Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/)
-   -   Hey guys (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/24721-hey-guys.html)

EVL WRX 06-02-2009 10:51 AM

lol what? it proves that with good tuning it is achievable with a stock 207. Yes it's cheaper if you can tune and dyno yourself, but we aren't discussing the costs, just the ability to do it or not.

40psi of boost, again, all in the tune.

Jimmy S 06-02-2009 10:54 AM

stock bottom end anyway... but it is still acheivable with minimal mods!

EVL WRX 06-02-2009 11:01 AM

ok ya picky bastard, stock 207 BOTTOM END

Kato 06-02-2009 11:05 AM

Yeah but the old wives tale is these engines can only handle a max of 18psi. Any more and they are a hand grenade!

BOOM!

wrexxor 06-02-2009 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=Kato]Yeah but the old wives tale is these engines can only handle a max of 18psi. Any more and they are a hand grenade!

BOOM![/QUOTE]

Yeah these are the details I want to learn more about - cos obviously I want to be boosting it more than that. 25 to 30psi and with potentially reduced compression to compensate (if need be)

Kato 06-02-2009 11:56 AM

Get rid of the EJ255 then :D

wrexxor 06-02-2009 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave]welcome aboard Matt, hope you picked up a bargain! Plenty of info here if you dig a bit so the search function will be your friend. You must have plans if you are looking to get 400-500 hp ? 300ZX twin turbo too, have you had any electrical issues with it by chance?[/QUOTE]

Electrical issues? umm no, overheating yes. I pulled the engine a bit over 2 years ago, and still haven't got it back in yet (it should be going back into the engine bay within a fortnight). The cause was a stuffed bearing on one of the turbo's, obviously creating lots of backpressure on that bank. It was always overheating, so i'd be running the heater on max in the cabin with windows down in the peak of summer. The heat was terrible.

wrexxor 06-02-2009 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=Kato]Get rid of the EJ255 then :D[/QUOTE]

whats wrong with it? I'm under the impression it's almost identical to the EJ257

something about part numbers being the same

valves made from different material, and maybe forged pistons or something in the 257, not much else different? forget turbo or anything that isn't internal

EVL WRX 06-02-2009 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=wrexxor]whats wrong with it? I'm under the impression it's almost identical to the EJ257

something about part numbers being the same

[B]valves made from different material, and maybe forged pistons [/B] or something in the 257, not much else different? forget turbo or anything that isn't internal[/QUOTE]

That my friend is a HUUUUGE difference in strength/reliability...

Kato 06-02-2009 02:16 PM

Any 2.5L subaru will require work to the bores to make it strong enough to handle big hp (in my opinion anyway). Especially compared to the 'old' 2L blocks.

While it is out, may as well add cosworth everything to it too.