Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2010, 08:06 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Discobay at standard level
Default Hello Perth!

Until someone at wrx.com.au mentioned this website I didn't know you existed! Great to find a local site with posts and links that I can relate to.

Bought my WRX in April from City Subaru (but I won't mention it if you don't) and do mostly the daily commute with school drop-off and pick-up. Haven't gone on a long drive yet but planning to go down south soon. Consequently getting 10.2L/100km according to the onboard computer.

Not too impressed with the standard car stereo and would dearly love to upgrade it but am wary of losing control from the steering wheel buttons. Any suggestions welcome.

Is it really necessary to use BP Ultimate 98RON or is 95RON just fine?
Old 27-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Subaru Tech Division

red dragon2002 at standard level

hello and welcome, lots of info on this site just remember to use the search button + don't sms talk and you won't get anal...

for the price of the two, id rather use 98 anyway its not that much price difference... not sure but i think if you read the car manual it will tell you 95 is fine, but i think thats what it said for the older rexys

nice collection of cars by the way
Old 27-10-2010, 08:17 PM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discobay View Post
Until someone at wrx.com.au mentioned this website I didn't know you existed! Great to find a local site with posts and links that I can relate to.

Bought my WRX in April from City Subaru (but I won't mention it if you don't) and do mostly the daily commute with school drop-off and pick-up. Haven't gone on a long drive yet but planning to go down south soon. Consequently getting 10.2L/100km according to the onboard computer.

Not too impressed with the standard car stereo and would dearly love to upgrade it but am wary of losing control from the steering wheel buttons. Any suggestions welcome.

Is it really necessary to use BP Ultimate 98RON or is 95RON just fine?
Welcome!

Hopefully you enjoy your WRX... with the stereo, if you're after better sound then you could swap out the speakers for better units. If it's the head unit you don't like then I have no idea if the steering wheel buttons work.

Fuel wise, if the car's manual says use 98RON then use it. If it doesn't then you can probably get away with 95, but 98 is just so much better than 95. Both the family cars I've grown up with plus my car like 98 better than 95. Runs smoother, does more k's...
Old 27-10-2010, 08:19 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by red dragon2002 View Post
hello and welcome, lots of info on this site just remember to use the search button + don't sms talk and you won't get anal...

for the price of the two, id rather use 98 anyway its not that much price difference... not sure but i think if you read the car manual it will tell you 95 is fine, but i think thats what it said for the older rexys

nice collection of cars by the way
Sadly, it's not a current collection!

Yes the manual suggests 95RON. I find 98RON so hard to find and am mostlylimited to Caltex/Woolworths (so I can use my rewards points ). I have found that my fuel economy varies with the petrol station I frequent which is a concern.
Old 27-10-2010, 08:23 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Welcome!

Hopefully you enjoy your WRX... with the stereo, if you're after better sound then you could swap out the speakers for better units. If it's the head unit you don't like then I have no idea if the steering wheel buttons work.

Fuel wise, if the car's manual says use 98RON then use it. If it doesn't then you can probably get away with 95, but 98 is just so much better than 95. Both the family cars I've grown up with plus my car like 98 better than 95. Runs smoother, does more k's...
It's the head unit. It annoys me when I am skipping mp3 tracks to find it cycling back to the start of the current folder instead of moving on to the next folder. If I don't cycle and let it play it will play through. The display only shows 12 characters of the mp3 track title which after the track number and spacing means only 7 or 8 characters are shown - very frustrating.
Old 27-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sayers at standard level

I use 98 ultimate all the time. Costs a bit more, gives you a bit more power. I guess it averages out.
Old 27-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Welcome!

Is it the stock head unit that your are having problems with?
Might be an idea to speak to City Subaru and see if they can have a look at fixing/replacing it.

Could it also be an issue with the format of the music your listening to?
I've had several mp3 files either pause, skip or refuse to play, which was replicated in another car stereo, turns out the issue was the encoding on the music.

You can upgrade your headunit and get a module that allows your to carry the steering wheel controls across.
If you have time free during the week I would suggest speaking to Macey @ Westside Car Audio in Cannington as he will be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Soksta; 27-10-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 27-10-2010, 08:54 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
Welcome!

Is it the stock head unit that your are having problems with?
Might be an idea to speak to City Subaru and see if they can have a look at fixing/replacing it.

Could it also be an issue with the format of the music your listening to?
I've had several mp3 files either pause, skip or refuse to play, which was replicated in another car stereo, turns out the issue was the encoding on the music.

You can upgrade your headunit and get a module that allows your to carry the steering wheel controls across.
If you have time free during the week I would suggest speaking to Macey @ Westside Car Audio in Cannington as he will be able to point you in the right direction.
I would prefer to not see my salesman ever again - waste of human dna. The problems I have are all to do with the (lack of) functionality. I will head over to Westside when I'm next over there - hell I may go over there this weekend. It's on Albany Hwy right?
Old 27-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Your have too much money. Give me some.

Hi.
Old 27-10-2010, 09:10 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

What is Subaru charging for the sat/nav option again?

Tags
car dvd player, fuel, perth