Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-08-2010, 09:17 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Dawn Patrol at standard level
Talking Hello hello

G'day
Before I start, there will be pics, they'll come soonish...
I've been lurking around here for a while, just researching and gathering information, and thought I'd say hi.
The other day I found myself a LOVELY my99 gc8.
It's in incredible condition, completely stock standard, not a single dent/scratch, and it was love at first sight.
I'm only 19, and this is my first sporty car, and my third car in total. This model wrx has been my dream car for a very long time.

I have a few queries. The first is, why the hell does the car keep giving me static shocks when I get out of it!!!
Also, my alarm system (it's an old laserline system, I'll check what model tomorrow), keeps draining the (brand new) battery to the point where I can't start the car...
And finally, when getting to around 70kmph, the air vents where people sometimes mount a gauge (right near the a-pillars) make a blowing sound which only started happening today. Just curious if it's a normal thing.

Anyway, totally stoked with the car. Every drive I take ends up with me wishing it was hours longer. There seems to be a world of wisdom around here, so hopefully I can learn as much as I can about my new ride
Old 13-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Hi mate, welcome to Perth-WRX

It's nice to finally get your dream car, congrats.

In regards to the alarm, I'd get it looked at... Someone like Macey at Westside Sound & Image in Cannington would be my first choice.

The static shocks are usually just the seats, it happens, just make sure u ground yourself..

And the vent, are you sure you didnt switch the vent to induction mode, rather than pressurise mode...
Old 13-08-2010, 09:39 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Cheers man.
Yeh I thought I should get the alarm looked at. Something I'd rather have working well...
By induction and pressurise mode, are you referring to the vent setting with the arrow coming into the car, and sliding across to the arrow swirling around the car?
I've tried both setting with no success, and spent some time fiddling with a variety of different combinations of settings.
Oh well, guess it gives me something to fiddle with when she gets her first clean tomorrow

Still amazed at the handling of the thing, considering my last car was an old 4runner...haha.
Old 13-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sayers at standard level

Re the sound near the mirror - a few years ago a triangular piece of rubber came off the strip around the door on my car. You can't see where it came from but I'm guessing it's why there's a bit of wind noise there now. (I think the window going up and down weakened it - maybe this is a common fault with the MY99 and hot WA summers?)
Old 13-08-2010, 10:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Champ at standard level

Welcome mate, looking forward to pics of that clean dream car of yours.

Like you say, pwrx-ipedia is a world of wisdom here
Old 13-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Welcome, could be the shoes or clothes you are wearing, leather & rubber soles are best and stay away from wearing nylon.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 13-08-2010, 11:46 PM
STI Master

MY99 at standard level

Welcome mate! Very nice choice for a first sports car, if I may say so myself

Are you sure that the blowing sound is coming from the vent? My '99 made a similar sound as the rubber surround wouldn't seal the window properly (at the corner of the triangular part mentioned by Sayers) mainly after the window was left open for longer periods. I always tried to press the seal back into place after leaving the window down.nI've noticed that they've fixed this on the later models by making the rubber surround straight.

Regarding the electric shock: I know exactly what you mean. I was always convinced that something wasn't grounded properly but I could never find the cause.
Old 14-08-2010, 07:06 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Champ at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
I have a few queries. The first is, why the hell does the car keep giving me static shocks when I get out of it!!!
I used to get alot of shocks too, found that I could eliminate these shocks by holding onto the doorframe or car body/roof before put my foot down. I subconsciously do it now, so no more shocks except when I'm in a rush
Old 14-08-2010, 07:37 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Dr_Rock at standard level
Default Hello

My first subi was around that vintage, I know exactly how you feel.
Many congratulations on getting the best looking WRX with the best seats too. I wish I still had mine.
Where are the promised pics?
Plans for more power?
I thought the Brant keypad alarms were a free retro-fit for MY99, any truth in that?
Old 14-08-2010, 09:12 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Thanks for all the nice comments guys
Here are some pictures as promised. Decided against giving it a wash this morning, because it looks like more rain is on the way. Sorry about different sizes, using some crappy online file compressor/size changer.
Will take some more once the car is dry...
MY99, I was thinking it could be something to do with the window seal as well. Will give it a look today.
I changed the front seat floor mat late yesterday, and so far, it seems to have stopped the shockage.
Dr_Rock, i have no idea about the brant alarm fitting, but I don't really want a keypad, and from what I've read the system is more of a hassle than good...
And at this stage, no plans for more power. It's got a lot more than I could handle already. The only thing I'd eventually like to do, is get an exhaust so it sounds a little meaner.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0836.jpg   _DSC0838_2.jpg   _DSC0832_2.jpg   _DSC0834_2.jpg  

« hey guys | heeyyya »