Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 12:15 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Twb1979 at standard level
Default Skippy 1 Scooby 0

In the early hours of Thursday morning I was travelling back towards our family property in West Toodyay after finishing a late shift at work in Joondalup.

Whilst travelling on the Chittering road near the Julimar road turn-off I was confronted with a large roo on my passenger side travelling at full flight.

A collision was unavoidable and the only avoidance manoeuvre I could do was to 'flick' the car to the right to try to avoid a head-on impact.

Fortunately, the kangaroo impacted the front fender and then bounced down the passenger side of the car, the roo was so close to coming through the front windscreen it left claw marks on the bonnet near the scoop.

Obviously, the car sustained heavy damage to primarily the passenger side and fortunately, although shaken, I managed to walk away and drive the remaining few kilometres to our property.

I guess the reason behind this post is just act as a reminder just to slow down and drive to the conditions especially on country roads at night, had I been travelling any faster the end result would of undoubtedly been a high speed front end impact, with potentially the kangaroo coming thru the front windscreen.

I know we all share a similar interest but please guys and girls slow down and respect the roads and mother nature itself, as you never know what is waiting around the that next corner or further down the road. Lives can be shattered and destroyed in a matter of seconds.

Accidents like this don't discriminate they can happen to anybody, any place and anytime...I'm 36yrs and I'd consider myself a fairly seasoned and experienced driver with mainly thousands of kilometres experience driving high-powered cars such as WRX's, fortunately as it had been foggy on Neaves rd earlier in my journey, I was travelling under the posted speed limit for that stretch of tarmac. I've made this trip up thru the Chittering Valley dozens of times before and I know the roads well.

We might drive high-powered cars but this doesn't make us invincible, i'll never forget my accident and no doubt will continue to re-live it over in my mind for many years to come.

My beloved 2013 WRX hatch has sustained major damage primarily down the passenger side, which is expected to take several weeks to repair.

I've attached some images which really don't do the damage any justice as it looked far worse in the flesh.

Please guys/girls slow down.

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/attachme...1&d=1443883666

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/attachme...1&d=1443883772

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/attachme...1&d=1443883746

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/attachme...1&d=1443883756
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3049.JPG   IMG_3050.JPG   IMG_3053.JPG   IMG_3054.JPG  
The Following User Says Thank You to Twb1979 For This Useful Post:
TROLLEY (06-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Lou at standard level

Hey,
good to hear you came out of it unscathed and the car can always be repaired...you didn't mention what happened to the kangaroo ?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Twb1979 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Hey,
good to hear you came out of it unscathed and the car can always be repaired...you didn't mention what happened to the kangaroo ?
I stopped about 150m down the road to inspect the damage and then spun back around to check on the welfare of the kangaroo, which to my relief was nowhere to be seen, so presumably he'd just continued on his merry way albeit a bit sore.

They really are an unpredictable animal that commands respect.

Car will no doubt be fine, it's just the inconvenience of losing it for 2-3 weeks.

Tags
scooby, skippy