Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Subaru lagging behind? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/62222-subaru-lagging-behind.html)

Zombee 13-07-2015 08:49 PM

Subaru lagging behind?

G'day all,
I generally change my cars every 3 years, and I've had my current MY11 STI for more than 3 years now, so I'm getting itchy.
I've pretty much just gone and got the latest WRX/STI. This is my 5th Rex.
But this is the first time that I'm baulking at the latest STI. I don't think it's worth me upgrading to it.
For the first time I'm looking at what else is out there.
A mate of mine just bought a new Golf R and I'm not usually a fan of the Golf's, but fark me this thing was fantastic! It's as bland looking as all shit, but the drive was impressive!
Also, the new Focus RS is coming and the current supercharged HSV GTS looks impressive too (more $$ I know).
Then there's the AMG A45/CLA45, the incoming Audi RS3.. and so on
I really think Subaru have started to fall behind..
I do hope the next STI is great, because I really think it needs to be.
What do you guys think? Has Subaru dropped the ball?
And what do you guys think of the Golf R DSG?

Sammy82 13-07-2015 09:34 PM

Yeh I have to agree in some respects. The DSG gearbox was a bit of an issue from 2006-2010 but they've seem to have sorted things out now. I reckon if wanting an AWD car these days, for the price, you can't go past the upcoming focus RS. Otherwise I would be getting the new Audi S3.

RWD, can't go past a used C63...

wrx oh oh 13-07-2015 09:36 PM

Yes, but, once you allow for reliability, your opinion of VW v Subaru may change.

waggaclint 13-07-2015 10:54 PM

I think it's only a matter time before a updated STi is released with the newer 2.0l motor fitted, but if was in market I'd be waiting a bit longer for the Focus RS to arrive..

mARC 13-07-2015 11:06 PM

MY14 or wait for MY15 GTR Skyline and end this?

ratpack 14-07-2015 08:26 AM

Not many Focus RS's coming by the sounds of it. Spoke to a someone at Titan Ford, 2 coming, and both sold for $20k over list

nauli 14-07-2015 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=ratpack;826713]Not many Focus RS's coming by the sounds of it. Spoke to a someone at Titan Ford, 2 coming, and both sold for $20k over list[/QUOTE]

Untrue...none have yet been allocated and nor has a price...he's pulling your toggle...

nick73 14-07-2015 02:28 PM

Wait for the 2.0 STi or the Focus.

ALLPAWS 14-07-2015 02:45 PM

If budget allows I have the Audi S3 or RS3 in my sights as my next ride.
Yes it's basically a vw golf r underneath but I also find the looks underwhelming
Of the golf.

Zombee 14-07-2015 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=nauli;826737]Untrue...none have yet been allocated and nor has a price...he's pulling your toggle...[/QUOTE]

Would have to agree with Nauli on this. I can't get squat out of my Ford dealer and have also registered for updates on the new RS from Ford Aus with no new updates yet.

I'm seriously considering putting a blind deposit down on the RS...

nauli 15-07-2015 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=Zombee;826766]Would have to agree with Nauli on this. I can't get squat out of my Ford dealer and have also registered for updates on the new RS from Ford Aus with no new updates yet.

I'm seriously considering putting a blind deposit down on the RS...[/QUOTE]

Dom, if you do, beware of dealers who ramp up the pre-delivery charge or won't give you a solid pre-delivery figure...one un-named dealer admitted to me that they ramp it up for limited supply cars like this so they can virtually "auction" to the highest bidder. I have put a deposit down, but obviously not with that particular dealership.

Skdtme 15-07-2015 06:51 PM

If i had my choice i would have gone GTR but my wife said they looked ugly and wouldn't be seen in one. Got an my15 sti im happy with it over all. Dont like the navigation system in it. Or the under steer or the missing paint from some fuck wits door. Other wise happy as Larry with it.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

nauli 16-07-2015 07:33 AM

Ummm...GTR is a completely different ball park in all respects...

VUSSUTE 16-07-2015 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know straight line speed isnt everything, but acceleration was one of the STi's strong points.
I have taken a photo from a motor magazine I have from 2000. It was the Version VI STi Vs the 300kw HSV GTS.

The acceleration times where as follows

[B]HSV / STi[/B]

[B] 0-100kph:[/B] 5.81 / 5.14

[B]400m:[/B] 13.99 @ 168 / 13.56 @ 166.9

(attached pic for reference

As you can see, 15 years ago, the STi was a significantly quicker car than even the fastest HSV had on offer (and from memory, this run was one of the best runs they got out of one).

Turn the clock forward 15 years and the GTS has been given, much bigger brakes, much much better suspension and over 140kw extra power!!!
The sti has gotten 14 extra Kws.

