will keep up. another factor for me was evo 87,000km whereas the sti was 33,000km's. still looking at win win mate

Yorkie 01-03-2014 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The interior is shocking inside the Evo's. it is just so cheap and hideous I don't think I could ever drive in one, plus no bonnet scoop to look over as you're driving...for me a big part of the driving experience is how special the car feels sitting inside it and the Evo doesn't feel or look special like the Subi does to me. And the Subi isn't exactly beautiful inside either, but you can atleast make it look decent...!

As for the handling and performance side the Evo almost makes up for it, but much more pricey and I just don't think it's as practical day to day as the Subi.

But I'm pretty bias and not a total expert.

Here's all you need to know though:

[ATTACH]12276[/ATTACH]

CDR RA 01-03-2014 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=Strubaru;789465]everything is alot lighter & flimsier in the evo's[/QUOTE]

You are kidding right ? Maybe on the evo III but try comparing similar era evo VI to a gc8 and there is no comparison. Much more robust suspension components, much more rigid chassis. Try jacking a gc8 from the front jacking point behind the front wheel and see how long it takes for the rear wheel to get off the ground after the front wheel...and then try opening and closing a door. Sooooo much flex. Evo is much more rigid....and then there is factory twin scroll, front mount, bullet proof engine.... Etc etc.

General thought seems to be for a nice daily a Subaru is a nicer place to be. For all out performance and bang for buck, you can't beat an evo. Have had both and would always choose evo if I wanted to go fast.

astralex 01-03-2014 01:41 PM

It says Lancer on the back, just like my sisters car... That's all I need to know.

DukeDrifter 01-03-2014 01:51 PM

I'm with Forde, straight 6 twin turbo awd goodness.

BLUES 01-03-2014 03:00 PM

If you like understeer, go with the WRX.

If you like getting beaten at the track, buy a WRX.

If you like spending bulk coin to go faster than a lightly modified EVO, buy a WRX.

DukeDrifter 01-03-2014 03:21 PM

If you can't drive you'll lose in both.

teejay 01-03-2014 03:58 PM

Fred and Blaise are both very competent peddlers.

teejay 01-03-2014 03:59 PM

A GD also has a shit interior - really, its not a selling point. Too cramped for anyone large too.

Yorkie 01-03-2014 04:05 PM

I'm 6'5 and I fit comfortably in my rexy!

DukeDrifter 01-03-2014 04:06 PM

Not disputing what they are saying, more to the point by a car because you like it not because it's a second or two a lap quicker then the other option.

Unless you're competing for wins it's rather irrelevant which is faster.

Drive and Evo if you like it more then an Sti it's simple, if you don't buy the car you like more.

DukeDrifter 01-03-2014 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=teejay;789747]A GD also has a shit interior - really, its not a selling point. Too cramped for anyone large too.[/QUOTE]

Who buys and Sti/Evo for interior ?

I fit comfortably in my Sti and I'm not a small human.

Yorkie 01-03-2014 04:12 PM

It's got to come down to which one puts the biggest smile on your face and for what reason you want to buy it I suppose. I personally wouldn't touch an Evo for a daily, but it's probably great on the track...

teejay 01-03-2014 04:54 PM

I drove an 02 the other day and it was woeful for driver room.

fatboy 01-03-2014 05:00 PM

Why don't we all admit the truth, the main reason you buy a wrx over an evo is purely because you can't afford the evo......

2001 bugeye..... $9000
2001 evo 7 ........$20k+

DukeDrifter 01-03-2014 05:35 PM

I purchased an 05 Sti over an Evo 9 and I had been pre approved for both.....

STI325V6 01-03-2014 05:57 PM

The Evo's are over priced, look at car sales!!

Yorkie 01-03-2014 06:14 PM

There's idiots on car sales who want 35-40,000 for a 2006 Evo, I could get a new Sti for that!

ALLPAWS 01-03-2014 06:17 PM

Wow, lotsa opinions all relevant and mostly correct. From inspection of said evo I can say overall build quality is behind subaru but this particular EVO felt very fast and I felt comfortable with it straight away.

[url=http://www.performancewest.com.au/listing/2005-mitsubishi-lancer-cy-evolution-ix/]2005 MITSUBISHI LANCER CY EVOLUTION IX - Performance West - Performance West[/url]

I do track days and am quite handy behind the wheel. My g/f and I are quite fit so getting in and out is no problem and the dog can still go in the back when required :)

DukeDrifter 01-03-2014 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=ALLPAWS;789767]Wow, lotsa opinions all relevant and mostly correct. From inspection of said evo I can say overall build quality is behind subaru but this particular EVO felt very fast and I felt comfortable with it straight away.

[url=http://www.performancewest.com.au/listing/2005-mitsubishi-lancer-cy-evolution-ix/]2005 MITSUBISHI LANCER CY EVOLUTION IX - Performance West - Performance West[/url]

I do track days and am quite handy behind the wheel. My g/f and I are quite fit so getting in and out is no problem and the dog can still go in the back when required :)[/QUOTE]

My boss has a low km IX in awesome condition be lucky to be driven once a week for the last 2-3 years, good quality mods and wants less then the above. Its for sale for personal reason's.

PM if you want some more details on it.

ALLPAWS 01-03-2014 06:31 PM

I do love my Subi but it needs quite a bit of cash and time to get it where I want it to be and I have already forked out quite a bit on it. Its in great condition, stops and handles brilliantly but is down in power. Will possibly be up for sale soon if I get the EVO IX.

[url=http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/members/allpaws-albums-my+clean+bug.html]Perth-WRX.com - ALLPAWS's Album: My clean Bug[/url]

RUSSGT 01-03-2014 06:36 PM

In my opinion, the evo is a better faster car, with more potential. But the sti is the real driver. The lack of yaw control makes the car less stable and therefore more of a driver car. The evo can make any idiot look good at driving. But in my opinion that's not driving.

RichX 01-03-2014 09:40 PM

Anyone gone from an sti 6 speed to the evo 5 speed?

BLUES 02-03-2014 12:22 AM

Yep

fatboy 02-03-2014 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=RichX;789781]Anyone gone from an sti 6 speed to the evo 5 speed?[/QUOTE]

I drive a Holden/HSV as my everyday car with a 6 speed, when I jumped into our evo x (that I virtually never got to drive) I used to go for 6th gear on the highway,

The grinding noise scared the shit out of me every time!

scary 02-03-2014 11:13 AM

You are comparing your bug eye (1st of a series) with an Evo IX (last of the series)
Go and drive an 05STi -07STi to at least give it a fair comparison.

EVO makes easy power but I'm sorry they don't go around corners as well.

Weekend safe Motorsport? Buy the Evo, the power will allow you to slow down around the corners rather than driving the best out of the car to get the results.

Kinda like an R35 before the R35 came along.

ALLPAWS 02-03-2014 01:15 PM

Haven't seen a comparable STi for sale, GT-Rs are getting a bit old and are pricer to keep going. Its going to be a lot easier to buy this EVO as they do finance and are going to trade one of my motorcycles that I don't want anymore. If the budget was higher . .

[url]http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Subaru-Impreza-2005/SSE-AD-2053803/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1[/url]

ALLPAWS 10-03-2014 11:41 PM

Decided not to be a turn-coat and have done a deal on a demo RS 40 limited edition WRX. I will slowly improve it over several years. Have 4 weeks to sell my bugeye or it will be traded.

JDM_STYLE 11-03-2014 01:08 AM

Should have bought an EVO or atleast a certain S204 instead ;) hahaha :)