The current GTS is doing very low 12 second quarters and mid 4 second 0-100 kph times, and well, the STi is still pulling equal, if not slower times than the 2000 model version VI.
Im pretty sure last years model STi only managed a 14 second pass.

Its pretty sad really.

spider 20-07-2015 02:29 PM

[QUOTE=Zombee;826690]G'day all,
I generally change my cars every 3 years, and I've had my current MY11 STI for more than 3 years now, so I'm getting itchy.
I've pretty much just gone and got the latest WRX/STI. This is my 5th Rex.
But this is the first time that I'm baulking at the latest STI. I don't think it's worth me upgrading to it.
For the first time I'm looking at what else is out there.
A mate of mine just bought a new Golf R and I'm not usually a fan of the Golf's, but fark me this thing was fantastic! It's as bland looking as all shit, but the drive was impressive!
Also, the new Focus RS is coming and the current supercharged HSV GTS looks impressive too (more $$ I know).
Then there's the AMG A45/CLA45, the incoming Audi RS3.. and so on
I really think Subaru have started to fall behind..
I do hope the next STI is great, because I really think it needs to be.
What do you guys think? Has Subaru dropped the ball?
And what do you guys think of the Golf R DSG?[/QUOTE]

Mate..you are in the exact same boat I was in 9 months ago. I was so close to getting an MY15 STi and also looked at the other cars you mentioned but ended up getting the GTS - I still have a grin from ear to ear every time I drive it!

Subaru is definitely falling behind..if I was in your shoes I would wait for the new Focus RS, A45 AMG or of course the HSV. News from the HSV forums is that all HSV lineup next year will be supercharged with the LSA engine (currently only the GTS is supercharged but next year the Clubsport and Maloo Utes will have it) so this is definitely worth the consideration.

Anyway, great position to be in when you're car shopping and have so many choices to decide on..good luck.

MrScience 22-07-2015 01:54 PM

[QUOTE=wrx oh oh;826697]Yes, but, once you allow for reliability, your opinion of VW v Subaru may change.[/QUOTE]
Are Subarus inherently more reliable or are us owners just generally a little more obsessed with proper maintenance?

Still wouldn't buy a VW, especially if i were living in the US where a good deal of their stock is built in Mexico.

I'd probably stick with Subaru unless my pay grade had a huuuuge jump.

npagz 22-07-2015 02:44 PM

Why don't you just put it off until the STI gets the FA motor?

BOMB3R 22-07-2015 04:18 PM

Go and drive an A45, you will forget about all others!

nauli 23-07-2015 07:02 AM

[QUOTE=BOMB3R;827156]Go and drive an A45, you will forget about all others![/QUOTE]

Yes, but again, another price bracket completely....at almost twice the price they should be good...I would consider one (hatch) if I had the money...

Zombee 23-07-2015 12:46 PM

Cheers for the feedback chaps,

I have scratched the Golf R from the list as it's just to boring to look at, and I'm concerned by some of the info on the forums about reliability.

I'm narrowing it down to the Focus RS, the HSV GTS or the A45/CLA45 AMG.

The desire for each changes daily, but today its a black HSV GTS. The new commodores have come a LONG way from the old Falcodores of old.

Then again, ask me tomorrow... the white A45 looks sweet too..

mitchwnz 23-07-2015 04:43 PM

Interested to see how this pans out. The HSV is a very different car to the Focus and the A45.. I had the same opinion after owning an MY11 STI as well.

Brodz 23-07-2015 08:39 PM

I just came from the Holden camp. I can't stand those inbred bogans.

Zombee 27-07-2015 09:48 PM

I didn't even think about this before, but what do you guys think of the new WRX?? I didn't even think about it as I usually only consider the STI.

The MY16 has just been released and comes with 18 wheels finally and a several new goodies.

It has the new engine and is supposed to be a ripper.

What do you reckon?

Master D 28-07-2015 12:56 AM

If i had 45k to blow a premium manual blue wrx with sti spoiler would be my pick.
New engine, new chassis new everything.
Yes please :-)

waggaclint 28-07-2015 11:33 AM

The new WRX sounds like a good thing but as years go buy subaru hasn't really done much with it, it's still the same price but it hasn't got any faster, 0-100 times are actually down on the previous model, it's a pity they don't have any direct competion in that price bracket to push em along...

It may be a bit of Bogan car but I'll be looking at getting the VFII thats coming soon, the SS variants will come with the newer 304kw L99 6.2l engine, for a bigger car they should be fun to drive with a manual box..

VUSSUTE 28-07-2015 05:08 PM

The commodore has come along way.
I drove my mates VF SS Commodore... im really surprised how well it handles, stops and accelerates...... especially for a 1800kg car...
I hate saying this, but i think its definitely out done the WRX in the handling stakes...
*waits for the fire*

Bram 30-07-2015 07:07 AM

[QUOTE=VUSSUTE;827584]The commodore has come along way.
I drove my mates VF SS Commodore... im really surprised how well it handles, stops and accelerates...... especially for a 1800kg car...
I hate saying this, but i think its definitely out done the WRX in the handling stakes...
*waits for the fire*[/QUOTE]

tell him to bring it to RAC next month.

waggaclint 30-07-2015 08:17 AM

The new Mustang could also be worth a good look, if ya not needing 4-Doors..

Master D 30-07-2015 09:57 AM

Buy a BRZ and throw 2.4L V8 in it.
will be the same price as WRX when finished but will be good fun and can do burnouts.

also 12,000RPM in a V8 is cool.

Sharpy.au 31-07-2015 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=Master D;827663]Buy a BRZ and throw 2.4L V8 in it.
will be the same price as WRX when finished but will be good fun and can do burnouts.

also 12,000RPM in a V8 is cool.[/QUOTE]

If you're referring to a Synergy or Hartley, you won't get much change (if any) out of $50k for the motor alone, let alone the rest of the gear required for a conversion.

Zombee 13-08-2015 07:36 AM

OK, so I couldn't stop thinking about it so I went and test drove a Golf R. Even though I said I wouldn't.

Here's my thoughts;

Looking at the car, it is is understated, but at the same time it has subtle a aggression to it. It is stealth. No one will know its potential except those who are into cars.

The interior is superb, hands down craps all over Subaru, but then again VW does own Audi, which are the interior benchmarkers.

It has all the usual, sat nov, rv camera, sensors etc etc..

Seats are good, not Recaro good, but good nonetheless.

It has different drive modes ranging from dull to race. Each mode varies things like throttle response, steering response and damper settings.

Putting it into race mode is a noticeable difference in the car, the revs instantly shoot up to keep you in the power band and everything hardens up. They even have plumbed a race exhaust sound through a speaker hidden in the car. It's artificial, but at the same time quite good, I like it. Some wont.

Now for the drive.

I honestly think there is one sole reason why this car is raved about. The DSG gearbox. It is superb. The engine is good, but I think the speed is generated from the rapid fire DSG.

The handling is OK. It was still good, but even in race mode there was noticeable body roll compared to my 2011 STI (which has stock suspension) and it just wasn't as sharp.

In my opinion, the Golf R is a brilliant all round daily drive car. It has enough go to match 95% of the cars on the road and grip to boot.

It just doesn't have any mongrel in it. It's too clinical, almost boring. For some this is all you need, get in, and go. Done. For others, it will just be mundanely good. Maybe a tune would make it more mongrel, I have heard of tune only cars getting 280+kw. This would be impressive.

All in all, I was impressed, I could live with one yes, but it would have to be tuned, mongrel tuned.

Jezza 13-08-2015 09:14 AM

Race exhaust sounds played in cabin = hard gay

Have manufacturers ever used anything like a Varex system from factory? That'd be a worthy addition.

Zombee 13-08-2015 09:46 AM

HSV and AMG have valve actuated exhausts, as do others. Not sure why the R doesn't, maybe it's part of the 'stealth' look. No more noise on the outside to annoy others, but the driver can hear a racy sound.

I agree, the concept of artificial exhaust sounds is crap, but in the car it did actually sound quite good.

fatboy 13-08-2015 10:09 AM

If you are keen to look at a GTS i am a senior manager at an HSV dealer....

I am not biased towards HSV as i am on a Subaru forum, but you won't get a better/ faster car for under $150k....

SolarFilms 13-08-2015 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=fatboy;828400]but you won't get a better/ faster car for under $150k....[/QUOTE]

Used gee tee argh 35?

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Damo69 13-08-2015 12:21 PM

opened a can of worms as i could say i would build a datsun ute with a 500 cube V8 in it

but i dare say he means new off the show room floor

shaunus 13-08-2015 12:35 PM

There's something about the new GTS I cant get my head around... maybe the fact they look like the fat sister of an AMG....In saying that, my neighbor's got one...I'd own it :D

nick73 13-08-2015 01:14 PM

Dude I lived in Kal. Fat chicks rock!

McRooster 16-08-2015 03:09 AM

[QUOTE=fatboy;828400]I am not biased towards HSV as i am on a Subaru forum, but you won't get a better/ faster car for under $150k....[/QUOTE]

How reliable are they though.

Kremer930 16-08-2015 07:20 AM

I quite like the latest supercharged HSVs but is the power really all that usable? Limited traction and high kerb weight means that it is only in its element in long open spaces.